All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

mccarronm3

Clanker
any rejoiners done the medical to rejoin as ta? what happens after the medical, will i be on a refresher course as ive been out over 2 years? was in the regs

Reposting this here since I posted in the wrong place - would be grateful for any thoughts.

——————————

Hi there,

I’m a first time poster after lurking on this site for tips and advice, and thought I’d ask here given Army recruitment are being a bit unclear.

I’ve been training all year to get back into shape (losing a few stone in the process) and, having looked into it around March time, thought joining the Reserves would be a good way to keep fit and do new things in my spare time.

With my life story out of the way, having jumped through all the hoops I had an AC booked in for this week. To my extreme annoyance and inconvenience, my side started flaring up about a month ago and I was very quickly pulled into surgery to have my appendix removed. Whilst it is routine surgery (under general anaesthetic), it’s put me out for a number of weeks, and I had to cancel and rearrange my AC.

When looking to book a new AC in the new year (after originally being told this wouldn’t be a problem) my CSM has told me that my application has been withdrawn due to my operation and I can’t apply for another 12 months (and would have to start again). I can’t find any guidance about this online, but this strikes me as rather odd and for me personally has been really disappointing, especially considering I’m basically back on my feet already.

Is this standard protocol? Do you know where I can find out more about my deferral? I no longer have the contact details of my CSM as I’ve lost access to the portal. I’d really appreciate your help.

Ta

Reposting this here since I posted in the wrong place - would be grateful for any thoughts.

——————————

Hi there,

I’m a first time poster after lurking on this site for tips and advice, and thought I’d ask here given Army recruitment are being a bit unclear.

I’ve been training all year to get back into shape (losing a few stone in the process) and, having looked into it around March time, thought joining the Reserves would be a good way to keep fit and do new things in my spare time.

With my life story out of the way, having jumped through all the hoops I had an AC booked in for this week. To my extreme annoyance and inconvenience, my side started flaring up about a month ago and I was very quickly pulled into surgery to have my appendix removed. Whilst it is routine surgery (under general anaesthetic), it’s put me out for a number of weeks, and I had to cancel and rearrange my AC.

When looking to book a new AC in the new year (after originally being told this wouldn’t be a problem) my CSM has told me that my application has been withdrawn due to my operation and I can’t apply for another 12 months (and would have to start again). I can’t find any guidance about this online, but this strikes me as rather odd and for me personally has been really disappointing, especially considering I’m basically back on my feet already.

Is this standard protocol? Do you know where I can find out more about my deferral? I no longer have the contact details of my CSM as I’ve lost access to the portal. I’d really appreciate your help.

Ta

not the very latest version but...

12. Candidates with a history of open or laparoscopic abdominal surgery should be assessed following the guidance below. Care should be exercised to ensure that the original reason for such surgery is not disqualifying in itself.

a. Candidates who have undergone surgery during the preceding 6 months are normally graded P8.
b. Laparoscopy. Candidates who have had diagnostic laparoscopy and other procedures such as appendicectomy and laparoscopic sterilisation with a low risk of late complications may be assessed as P2 on return to full physical activity.

amnesia

Old-Salt

——————————

Hi there,

Ta
Ok, two issues here.

First, your CSM shouldnt be making decisions about your medical eligibility - they aren't medically trained and he or she has overstepped their remit.

You will only be classed as deferred if you received a formal notification in your portal that also quotes a section of JSP.

Secondly, removal of the appendix is treated differently to normal operations (which are generally subject to a 12 month deferral).

Candidates only need to "return to full physical activity" to be classed fit.

See Appendix E, section 12 of JSP950.

My advice....reapply once you back to full physical ability.

not the very latest version but...
interesting... I had laparoscopic surgery too (although I have to admit I’m not exactly at full physical activity yet)

Ok, two issues here.

First, your CSM shouldnt be making decisions about your medical eligibility - they aren't medically trained and he or she has overstepped their remit.

