All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Cheers. What’s the alternative? Other than ACF which I’m not drawn to to be honest.

Tell them all about the migraines, wait for 2 years symptom free and join then?

Or is a P8 not fit ever, don’t even bother.
see a doctor for a pre-joining medical - they are the only ones who can give you chapter and verse - for *some* conditions there are "wait x years and try again if symptom free" and some are "no, never". Also see my post above on alternatives.

At this point, I'm going to apologise to the medically qualified who do post on this thread - I only followed the OP over because he'd posted questions that I *could* answer on the original thread - and withdraw.

Bottom line is, a couple of posters that read this thread might be able to give you more help on the medical side of things, otherwise you really do need to bite the bullet and see an actual doctor in an actual consultation as part of a joining process that might not go anywhere.

If you ask the "what can I do instead" questions elsewhere on the site then you might get more help from more people, including me, but this really needs to stay as the medical questions thread.

BulbHead

Swinger
I’m looking at joining the reserves, but I’ve read that if you’ve had a migraine in the last 2 years or get migraine they’ll bin you off? Or at least defer you until a time comes that you’ve not had one for 2 years.

Is there a way around this? Will they allow you if you’re joining the reserves?

I know it might sound like a silly question but if you have a minor condition, can you join but they’d restrict you from going on operations or deployments? I used to work with a bloke who was in the then TA who said he wouldn’t be deployed because of his knee, is it possible to still join but not deployed? If that is the case or is it silly BS?

After all I can run a mile in under 8 minutes, bench press 100kg, I’m quite fit and active mentally and physically. I just get 2 or 3 migraines a year where I need to go take co-codamol and to bed for a few hours.
@Post are your migraines something you have been to the doctor about in the past two years? Or do you just self-medicate at home and get on with life?

The reason I ask is, if your records don't mention migraines in the last two years, how would they know...? Although, it's your call whether you disclose it to them or not, and if it isn't in your records then it's down to you to decide whether to risk it for a biscuit and hope it doesn't bite you in the arrse down the line...

Clanker
@Post are your migraines something you have been to the doctor about in the past two years? Or do you just self-medicate at home and get on with life?

The reason I ask is, if your records don't mention migraines in the last two years, how would they know...? Although, it's your call whether you disclose it to them or not, and if it isn't in your records then it's down to you to decide whether to risk it for a biscuit and hope it doesn't bite you in the arrse down the line...
Exactly that. There’s is something on my record but longer than 2 years ago. I think it would depend completely on what I told them.

BulbHead

Swinger
Exactly that. There’s is something on my record but longer than 2 years ago. I think it would depend completely on what I told them.
In which case, it is down to your judgement whether to make them aware of it. If you do, then you will likely be deferred or outright rejected. But if you don't, you're risking yourself and others in the event of an episode down the line. All depends on your assessment of the severity and likely triggers.

ugly

LE
Thanks for your help.
Dont worry about what others have said, joining up isn't and doesn't have to be a selfless sacrifice for Q&C. Its sold as giving advantages to you. Now if you still think its worth trying go for it. A medical downgrade/classification isn't with you for life!

Cheers. What’s the alternative? Other than ACF which I’m not drawn to to be honest.

Tell them all about the migraines, wait for 2 years symptom free and join then?

Or is a P8 not fit ever, don’t even bother.
P8 can be permenant, some conditions are a not a chance, you'll never get in. Many have a deferral period until a condition has cleared, or surgery has been completed and a time period set aside to ensure everything is stable.
Some need to be symptom and treatment free for a set period.

ugly

LE
Thats not strictly true - Permanently Medically Unfit - PMU - is called permanent for a reason.

Not always I grant you, but often.
Fair point, take a lollypop!
I'm permanently downgraded but I have been better and worse over the years!

heinz59

Clanker
I had my triage phone call and answered all the questions the best I could but when they mention the latest doctors visit I mentioned my broken foot like 2 years ago because I forgot o had another appointment since then (I have scar tissue in my chest and only just remembered cause checking dangly things is important)
Do I phone them back up or mention at f2f cause now I’m thinking is my integrity compromised by simply forgetting?

danielwayne

Swinger
Well guys, the unthinkable and outrageous has happened to me and I am quite heartbroken because of it (the reasons are understandable).
Without writing a text that might resemble a novelette, this is my situation: I am a British-Portuguese guy (31 years old) who swiftly decided to join the British Army as soon as I found out that the enlistment rules had been modified (that which prevented me from joining before was the fact that I never lived in the United Kingdom).
Convinced that I would be accepted, I have essentially “shelved” my Portuguese life (assets transferred to someone else, notified the tax authorities, etc.).
That which halted my application (initiated in January) was the fact that I had no medical records in the UK (understandable). Once I got them (not an easy job, Portugal is not like the UK on matters such as these, and on top of that I was never medically assisted in any hospital – the only thing they had was my vaccines, which are all to date).
I then, after doing a check-up (blood and urine tests, electrocardiogram and some x-rays), had to translate them from Portuguese to English (a service which was not cheap).
I sent them last week. They do not reveal any condition whatsoever (how could they? I never had any medical problems in the past and I do not smoke nor drink, and I am someone who does physical exercises frequently).

The thing (finally!) is, I need teeth braces for reasons that are primarily aesthetic (according to my dentist), a fact I stated in a paper I filled in when I was at the Army Recruitment Centre. I could do without the braces. The dentist I went to also told me I still have two baby teeth and that one wisdom tooth should be removed. I do not have any tooth cavities, etc. I actually considered taking care of this 6 months ago, but decided not to do so because I feared that having braces might delay my joining the Army.
Today I received two messages. One telling me that the situation regarding my teeth had caused the deferment of my application, due to "active orthodontic treatment", "the reason is due to your ongoing dental treatment". There is absolutely nothing undergoing at the moment nor do I have any appointment scheduled with any dentist.
The second one informing me that the deferment was of 9 months. After all I have done, all the money spent on travels back and forth, translations, medical appointments, medical exams, etc., an issue to me trivial has torpedoed my application and tossed me into a horrible, unjust spot.
9 months! I mean, this is utterly daft. And unfair.
What can I do? Phone the NRC Medical Staff? Write them a letter? Are there any chances of my deferment being modified?

