All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Evening muckas, I hope your all well.

I’m in The process of rejoining after 10 years out after a lower back injury- I’ve been 9 years free of any pain or injury in terms of my back, the forms are with the doctor currently to sign and stamp and send back and then it’s onto selection centre at lichfield all being well. My question is, what’s generally covered in the assessment centre full medical now, How long do they take?

many thanks in advance

M
How far into the process and how old are you ?

Sky94

Crow
How far into the process and how old are you ?
just waiting for the all clear from the medical review team after getting forms signed by the doctor and then a date now for selection centre (all held up by corona), I’m 27 now . Running the 2.1k in 9 minutes 40 at the minute.

Joeyy13

Swinger
just waiting for the all clear from the medical review team after getting forms signed by the doctor and then a date now for selection centre (all held up by corona), I’m 27 now . Running the 2.1k in 9 minutes 40 at the minute.
It's only a 2k/1.2miles you need to run after a 800m/0.5mile warm up, so either way looks like your fine tho.. Depending on job role. Good luck mate

3CB

Crow
Does anyone know the policy on whether or not lens surgery is something that would prevent you from joining?
I'm not sure If my eyesight is -6 worse (I can't find my prescription) and I know if it's worse than -6 even if you do laser eye surgery to correct it, you can't join so I was looking into whether I could do lens surgery rather than laser eye surgery
Many thanks

Bob65

Old-Salt
Does anyone know the policy on whether or not lens surgery is something that would prevent you from joining?
I'm not sure If my eyesight is -6 worse (I can't find my prescription) and I know if it's worse than -6 even if you do laser eye surgery to correct it, you can't join so I was looking into whether I could do lens surgery rather than laser eye surgery
Many thanks
The permissible eye surgeries are listed in JSP950 and there’s no “lens surgery” on that list. Whatever that is.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The permissible eye surgeries are listed in JSP950 and there’s no “lens surgery” on that list. Whatever that is.
Cutting the old lens out and ramming a new one in.
A friend had both his done two years ago and could bin his prescription lenses immediately.

Bob65

Old-Salt
Cutting the old lens out and ramming a new one in.
A friend had both his done two years ago and could bin his prescription lenses immediately.
The list is: PRK, LASIK, LASEK and ICS. But the OP will still need to prove he was within +/- 6 beforehand - best find the prescription or pop along to Specsavers and get a new one (the Army will give you a form for the opticians to fill in anyway).

HELLO , I'm 18 and waiting to start my application for the army I am wondering if I can get into the infantry with red and green colour blind or not. Its not bad and I have never had a problem with it but was just wondering.
Thank you

HELLO , I'm 18 and waiting to start my application for the army I am wondering if I can get into the infantry with red and green colour blind or not. Its not bad and I have never had a problem with it but was just wondering.
Thank you
Red/Green myself, really bad aswell as I failed the secondary test they give you (Isihara and then a holms-wright lantern test). Infantry will be open to you, as well the likes of artillery, cavalry, etc. All of the direct combat roles were available to me.

The only issue you'll run into is trades and technical roles, I had no RE, no Sigs, one REME role (the halfords storefront job, can't remember what it's called), even some of the RLC roles weren't available (obviously Ammo Tech isn't an option, but the likes of movement controller weren't on my list of jobs). Some of the roles, depending on how you score and how stretched for manpower they are, might offer a waiver, which is how I got into my corps despite my colourblindness, and according to the WO2 who interviewed me, some of the jobs are attempting to change their colour vision requirements but I'm unsure how far along that is (this was over a year ago now).

Either way, at the end of your selection they'll give you a print off list of all of the roles that you qualify for, taking into account both your ACT score, your run times and your colour vision, and you don't need to make a decision on what you do (if you choose anything at all), there and then at selection.

Red/Green myself, really bad aswell as I failed the secondary test they give you (Isihara and then a holms-wright lantern test). Infantry will be open to you, as well the likes of artillery, cavalry, etc. All of the direct combat roles were available to me.

The only issue you'll run into is trades and technical roles, I had no RE, no Sigs, one REME role (the halfords storefront job, can't remember what it's called), even some of the RLC roles weren't available (obviously Ammo Tech isn't an option, but the likes of movement controller weren't on my list of jobs). Some of the roles, depending on how you score and how stretched for manpower they are, might offer a waiver, which is how I got into my corps despite my colourblindness, and according to the WO2 who interviewed me, some of the jobs are attempting to change their colour vision requirements but I'm unsure how far along that is (this was over a year ago now).

Either way, at the end of your selection they'll give you a print off list of all of the roles that you qualify for, taking into account both your ACT score, your run times and your colour vision, and you don't need to make a decision on what you do (if you choose anything at all), there and then at selection.
Hello is this recent or is this from years ago

Lienad

Crow
I shattered the joint in my big metatarsal in my foot 5 years ago the doctors expressed concern about arthritis years down the road because the surface of the joint had lots of cracks. 6 months later i had a cortisol injection. It still hurt because i went to work early and spent 10-12 hours on my feet. It then got better and has been fine ever since. I don't know if it makes a difference but i run ultra races so it obviously doesn't bother me.

7 years ago I had a scratch on my cornea that kept recurring for a year. Admitted to hospital and a procedure was performed that involved scratching it again to allow it to heal. Its been fine ever since.

Anybody had experience with these types of injuries? I'm asking here because I'm currently in Canada. If I'm told i don't have a chance then I'm not wasting money on the flights.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I shattered the joint in my big metatarsal in my foot 5 years ago the doctors expressed concern about arthritis years down the road because the surface of the joint had lots of cracks. 6 months later i had a cortisol injection. It still hurt because i went to work early and spent 10-12 hours on my feet. It then got better and has been fine ever since. I don't know if it makes a difference but i run ultra races so it obviously doesn't bother me.

7 years ago I had a scratch on my cornea that kept recurring for a year. Admitted to hospital and a procedure was performed that involved scratching it again to allow it to heal. Its been fine ever since.

Anybody had experience with these types of injuries? I'm asking here because I'm currently in Canada. If I'm told i don't have a chance then I'm not wasting money on the flights.
Don't you need residency too ?

Lienad

Crow
Don't you need residency too ?
I can't find much on that. Apparently I'm not classed as a resident in Canada because my visa is a temporary work permit. I've got a postal address in the UK. I thought I read something about it about 6 months ago but I've spent hours looking and I can't find it on the army website anymore. On live chat the guy said if I'm British then i can apply.

Also the army scrapped the need for commonwealth citizens to have residency in the UK before hand and as I'm a British citizen I'm hoping I'll be alright. I know its a slightly complicated and rare scenario. I'll have to ring AFCO.

Last edited:

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
The Army is not currently accepting applications from Commonwealth candidates or inviting them to the UK for assessment during the COVID-19 restrictions.

Lienad

Crow
The Army is not currently accepting applications from Commonwealth candidates or inviting them to the UK for assessment during the COVID-19 restrictions.
Yes. I'm not a commonwealth candidate. I'm British on a long holiday that allows me to legally work.

Latest Threads