All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Hello, could anyone help me find in the jsp 950 where is talks about iron deficiency?

In 2018 I passed out due to my iron levels being low and now have been requested to go to my doctors and get a full blood count.
JSP 950 is a restricted document in the respect that it is not unclassified and has a security marking of OFFICIAL. Any document that has a security marking (ie is not unclassified) can not be published on the www.

You will find old versions of the document online but the current version is not (officially).

Sorry

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on a P8.just failed my army medical as they found a atrial septal defect on my echo but prior to that( 3 weeks )before my army medical i had a echo at my local university for some fitness tests i did for college and no defect was found,i have seen my cardiologist and i have to wait a couple of weeks for another echo to see what exactly is going on but he said if i have this defect it will not affect me in any way,he even cleared me for a skydive,i did my 1.5 mile run in 6mins 45,i'm a amateur boxer with a couple of fights under my wing and played for a premier league footy academy team till i was 16 so i'm fit and healthy so gutted if i can't get in,anyone got any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just a quick question. I had eczema when i was younger, about 6yo to 10 or 12 at most, it was quite bad couldn't have really soapy baths or go in the sea/anything salty. I've not had for about 7-10 years and I can go in the sea and I have "normal" bodywash in showers. Basically I'm wondering whether this will be a problem in the recruitment stage of the army as its on my medical records (I'm guessing since i had prescription cream) but I no longer have it not even scars from scratches.

Yhtony

Swinger
I passed Army selection in May, after seeing out my deferral until December i was told i am all clear to join, now my recruiter has given me more forms to give to my doctor for my medical files as the last forms were sent over 12 months ago.

Does anyone know if this is the usual process for anyone who's been in the system for over 12 months ?

amnesia

Old-Salt
I passed Army selection in May, after seeing out my deferral until December i was told i am all clear to join, now my recruiter has given me more forms to give to my doctor for my medical files as the last forms were sent over 12 months ago.

Does anyone know if this is the usual process for anyone who's been in the system for over 12 months ?
Yes it is normal.

A candidate's medical records are only valid for 12 months.

mccarronm3

Clanker

Anything can happen within 12 month so they renew them incase your medical records have changed (I’m guessing)

Anyone heard anything at all on the whole sickle cell and blood testing? Being patient BUT when all I get is to callback later and later never comes. This has delayed my application by 6 weeks so far.
And yes I get the safety aspect but I could literally walk into any sickle testing centre and get a test within a day or two. Wouldn’t that just make it easier than deferring all with foreign bloods???

forerunner

Swinger
I attended selection last week at Pirbright and got a conditional pass, I had a medical defer pending an eye test report from an optician. I’ve had the eye test and just wondered if anyone can tell me if all is ok so I can get a date for phase one ?
My left eye is slightly blurry but my right eye is perfect, I can see perfectly to be fair. What are the requirements ?

amnesia

Old-Salt
I attended selection last week at Pirbright and got a conditional pass, I had a medical defer pending an eye test report from an optician. I’ve had the eye test and just wondered if anyone can tell me if all is ok so I can get a date for phase one ?
My left eye is slightly blurry but my right eye is perfect, I can see perfectly to be fair. What are the requirements ?
You should have submitted the opticians report after it was issued to you at the Army Brief. If you had, you would have received a Pass instead of a CP.

Its a normal eye test, they dont require any additional information beyond what you would get on your normal prescription card

forerunner

Swinger
You should have submitted the opticians report after it was issued to you at the Army Brief. If you had, you would have received a Pass instead of a CP.

Its a normal eye test, they dont require any additional information beyond what you would get on your normal prescription card
Thank you for your reply just didn’t expect it as never had issues with my eyes but know what you mean, flew through this with the reserves couple years ago and didn’t need a report. The report states
Left eye
Uncorrected 6/9+
Corrected 6/5
Right eye
Uncorrected 6/5
Corrected 6/5

amnesia

Old-Salt
Thank you for your reply just didn’t expect it as never had issues with my eyes but know what you mean, flew through this with the reserves couple years ago and didn’t need a report. The report states
Left eye
Uncorrected 6/9+
Corrected 6/5
Right eye
Uncorrected 6/5
Corrected 6/5
You ticked yes to one of the questions on the Dental and Eyesight form you filled in at the AFCO on the day of the Brief.

