All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

If you have suffered from chronic back pain in the past then that is a fact, and no amount of appeals will change that fact.

Just because you claim to be fine now doesnt alter the fact that you have suffered back pain in the past and thus wont win your appeal.
It was lumbar lodosis xray showed i was fine it was due to poor posture and lazy lifestyle. Which was over 3 years ago and haven't taken any meds since, o ps thanks for your support (NOT) are you a doctor? how do you know i'll never win my appeal? im not giving up, now again is there anyone out there who got some serious knowledge on how to gather evidence to support my appeal.

Morning all,

Quick one just for anyone who is looking about Blood pressure stuff.

I recently got a 3 month medical deferral for suspected high blood pressure with 3 readings at the medical in the range of 150/90 --- 145/95
I have never had any issues with this in the past so as you can imagine it came as a bit of a shock.

Despite this I had to organise a 24hr BP test my with local GP, this became very tedious, as there are limited spaces for 24hr tests were I live, and I was not a priority.
My doctor actually rang capita and insisted i have another medical before doing this test, they refused.

I eventually after 2 months on the waiting list managed to book the test. Received the results, average BP over 24 hours was 121/73 with a resting heart beat of 58.

Long drawn out process for a little bit of white collar syndrome. And its good to know there is nothing wrong with my blood pressure, and also found out you have to pay a doctor
£50 for a signed letter. The joys.

Back on track now, but still waiting for the Army to update me.

It was lumbar lodosis xray showed i was fine it was due to poor posture and lazy lifestyle. Which was over 3 years ago and haven't taken any meds since, o ps thanks for your support (NOT) are you a doctor? how do you know i'll never win my appeal? im not giving up, now again is there anyone out there who got some serious knowledge on how to gather evidence to support my appeal.
Michael

a) You have already lost one appeal - the chances of you winning the next level of appeal are in the single percentages. You will need to come up with some pretty impressive medical evidence to get the two previous decisions overturned - i.e. - it was a misdiagnosis and you never actually suffered from lumbar lombrosis. Just because you don't like the decision doesn't mean that it will change.

b) No, I'm not a doctor, but I do work in Army recruiting and have done for several years, which does mean I speak from a position of experience, and have worked with a number of candidates who have been turned down because of prior back problems (and subsequently lost appeals)

c) I'm not your Dad, it isn't my job to give you support. You came onto a public forum asking for viewpoints from people with knowledge and experience of submitting medical appeals to the Army. That is what I have, and that is what I've given you.

Just because you don't like what I am telling you doesn't mean it isn't correct.

I wish you every success with your second appeal.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not a doctor but a surgeon.

Has anything substantial changed since your initial application, your last appeal and now?

What medical evidence do you have to support any such changes? IE evidence of a misdiagnosis, letters from a consultant of a recent examination stating you never had the condition that you were suffering from before.

Lordosis is the natural curvature of the spine, was yours hyper or hypo lordosis? Who diagnosed it as due to poor posture and lifestyle?

Have you read what JSP950 states about back problems, either currently suffered or in the past? Do you come under the categories that preclude your entry into service? If so, then you are not going to pass your appeal.

That's about as supportive as I get.

Does anyone know if mild Tinea Versicolor would stop me from joining? It’s easily treated with anti dandruff shampoo every couple weeks, thanks.

Last edited:
Just bumping this up - any experiences, anyone? Thanks.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if a prescription to Finasteride - a hair loss inhibitor, sometimes marketed under the brand name of Propecia - is likely to trigger an automatic fail at the online medical questionnaire stage?

I will be putting it down regardless so the OMQ is accurate, just wondering if the seemingly over-zealous OMQ is likely to automatically reject or defer me at this very early stage.

Also, if it is an issue, then would anybody know if I can just elect to discontinue the prescrption? Given the choice I would rather continue with the application than continue with the prescription.

Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention I have already searched the JSP950 (no mention of this or anything related as far as I can see) as well as the archives on here (a post from 2010 which just advised the original poster to be sure they included it which I am going to do).

Has anyone got any experience regarding applying after a history of being on anti depressants and whether it’ll prevent me joining? Came off them Jan this year and had no problems at all.
Its not so much the anti-depressants its more the route cause that is the issue.

Can I suggest you read JSP950 - the newer version, and also use the search function? The topic has been covered at length.

Best case scenario is you will be deferred until Jan '20, worst case is you will rejected.

Hi guys please read this as I really want to have a career in the army but now I think I’ve messed up. Back in 2013 when I was 13 I had two episodes of s harm because my mother took me and my sister away from my dad but was because he was deemed abusive by courts. Blah blah blah. Then me my mother and sisters relationship because toxic god damn we hated each other screaming shouting etc. So my aunt uncle and their son took me in to live with them and been better ever since. I applied for the army but was rejected because two or more episodes is bar to entry. I appealed still no luck so I have gone on a uniformed protective service diploma which is a VERY HANDS ON course learning all three military and blue light service with a army cadet element from handling guns to fieldwork, etc. My question therefore is I’m 19 now, 6 years from my episodes what chances do I have of getting in now. Please be truthful as this is my future.
Re

Fairly simple question but need answer!!!

So I hurt my MCL (Just a sprain) last year in August and was on crutches for a couple weeks but didn't require any surgery or anything like that. Just a check up visit some weeks after first going into the hospital to ask about it and I was told that maybe I should consult with the big health centre to see if I need surgery, didn't end up bothering consulting because my knee healed up and I was back in action in less than 1.5 months. Will any of this delay my application process at all? I didn't have any surgeries or operations, was just on a crutch for a couple weeks and had a couple visits to the hospital.

Latest Threads