All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Hey, I am asking on here as I have failed to come up with any information about something that may happen to me that prevents me from joining the Army.

I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis, and I understand that I will most probably not be able to join if I have any pain that prevents me from doing the task in hand or needing to take medication, as stated on the JSP950.

However, it may be possible for me that have the sore cartilage/s surgically removed. I was wondering if this would prevent me from joining, I know the surgery itself would cause me to wait a few years before applying. However I am not sure if they would let me join if this has happened to me.

Any information on this will help massively,
Thank you.

Hey, I am asking on here as I have failed to come up with any information about something that may happen to me that prevents me from joining the Army.

I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis, and I understand that I will most probably not be able to join if I have any pain that prevents me from doing the task in hand or needing to take medication, as stated on the JSP950.

However, it may be possible for me that have the sore cartilage/s surgically removed. I was wondering if this would prevent me from joining, I know the surgery itself would cause me to wait a few years before applying. However I am not sure if they would let me join if this has happened to me.

Thank you.
Hi Louise,

The answer is still the same as all the other times you have asked this.
Even without looking at JSP950, have a wee think about this.

If you can not currently exercise without pain or at least the risk of pain stopping you, then perhaps it is better to defer until you have grown enough so that it si no longer happening and you are sure that it is not permanent otherwise you will just not get through training. Meds or no meds.

Edited to add relevant section from JSP950. The important word here is endurance.

From JSP950, Section K Musculo-Skeletal

2. b. Function. The candidate must not have any limitation of range of movement, dexterity, strength or endurance likely to interfere with military training or Service (formal assessment advised in certain cases, eg weapon handling).
and
It's not a bother.

Sorry to say, but the Army does not go on "used to play football" but on medical evidence such as a confirmed diagnosis of a condition which may impact upon your service.

Having to stop during physical exertion, ( as you stated in your previous post) is not a good indicator.

The military envirnoment does not respond well to conditions that require frequent medication, especially those which require pre-medication before you can do physical activity. The reason for this is that, if deployed, you just do not know when you may suddenly have to be active.

You would be better waiting to see if your condition settles and in a few years, when you no longer need meds apply with the appropriate medical evidence and fitness diary to that effect
are about the best response you can hope to get on here.

Best Wishes,

Joe

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Seeing the doc this afternoon but what I want to know what is the strongest pain killer you can get for arthritis of the knee? I know it’s arthritis as I’ve had it x rayed a few times now but the last couple of weeks have been hell, can’t walk hobbling, it keeps me awake/wakes me up at night can’t sit comfortably, it’s driving me mad, mad I tell you.
Docs always seem to prescribe stuff that doesn’t touch the pain and I’m after some “good shit”;), so what can I suggest to the dear doctor?
Can’t take codeine due to bowel problems.
Come on I know there are some old gits out there with dodgy knees and arthritis what’s your poison of choice?

Thank you.
Please for the love of the deity of your choice, do not let someone chop out parts of your chest wall with the belief that it will leave you fit to join the army. It is high risk stuff and you may be found unfit just for having the surgery.

If you cant run because of pain, you are not going to be able to join up. Costochondritis does settle over time and most people manage their lives well enough. I strongly suggest you do something non physical by way of a job / study for the next 2-3 years and reassess your fitness and priorities. If you still want to join and your ribs have settled down then fill your boots. If the pain is still there it is a message for you to do something different

Hi everyone,
I'm new so I apologise if this post isn't in the right place ! I'm an expat living in France and I am considering joining the british army once I finish my degree. I have a couple of questions if someone would be so kind as to help me, I'd be much obliged !

- I've had a duff knee for about 3 years now. I had a first op on my MCL and some other ligaments but (pardon my French) it did **** all. I'm off for a second one in June, where I'll have donor ligaments to fix my MCL and also some repairs to my LCL. None of the ligaments were totally ruptured, they were just torn or overly stretched (although TBH I'm not 100% sure). I should regain 100% of knee function after this op. I was wondering if it would bar me from entering ?

- My medical records are in French so would I need to get them translated ? I only ask cause if they want official translations that's £30 a pop, and I'll need time to get it together.

- I'm currently on beta blockers (don't think I have an issue just an unusually fast pulse), but hopefully I'll come of them soon. Would that affect my application even if I have no cardiac problems?

