All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

oj2k19

Crow
Hello, I’ve applied for the army and I had my brief in the career office today, i’m a tad bit worried as they said before i could continue and get an assessment centre date i had to wait for my doctor to fill in a form due to an operation i had on my leg when i was 9 (i’m 19 now) this was for a osteonecrosis disease in my thigh bone, but as i said i was discharged over 10 years ago, i’m fully functional now and i exercise most days of the week with a current 2km run time of 7:43. i am a little stressed out at the moment because i think i’ll get rejected again as i’ve only just applied after a 3 year deferral for something else. if any current soldiers know what my chances are of getting in all fine with no problems are i’d be grateful to hear your thoughts on my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pittie

Swinger
So my PHCR has expired about a month before my start date (had to do an appeal and then waiting about 8 months for the first intake for my role). Do they just look at anything that's cropped up since the last PHCR was sent (nothing in my case), or is the whole thing going to be re-assessed, and is it possible they'll overlook the past appeal and have me miss my start date?

Sent an email to my CSM regarding it (my GP isn't open on weekends but I probably won't get a reply in time). I figured it was just a year since your selection medical and then you had to re-do that, but I guess the PHCR expires as well.

Last edited:

Jt6255

Crow
Please help!
Hello everyone.
My eldest daughter passed all her tests at Pirbright however we have a issue on the medical front. She passed all the tests at Pirbright however the stumbling block is in her medical notes.
In Nov 2018 she went to the gp as she had chest pai n/ache. I accompanied her. The gp did the usual checks and stated the ache was nothing to concern ourselves with and was in fact growing pains.

However, the note on her medical notes from this states growing pains possible anxiety.

And there's our problem the mention of anxiety has blocked her application.

So we are planning on appealing.

We have an appointment with the gp today although they've already said they cant change what's in her notes nor can they write it wasn't anxiety at the time. Only that she hasn't presented with anxiety symptoms before or since.

We've been advised to get a private assessment but surely that will only show she doesn't have it now?

Any advice on what type of evidence we can get/ wording for appeal/ etc would be more than appreciated. Seems very unfair right now.

Thanks in advance!

Pittie

Swinger
Please help!
Hello everyone.
My eldest daughter passed all her tests at Pirbright however we have a issue on the medical front. She passed all the tests at Pirbright however the stumbling block is in her medical notes (.....)
Can't really offer any specific advice other than to tell your daughter to keep her chin up, I had a lot better time dealing with the appellate team than I did whoever does the initial screenings, and I was talking to a couple of corporals at my trade selection and they also had a lot of bother. The worst part is there's no specific advice or guidelines, with it being related to medical issues which is a landmine for privacy concerns/unqualified medical opinions, litigation, etc.

What I can suggest is to read the JSP 950, the rejection letter should include the exact part that your daughter is running into bother with, and take that with you to your GP (or private GP), so they have an idea of how to word it that will please whoever is assessing it. Ask your GP practice if they have anyone with a focus in that area who may be able to offer more qualified opinions, if it's a practice of more than half a dozen doctors they'll tend to have different areas they're more qualified in, and their opinion holds a bit more sway (this is advice from the head nurse at my selection who convinced me to appeal, which was successful). In your cover letter just state you're appealing the decision and evidence is attached, you aren't qualified to state any medical opinions so don't bother. I kept my appeal all self-contained, so included my cover letter, a copy of the rejection letter, the relevant JSP950 paragraphs, my doctor's letter in support my appeal, as well as a copy of the relevant doctor notes.

I know a couple of years probably seems like an eternity to her, but if her appeals do somehow fall short, she'll likely have more success with a couple of years between her and the one-off event. A couple of years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Jt6255

Crow
Thank you so much for your detailed response. We are off to see the gp in a minute so will go armed with the referral letter.
I really appreciate your kind words and offer of advice.
I will read those notes carefully too.

Jt6255

Crow
So out of the gps now who is going to write a letter to say
She has never been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and has no diagnosis of anxiety disorder now.
Will this be enough?
Is there a template letter for appeal in circulation guys?

Pittie

Swinger
So out of the gps now who is going to write a letter to say
She has never been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and has no diagnosis of anxiety disorder now.
Will this be enough?
Is there a template letter for appeal in circulation guys?
Will send you a PM.

