All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Hello,

I just got a copy of my medical records. After scanning through the documents and correlating them with the JSP950, I am worried about one section.

5. Candidates with a recorded history of asthma, with the following features, would be normally graded P8.
a. Those who have experienced symptoms or taken, or been prescribed any form of treatment within the last 4 yrs. b. Those who have required more than one course of oral steroids 83 .
c. Those who have required more than one nebulisation since the age of 5.
d. Those who have had a single admission to Intensive care or high dependency, or multiple admissions to hospital.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was younger and therefore received inhalers. I haven't received any form of treatment/symptoms in the last four years (6 to be exact). However, I did receive- as a repeating prescription- steroid inhalers/ regular inhalers (three long courses). Therefore, I'm not sure if this would completely destroy my chances of joining. Has anyone with experience/knowledge got any advice/opinions?

Thanks

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hello,

I just got a copy of my medical records. After scanning through the documents and correlating them with the JSP950, I am worried about one section.

5. Candidates with a recorded history of asthma, with the following features, would be normally graded P8.
a. Those who have experienced symptoms or taken, or been prescribed any form of treatment within the last 4 yrs. b. Those who have required more than one course of oral steroids 83 .
d. Those who have had a single admission to Intensive care or high dependency, or multiple admissions to hospital.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was younger and therefore received inhalers. I haven't received any form of treatment/symptoms in the last four years (6 to be exact). However, I did receive- as a repeating prescription- steroid inhalers/ regular inhalers (three long courses). Therefore, I'm not sure if this would completely destroy my chances of joining. Has anyone with experience/knowledge got any advice/opinions?

Thanks
You did have treatment then?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hello,

Thanks
My opinion would be that oral steroids are tablets not inhalers.

The dosages and delivery methods are different.

Hi

I got deferred from the selection a year ago due to high-frequency hearing loss on my right year. The audiogram showed a loss of up to 60db (Also exceeded 123db altogether). Fast forward nearly a year later, I applied for the Royal Navy and passed the medical. I was wondering if I passed the RN medical (Hearing) then I should be able to pass the Army one too? I did get my hearing checked privately at two places (just to see if it wasn't any fluke on the Audiogram) and there seems to be no hearing loss on both ears.

Thanks

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
But you had steroid inhalers on repeat, were the prescriptions collected?
I think the issue here is the oral part of the steroids.

In terms of risks and medical history in my field, we don't class steroid inhalers as oral.
Oral steroids would be a course of tablets such as prednisone

In terms of risks and medical history in my field, we don't class steroid inhalers as oral.
inhalers are ok (provided they are outside the time frame) it's oral steroids - stuff thats swallowed rather than inhaled.

I'm sure I could make some terribly inappropriate comments about the difference between oral, inhaled and even one (or more) site members , but I won't as this is a sensible part of the site.

inhalers are ok (provided they are outside the time frame) it's oral steroids - stuff thats swallowed rather than inhaled.

I'm sure I could make some terribly inappropriate comments about the difference between oral, inhaled and even one (or more) site members , but I won't as this is a sensible part of the site.
That's great thank you!

On my medical records I still have asthma. Would it be worthwhile to get this removed before applying?

That's great thank you!

On my medical records I still have asthma. Would it be worthwhile to get this removed before applying?
You won't get it removed. Your medical history is your medical history. If you have not been for any review, or had any prescriptions for the required time period then leave it well alone. I have known people book appointments to get a Dr to say they don't have asthma anymore, this goes on the record as an asthma appointment.... When asked ' has his patient had any appointments for asthma in the past 4 years, guess what the answer is going to be IF the Dr doesn't read the full consultation? Don't waste everyone's time!

You won't get it removed. Your medical history is your medical history. If you have not been for any review, or had any prescriptions for the required time period then leave it well alone. I have known people book appointments to get a Dr to say they don't have asthma anymore, this goes on the record as an asthma appointment.... When asked ' has his patient had any appointments for asthma in the past 4 years, guess what the answer is going to be IF the Dr doesn't read the full consultation? Don't waste everyone's time!
I understand I wouldn’t be able to get it removed/wiped off my record. But my records give active illnesses and previous illnesses. Asthma is under active. Therefore, what I meant was should I try and get that downgraded to the previous illnesses section. You’re answer probably still stands.

I understand I wouldn’t be able to get it removed/wiped off my record. But my records give active illnesses and previous illnesses. Asthma is under active. Therefore, what I meant was should I try and get that downgraded to the previous illnesses section. You’re answer probably still stands.
I would just leave it as it is, it'll be easier. You'll also not be using up a consultation slot for something that at best is going to do nothing positive and could cause you some delays.

Personnel suffering from recurrent headaches should be graded according the frequency of the headaches, requirement for medication, degree of functional impairment and the requirement to avoid trigger factors.

Headaches are common and those who have infrequent mild headaches may be accepted as P2. Candidates with headaches with any of the following features in the last 2 years should be graded P8:
a. Are severe enough to disrupt normal activities, including loss of time from school or work.

b. Require treatment by pharmacy (GSL) or prescription only medicine.

c. Are aggravated by lack of sleep, missed meals or anxiety and occur more often than once every six months.

d. Require prophylactic treatment.
so does this mean, as i was not treated by a GP or with prescription drugs that i am okay?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
so does this mean, as i was not treated by a GP or with prescription drugs that i am okay?
You stated that you attended your GP for the headaches.

It will depend on what they have diagnosed as the cause of your headache and what self medication you were taking

Hi

I got deferred from the selection a year ago due to high-frequency hearing loss on my right year. The audiogram showed a loss of up to 60db (Also exceeded 123db altogether). Fast forward nearly a year later, I applied for the Royal Navy and passed the medical. I was wondering if I passed the RN medical (Hearing) then I should be able to pass the Army one too? I did get my hearing checked privately at two places (just to see if it wasn't any fluke on the Audiogram) and there seems to be no hearing loss on both ears.

Thanks
Try again!

You stated that you attended your GP for the headaches.

It will depend on what they have diagnosed as the cause of your headache and what self medication you were taking
It was diagnosed as just being due to my prescription for glasses changing, once I had my new glasses I was fine.
Ibruprofen was what I was taking which is obviously not prescription

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It was diagnosed as just being due to my prescription for glasses changing, once I had my new glasses I was fine.
Ibruprofen was what I was taking which is obviously not prescription
Ibuprofen can be prescribed as necessary.

If that is the recorded cause then should be fine

Hi all,

Searched for my circumstance but wondered if anyone had any advice, please.

I have applied for a reservist role and was initially rejected due to several periods of depression. I appealed and my doctor gave me a letter to say that it was in fact one instance of depression, not several, with the cause being the sudden death of my father. This then puts me in line with the most recent guidance on depression as I have been symptom free for almost 2 and a half years.

However, the fly in the ointment was the duration of my illness; it was approx. 3 years. Now being depressed for 3 years sounds horrific but in that time I was exercising, counselling and fixing the route cause of my depression (mostly grieving and sorting my dads estate).

This is my dream and I’m just concerned that I’m missing something in the rules that say I was depressed for too long. I’m extremely mentally resilient now and am posting my appeal tomorrow with my doctors letter but fear that of this is rejected, then I have nothing more to do.

I accept that if I cannot join, then that is the will of the Gods, but I can’t walk away without knowing that I gave it my all.

Hope this post helps other in the same position as me.

All the best,

R_L

Latest Threads