Im not a clinician, and PULHEEMS isnt my strong point, so I dont want to make a comment on the quality of your eyesight. I wouldnt want to give you any incorrect information.

forerunner

Swinger
You ticked yes to one of the questions on the Dental and Eyesight form you filled in at the AFCO on the day of the Brief.

Im not a clinician, and PULHEEMS isnt my strong point, so I dont want to make a comment on the quality of your eyesight. I wouldnt want to give you any incorrect information.
I fully understand and know what your saying, didn’t know I needed an eye test report until after my medical as I’ve never had issues with my eyes.

JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7
NEUROLOGICAL PRE-ENTRY ANNEX G
4.G.7c

Candidates with any of the following criteria should be graded P8. …. Use of prophylactic medication for migraine in the last 2 years.​

Back in October 2019 this was the reason for my two year deferral, although I have been off medication and been symptom free since January 2019. Therefore should the date I may reapply not be January 2021 instead of October 2021, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but when I got mail through portal I thought scew it what's the point, and with all my friends now leaving I was curious if I could get earlier than October NEXT year

James

amnesia

Old-Salt
JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7
NEUROLOGICAL PRE-ENTRY ANNEX G
4.G.7c

Candidates with any of the following criteria should be graded P8. …. Use of prophylactic medication for migraine in the last 2 years.

Back in October 2019 this was the reason for my two year deferral, although I have been off medication and been symptom free since January 2019. Therefore should the date I may reapply not be January 2021 instead of October 2021, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but when I got mail through portal I thought scew it what's the point, and with all my friends now leaving I was curious if I could get earlier than October NEXT year

James
It is impossible for anybody to give you an accurate answer without reading your medical records.

If you believe the decision is incorrect then you should appeal.

It is impossible for anybody to give you an accurate answer without reading your medical records.

If you believe the decision is incorrect then you should appeal.
Thanks for the reply. I understand but I had a migraine I was treated with propanaol, the last dose was January 2019, they said deferral period begins once you are symptom and treatment free for 2 year, but I had already been symptom and treatment free for 9 months so shouldn't that been subtracted from the two years and be able to continue with application on January 2021 exactly 2 years from last medication

amnesia

Old-Salt
Thanks for the reply. I understand but I had a migraine I was treated with propanaol, the last dose was January 2019, they said deferral period begins once you are symptom and treatment free for 2 year, but I had already been symptom and treatment free for 9 months so shouldn't that been subtracted from the two years and be able to continue with application on January 2021 exactly 2 years from last medication
Yes, it should. But they have given you October for a reason: either there is something in your medical records that makes them believe October is correct, or they have made an error (probably based on inaccurate information in your med. records.

Either way you need to speak to your GP to understand what is written in your records - either as basis for an appeal, or to understand why they have decided on October.

Yes, it should. But they have given you October for a reason: either there is something in your medical records that makes them believe October is correct, or they have made an error (probably based on inaccurate information in your med. records.

Either way you need to speak to your GP to understand what is written in your records - either as basis for an appeal, or to understand why they have decided on October.
I see, thanks I'll get evidence from GP then send an appeal, also for sending appeal I'm unsure as how to find my URN

amnesia

Old-Salt
I see, thanks I'll get evidence from GP then send an appeal, also for sending appeal I'm unsure as how to find my URN
Im sure it will in your portal somewhere, it will start with either 100000, or 200000.

Failing that your Recruiter or CSM will be able to give it to you.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi regarding mental health

on my medical history i have minor depressive episodes of low mood with a precipitating triggers, every time i had low mood it was due to one thing, i have one note stating minor depressed, with that only one time this is all clear over 2 years of symptoms

im assuming id be graded s2 for that or could anyone give me more information on that
The extreme physical and mental duress routinely encountered in training and operationally as a trained rank means that the Army is exceptionally & rightfully wary with regard the medical suitability for service of any applicant with a history of mental health issues, particularly if medication is involved.

Anti depressants is two years from completion of treatment if less than a 12 month period, more than 12 months is definitely a grading of unfit regardless of circumstances.

@amnesia can confirm/ is better placed.

Latest Threads