All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Ozzy00

Clanker
Oh and I forgot to point out you will have to do the apprehension test which could be either with your GP or at Selection but I dont know

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi Mate
DISCLAIMER I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR PART OF THE RECRUITMENT TEAM
Ive had a look thru JSP 950 because I thought it said something about surgical Stabilization and I found this:
View attachment 449909
So it would seem as long as its been 12 months since the surgery and you have no limitations or symptoms you should be okay.
However again I could be wrong and I would contact the recruitment team
Wish you the best of luck
Regards
Ozzy
Be aware that you keep quoting an outdated JSP 950 mate. The last update on JSP950 was Aug2019.

Last edited:

Joeyy13

Swinger
Wow! Thanks for this info. I didn’t know they only worked 2 days per week!
Are you a re-joiner too??
No problem, sort of I done 11 weeks of the basic training then I chose to come out due to stuff back home, which I regret. So I'm what they call an "untrained rejoiner". When did you send off your apeal? And if you don't mind me asking which apeal is it? as may be different Drs for a level 2 compared to a 1a and 1b

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hey Bobby could you link the latest JSP 2019? , cannot find it anywere and cannot remember were I found it last time
Thank you
Afraid not.

It is accessible via the Defence Gateway however. Serving personnel and your career manager will be able to access. They’ve restricted access to the public. Perhaps try an FOI request.

Guidance on publishing Vol 11 of JSP 950 simply refers to its classification. Which is currently marked as Official.

All government information assets can be classified into three types: OFFICIAL, SECRET and TOP SECRET. Each attracts a baseline set of security controls providing appropriate protection against typical threats. Additionally, ICT systems and services may require enhanced controls to manage the associated risks to aggregated data or to manage integrity and availability concern.

Nonetheless, please bare in mind the 2017 edition is now out of date and may contradict the current Service entry medical standards promulgated in the Aug 2020 JSP 950.

maped

Crow
Appreciate nobody can give me a concrete answer, but from experience is there any hope at all for any of the forces for an ACL reconstruction nearly 10 years ago?

Levi13

Crow
Hi I’m new to this site , I applied for the army , passed my phone call triage and had my careers interview and then my doctor sent my medical history to the army and they have deemed me unfit due to 2 counts of depression in the past, I have good reasons to why I had depression and can prove why I had depression at the time , will it be worth appeal ?

Ozzy00

Clanker
Hi I’m new to this site , I applied for the army , passed my phone call triage and had my careers interview and then my doctor sent my medical history to the army and they have deemed me unfit due to 2 counts of depression in the past, I have good reasons to why I had depression and can prove why I had depression at the time , will it be worth appeal ?
Hi Mate
DISCLAIMER I AM NOT MEDICALLY TRAINED NOT PART OF THE BRITISH ARMY RECRUITMENT TEAM
Its always worth an appeal however you need Medical Proof about anything you say
However I have had a look on JSP 950 (HOWEVER THIS WAS UPDATED RECENTLY AND I CANNOT ACCESS) But i found this:
SmartSelect_20200217-215725_Drive.jpg

So take from that what you will
Just remember if you do appeal make sure yiu have Clinical Proofm
Regards
Ozzy

Hollz2412

Swinger
Hey everyone so after passing triage and booking my selection the army received my medical records and have denied me on something that I was told in 2017 if I waited 3 years I’d be fine to join. Anyone heard of this before? Is it worth appealing? Also do all the services follow the same medical guidelines or are they different for each of them? Thanks.

DocSavage

Clanker
Appreciate nobody can give me a concrete answer, but from experience is there any hope at all for any of the forces for an ACL reconstruction nearly 10 years ago?
Unfortunately any acl repair no matter when will be considered unfit for service. It is the same for all 3 services, regular and reserve.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
From my limited time in recruitment my understanding is that ACL reconstruction surgery is unfortunately a bar to entry. No ifs or buts. That said, only the Medical Examiner is able to give definitive guidance in this area (which @DocSavage is absolutely qualified to do so).

An ACL tear, without surgery is not necessarily a bar in all circumstances. Sorry it’s not the answer you were hoping for.

maped

Crow
From my limited time in recruitment my understanding is that ACL reconstruction surgery is unfortunately a bar to entry. No ifs or buts. That said, only the Medical Examiner is able to give definitive guidance in this area (which @DocSavage is absolutely qualified to do so).

An ACL tear, without surgery is not necessarily a bar in all circumstances. Sorry it’s not the answer you were hoping for.
@DocSavage thank you. I presume medical appeals won’t help? Have had a very active life with no problems.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
@DocSavage thank you. I presume medical appeals won’t help? Have had a very active life with no problems.
Sorry but you cannot appeal against a standard just because you don’t think it applies to you.

If the standard precludes someone from joining because of a medical issue and an applicant has that issue then it’s that simple I’m afraid. You either had an ACL reconstruction or you didn’t.

You cannot overturn a medical standard to suit you. Nonetheless- check and confirm with your AFCO as I have a feeling there has been some changes in policy with regards to ACL/MCL surgery.

Last edited:
So after having to complete a 12 week fitness diary to prove my back can handle the stress of training( I fractured it nearly 20 years ago) I've sent it away, anyone have an idea for how long a decision will take and if anyone has had a similar situation what the outcome for them was

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
So after having to complete a 12 week fitness diary to prove my back can handle the stress of training( I fractured it nearly 20 years ago) I've sent it away, anyone have an idea for how long a decision will take and if anyone has had a similar situation what the outcome for them was
Potentially months. They have a very substantial backlog. Certainly don’t expect anything this side of Easter.

Hollz2412

Swinger
Hey everyone so after passing triage and booking my selection the army received my medical records and have denied me on something that I was told in 2017 if I waited 3 years I’d be fine to join. Anyone heard of this before? Is it worth appealing? Also do all the services follow the same medical guidelines or are they different for each of them? Thanks.

Latest Threads