TBCROW

Crow
I've got PCCBC @ RMAS in early October. Does anyone know the difference between an IMA and the medical at selection (AOSB)

Boosting your Immune System

I`m going through treatment for a serious illness but may well survive to torment more of you for longer, I`m in the early stages of doing some scientific reading and it appears most serious illnesses appear when the bodies immune system is reduced , so of course the first thing that comes to mind is how can you boost / wake up your immune system ? it appears theres no simple way , your thoughts ?

Boosting your Immune System

I`m going through treatment for a serious illness but may well survive to torment more of you for longer, I`m in the early stages of doing some scientific reading and it appears most serious illnesses appear when the bodies immune system is reduced , so of course the first thing that comes to mind is how can you boost / wake up your immune system ? it appears theres no simple way , your thoughts ?
Eat good food such as fruit and raw veg. Carrots and parsnips for example cut into ribbons to make them more palatable, broccoli is another good veg to eat raw. There are recipes out there with dips you can put together to make the veg tasty. Cooked tomatoes is another good food as they contain lycopene which has an excellent antioxidant property which is further boosted by cooking. Drink plenty of water too.

Last edited:
Eat good food such as fruit and raw veg. Carrots and parsnips for example cut into ribbons to make them more palatable, broccoli is another good veg to eat raw. There are recipes out there with dips you can put together to make the veg tasty. Cooked tomatoes is another good food as they contain lycopene which has an excellent antioxidant property which is further boosted by cooking. Drink plenty of water too.
I eat a lot of steamed veg but not raw , quite unpalatable , may give it a go though, I`ve seen some people blitz a concoction in a blender , adding a tasty liquid may do the trick,

I eat a lot of steamed veg but not raw , quite unpalatable , may give it a go though, I`ve seen some people blitz a concoction in a blender , adding a tasty liquid may do the trick,
What ever works for you will be fine. Take advice from the dietitians who may be attached to the clinic you are currently attending . If there aren't any,then seek advice from your lead physician.
Best o luck.
Pv

The_Duke

LE
My thought is that this thread exists to allow potential recruits to ask questions related to their medical selection. Please start a new one in the general health section.

Just wanted some advise as I have recently been rejected to join the army. My medical records state I had a long history of depression from 2015-2017. I don’t agree it was a long history of depression. I went to the doctors in 2015 as I was homeless and was seeking advise, due to my low mood at the time my doctor gave me a one off prescription of anti depressants.. shoot forward to 2016 I went to the doctors feeling low due to a relationship breakdown and was just given medication again and sent on my way. Just an FYI I never took the medication I just gathered my doctor was just fobbing me off with it each time. In 2017 I went to the doctors as I wanted some advise as I was messed around with my job paying me (I didn’t get paid) and I had rent etc that was due. The doctors put that down as anxiety. Apart from the 2016 account I would say 2015 or 2017 was not depression or anxiety but I called my doctors surgery and explained this and they wouldn’t write me a letter saying they were individual cases. I am going to try and get a letter from another doctor stating it wasn’t a long history of depression and just misunderstood visits to the doctor seeking advise.

Anyone think I am doing the right thing or think I should be doing anything else? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

amnesia

Old-Salt
Just wanted some advise as I have recently been rejected to join the army. My medical records state I had a long history of depression from 2015-2017. I don’t agree it was a long history of depression. I went to the doctors in 2015 as I was homeless and was seeking advise, due to my low mood at the time my doctor gave me a one off prescription of anti depressants.. shoot forward to 2016 I went to the doctors feeling low due to a relationship breakdown and was just given medication again and sent on my way. Just an FYI I never took the medication I just gathered my doctor was just fobbing me off with it each time. In 2017 I went to the doctors as I wanted some advise as I was messed around with my job paying me (I didn’t get paid) and I had rent etc that was due. The doctors put that down as anxiety. Apart from the 2016 account I would say 2015 or 2017 was not depression or anxiety but I called my doctors surgery and explained this and they wouldn’t write me a letter saying they were individual cases. I am going to try and get a letter from another doctor stating it wasn’t a long history of depression and just misunderstood visits to the doctor seeking advise.

Anyone think I am doing the right thing or think I should be doing anything else? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
JSP 950 clearly states "two or more episodes" is a bar to entry.

You are clearly suseceptable to mental health issues, and the rules are purposely set up to protect candidates who are vulnerable from being flung into a situation that could provoke more issues.

Whether you took the medication or not is irrelevant.