You will only be classed as deferred if you received a formal notification in your portal that also quotes a section of JSP.

Secondly, removal of the appendix is treated differently to normal operations (which are generally subject to a 12 month deferral).

Candidates only need to "return to full physical activity" to be classed fit.

See Appendix E, section 12 of JSP950.

My advice....reapply once you back to full physical ability.
wow, it seems my CSM has got this wrong completely. Such a shame I didn’t know this earlier as I have to admit I’ve really taken my foot off the pedal diet wise the last few weeks. Ah well will have to get back on it in the new year.

thanks both for your help! Excited thinking I can pick this back up in the next couple of months

mccarronm3

Clanker
Could anyone tell me how long it takes roughly to hear back from an appeal? Just gone 4 weeks of waiting Wednesday gone.
Mine took 2 days, my pals took a month or two, just depends

mccarronm3

Clanker
Okay not a problem. Mines just taken four weeks total now and I received an email yesterday to say that my review has now been passed to a senior military doctor. Is that good news or will be outcome be that I’ll be rejected again?
Dunno mate it’s not me reviewing it good luck but

Juice

Swinger
Hello, I'm a Lithuanian national. Applying for a British passport in 2 months. I have just found out that they dont notarise medical records in Lithuania, they only translate them. I'm trying to call army recruiting centre but its going to voicmail, because of the holidays I think. Wondering if anyone knows whether the translated medical documents must be notarised in order to be considered by the British army. Thanks

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hello, I'm a Lithuanian national. Applying for a British passport in 2 months. I have just found out that they dont notarise medical records in Lithuania, they only translate them. I'm trying to call army recruiting centre but its going to voicmail, because of the holidays I think. Wondering if anyone knows whether the translated medical documents must be notarised in order to be considered by the British army. Thanks
I've never heard of overseas medical notes needing to be notarized, translation should be fine. I've worked with a few candidates this year who had overseas medical notes and its not something that has ever come up.

The National Recruiting Centre is closed until Monday.

Juice

Swinger
I've never heard of overseas medical notes needing to be notarized, translation should be fine. I've worked with a few candidates this year who had overseas medical notes and its not something that has ever come up.

The National Recruiting Centre is closed until Monday.
Ok, thanks for that!

QUESTION REGARDING HEARING

I've spent the past hour or so looking everywhere and have been able to find that they test you at 6 different frequencies in each ear, 3 for low frequencies, 3 for high. I've attached an image to make things a bit easier to understand but basically to get a H1 you have to get a "sum of hearing level at low/high freq in dB no more than 45",

I'm confused as to whether this means the scores for the 3 low frequencies IN ONE EAR ADDED UP have to be no more than 45, OR all 6 scores for left and right ears for the low frequencies ALL ADDED UP have to be no more than 45?

Maybe anyone could give a bit of help? e.g if I have 25,15,15 for the 3 low frequencies in one ear does that mean I'm H2 or not ? (20,20,15 in the other ear for the 3 low frequencies, confused as to whether the 25,15,15 and 20,20,15 get added up ?)

Hi, I was diagnosed with adhd age 6. About 15 months ago I took medication for it only for 3 months. Will this stop me from getting it? It was medikinet 30mg so only a low dose. I read somewhere you need to be 3 years off meds and somewhere else only a year. If anyone has access to the new rules regarding this that would be great.
Thanks

mccarronm3

Clanker
sorry if its been asked before

not been given the information yet, at the 1 day medical selection for re-joiners is it a case of get picked up at the station in the morning and dropped off again after the medical? or do you arrive the night before?

anyone able to shed any light on it?

mccarronm3

Clanker
Hi, I was diagnosed with adhd age 6. About 15 months ago I took medication for it only for 3 months. Will this stop me from getting it? It was medikinet 30mg so only a low dose. I read somewhere you need to be 3 years off meds and somewhere else only a year. If anyone has access to the new rules regarding this that would be great.
Thanks
3 years, theres a thread about it i saw

Latest Threads