Thanks.
I appealed and was informed today that it was successful.

Thanks to those here who answered my questions.

Does everyone do the triage phone calls?

LongStride

Swinger
Wondering if anyone can help/shed light on what I can do to appeal?

I had my assessment December last year, passed everything and got my (conditional pass) certificate.
Conditional due to the dipstick urine test showing trace amounts of blood (painless non visible haematuria)
I was told I need to prove I am all well with no serious medical conditions
I’ve spent nearly a year being poked and prodded, cameras shoved in my bits (rigid Cystoscopy) bladder and kidney ultrasound and other xrays, rectal examinations, blood tests and more visits to hospitals and doctors then I ever have in my life.

In June I sent a cover note, doctors note and a small tree worth Of medical evidence. Which all showed satisfactory results and proof of no medical conditions and no surgery/further action needed.

Tuesday I finally received a text, saying I had a message in my portal (I was filled with joy, clearly).
I open the portal and they said their deferring me again for 18 months and I have to do all the tests again every 9 months.

ive looked at the JSP 950
ANNEX F
RENAL AND UROLOGICAL PRE-ENTRY section 4 and 5
and from what I can see I have done all I need to, to prove I am medically fit.

I’ve spoken to the recruitment centre and they are not being helpful, wont even let me speak to medical to explain I’ve done all asked of me and proven I’m good to go. If I was to appeal I would need new medical evidence but there is nothing new I can do, plus my test results were absolutely favourable and couldn’t be any better.

If you know what I could do at this point or who to speak to I would be incredibly grateful.

ps. I applied when I was 29 at the end of the deferral period I’ll be near on 33.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You will not get qualified advice on this thread. Only a Service qualified Medical Officer can give definitive guidance in this area. My son is currently at CTC and was made PMU when he initially applied.
From experience the blokes over on Royal Marines - Join the Regular and RMR Commandos can help.

If that link doesn’t work just google “Royal Marines forum”. The replies on here aren’t very helpful. Best of luck.
What exactly do you mean by Service qualifed Medical Officer?

You are aware that the AMS is made up of far more than just doctors?

Some of the posters on here have far more experience of recruitment than a RMO.

Wondering if anyone can help/shed light on what I can do to appeal?

I had my assessment December last year, passed everything and got my (conditional pass) certificate.
Conditional due to the dipstick urine test showing trace amounts of blood (painless non visible haematuria)
I was told I need to prove I am all well with no serious medical conditions
I’ve spent nearly a year being poked and prodded, cameras shoved in my bits (rigid Cystoscopy) bladder and kidney ultrasound and other xrays, rectal examinations, blood tests and more visits to hospitals and doctors then I ever have in my life.

In June I sent a cover note, doctors note and a small tree worth Of medical evidence. Which all showed satisfactory results and proof of no medical conditions and no surgery/further action needed.

Tuesday I finally received a text, saying I had a message in my portal (I was filled with joy, clearly).
I open the portal and they said their deferring me again for 18 months and I have to do all the tests again every 9 months.

ive looked at the JSP 950
ANNEX F
RENAL AND UROLOGICAL PRE-ENTRY section 4 and 5
and from what I can see I have done all I need to, to prove I am medically fit.

I’ve spoken to the recruitment centre and they are not being helpful, wont even let me speak to medical to explain I’ve done all asked of me and proven I’m good to go. If I was to appeal I would need new medical evidence but there is nothing new I can do, plus my test results were absolutely favourable and couldn’t be any better.

If you know what I could do at this point or who to speak to I would be incredibly grateful.

ps. I applied when I was 29 at the end of the deferral period I’ll be near on 33.
Maybe pay a private urologist to write you a letter stating you are clear of everything ?

Last edited:
Hi all,
I went to my f2f interview/brief today, and was told I have to get my full medical records before I can go to AC, because I come under dollar 3 (d3)? Not sure what this means, just wondering if anyone can shed light on what this means and how normal this is, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks PRM-Pav

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hi all,
I went to my f2f interview/brief today, and was told I have to get my full medical records before I can go to AC, because I come under dollar 3 (d3)? Not sure what this means, just wondering if anyone can shed light on what this means and how normal this is, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks PRM-Pav
As you have been told, $3 means that your medical records must be reviewed before a date for AC can be booked for you.

This categorisation was given to you following your medical triage call, and was based on the answers you provided to the clinician.

This differs from $1 or $2 who can be booked to AC before their medical records are reviewed.

Last edited:
As you have been told, $3 means that your medical records must be reviewed before a date for AC can be booked for you.

This categorisation was given to you following your medical triage call, and was based on the answers you provided to the clinician.

This differs from $1 or $2 who can be booked to AC before their medical records are reviewed.
Thanks mate you've cleared up alot for me!

LongStride

Swinger
You will not get qualified advice on this thread. Only a Service qualified Medical Officer can give definitive guidance in this area. My son is currently at CTC and was made PMU when he initially applied.
From experience the blokes over on Royal Marines - Join the Regular and RMR Commandos can help.

If that link doesn’t work just google “Royal Marines forum”. The replies on here aren’t very helpful. Best of luck.
Thanks Tony, I’ll give it a go.
very much appreciated

Latest Threads