If your GP wont support your appeal I think you might struggle to overturn the decision.

marj96

Crow
Hey everyone,

Was made Tmu at triage with more info requested. After around 4 months of consistently phoning my GP surgery I received a call saying that they don’t have my medical record and haven’t been able to obtain it from my old surgery. This means that they will be filling in the form stating that they cannot provide the info required by Capita.

Not too sure really as to where this leaves me in regard to my application now as I presume I won’t be able to move onto the next part of the process before this information is handed over.

Anybody have an idea of what happens next or am I dead in the water so to speak?

Thanks in advance!

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hey everyone,

Was made Tmu at triage with more info requested. After around 4 months of consistently phoning my GP surgery I received a call saying that they don’t have my medical record and haven’t been able to obtain it from my old surgery. This means that they will be filling in the form stating that they cannot provide the info required by Capita.

Not too sure really as to where this leaves me in regard to my application now as I presume I won’t be able to move onto the next part of the process before this information is handed over.

Anybody have an idea of what happens next or am I dead in the water so to speak?

Thanks in advance!
Without any medical records your application cant / wont progress.

The ball is now in your court to locate wherever your medical records are.

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hello guys and girls, im 25 and female.
(depression, self harm x2 on medical records)
I have been through this medical question many times and I don't think there's nothing I haven't read on the subject. And someone might have been in this position or are but I have not seen.

So ill start from begining.. In June 2016 I started phase 1, regrettably I came out at 11 weeks for my partner at the time who made it difficult for me to be there. So I left in the September, then relationship ended in the November.
In the December it I struggled with the fact I had given up my career I had worked and trainned hard for years for. And obviously the end of my relationship. I went to the Dr to get some help because i felt really sad and just wanted to get back to normal ASAP.
I was diagnosed with depression/ Anxiety
I was prescribed medication end of Nov- March 2017. Also was referred for counciling but I rejected that because I knew I didn't need it. But although I went back to the Dr to state I'm feeling OK again, she told me to stay on the medication for another 6 months, although I stopped completely taking them in the early March which is all stated in medical records.

In the time of my low period I stupidly burnt my self with a cigarette(1 acount of self harm-evidence seen by Dr) , and also whilst talking to Dr I over exaderated things (which I'm paying for now) saying I'd felt like it for a while and when I said that I had self harmed as a teen (account 2-no medical evidence of this, only what I said at a down stage) (with GPS sometimes you just need to exaderate things to get help)

For the last 2.5 years I have done all 3 appeals with Drs letters, altho the army recruitment do not have anything about my last apeal (probably lost, can't tell if this is good or bad thing just yet haha).
I have been rejected all three times/4 including application medical fail, because of the 2 accounts of self harm.

Last week I have completely started my application again, I have spoke to a few of my army girls and guy friends who I was in phase 1 with, and also 2 people from recruitment and everyone is saying about the 4 year mark--sympotom and treatment free.
I know Im not at the 4 year mark and although I am fit in every way to join now I'm happy to wait and train even harder so when it is my time I will stand out and smash it.
I have my medical phone call tomorrow morning, which I will tell them everything and just be truthful obviously, I have nothing to hide.

What I'm really wanting to know is, becayse I have only ever been to the Dr once in my life about something like this and never needed medical attention before, and although it says I have self harmed 1 time which the Dr saw and in my record says that I said I had self harmed before, but there is not evidence to back up that this is true, the same as there's no evidence to back the fact that it is true.
I don't know were stand? Anyone have any opinions on this?
And also I've seen people on here pass the phone call but then fail the medical, even tho they have said about things from there past but then get stopped due to it, I dont understand what the phone call is for?

Aswell as knowing I should have never bloody left, something I do know is I didn't need to go see a Dr I just needed to stop feeling sorry for my self, get myself back down the gym and get my application back in, but I didn't, but hopefully 4 years is the max I have to wait because the way I see is 12-16 more months off training and getting to an incredible fitness standard and if I can get in before that would be the best news.

I'll post updates on my situation over the next year or to for people also in this or similar situation.

Thank you in advance
JSP 950 clearly states that candidates with two or more episodes of self harm are normally graded unfit.

There is no 4 year waiting period.

There is a two year deferal period for candidates with one episode of self harm.

As Ive said many times on here, just because you dont like a decision, it doesn't mean that its the wrong decision.