Thank you all and sorry for my blabbering

Greetings HFH
With apologies for crushing your dreams, if you have had ligament surgery on a knee, especially if you are having to have a second procedure then you will almost certainly be ruled unfit to join. Any knee ligament surgery is now considered a bar to entry.

Overall it sounds like you have had a significant knee injury which in itself will put you at high risk of having arthritis in the future and a military career can only make that worse.

On the bright side you can save money on medical record translations.

Hi DocSavage

Thanks for the quick reply. What a bummer... It said on the JSP that
" Candidates with a history of partial of complete rupture of any other knee ligaments are to be referred to the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruit" so I wasn't sure...

Thanks anyway

To anyone wondering if they should even apply, I say: do it anyway.

It’s free to start the application on the website, it will take an hour or two at most to fill in all the details. Less time than some spend posting on here under various names unless there has been a sudden outbreak of costochondritis in the general population. The MoD will pay your GP for a copy of your records, so that’s free too. Then you will have your answer in writing from the horses mouth and can plan the rest of your life accordingly.

Hi DocSavage

Thanks for the quick reply. What a bummer... It said on the JSP that
" Candidates with a history of partial of complete rupture of any other knee ligaments are to be referred to the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruit" so I wasn't sure...

Thanks anyway
Generally speaking you don't get reconstructive surgery for partial tears and if the first op has failed it usually means that the damage is more significant.
As Bob 65 above says , you can always apply and see but with that history if it was sent to me to ask the question I would just say no I am afraid (for the record I am one of the surgeons involved in recruit assessments)

Hi.

My medical has been deferred, as the Army has requested to see my Primary Healthcare Records. I’m 99% sure this is due to me being treated through CBT therapy for minor anxiety in 2017. Will this be rejected?

Generally speaking you don't get reconstructive surgery for partial tears and if the first op has failed it usually means that the damage is more significant.
As Bob 65 above says , you can always apply and see but with that history if it was sent to me to ask the question I would just say no I am afraid (for the record I am one of the surgeons involved in recruit assessments)
I had stability issues with the knee, and I am pretty confident that the ligaments were "only" distended. I will have a think about applying, as it will need me to move back to the UK for a while, all with the doubt of my knee barring me from actually entering.
Anyway thanks for the food for thought

Seeing the doc this afternoon but what I want to know what is the strongest pain killer you can get for arthritis of the knee? I know it’s arthritis as I’ve had it x rayed a few times now but the last couple of weeks have been hell, can’t walk hobbling, it keeps me awake/wakes me up at night can’t sit comfortably, it’s driving me mad, mad I tell you.
Docs always seem to prescribe stuff that doesn’t touch the pain and I’m after some “good shit”;), so what can I suggest to the dear doctor?
Can’t take codeine due to bowel problems.
Come on I know there are some old gits out there with dodgy knees and arthritis what’s your poison of choice?
Not on the recruiting forum there aren't. Head to old and bold .

Can i have some help with an appeal please.
I have been turned down on basis of ADHD with behaviour of hitting people. Yes i do have mild ADHD but I have never hit anyone and so i dont understand how i can be turned down for this, what do i need to do to appeal. I havent had any symptoms in years either. My mum is trying to get me an appointment with the dr to try and get a letter but has anyone appealed on this and what should i get dr to say? Thank you for your help, im absolutely gutted at the moment.

I have been turned down on basis of ADHD with behaviour of hitting people. Yes i do have mild ADHD but I have never hit anyone and so i dont understand how i can be turned down for this, what do i need to do to appeal. I havent had any symptoms in years either. My mum is trying to get me an appointment with the dr to try and get a letter but has anyone appealed on this and what should i get dr to say? Thank you for your help, im absolutely gutted at the moment.
Read this post (and others by the same poster).

Read this post (and others by the same poster).
Thanks, ive got to wait till wednesday to speak to dr to get them to write a letter, but ive used that template to draft my letter. Has anyone had much success with ADHD appeals? i have never been violent so i dont know why its come up, could it just be capita misreading something? I havent been to drs with it since secondary school so 6 years and ive never been on medication for it.

The thing you must remember, harsh although it may sound, is that no one cares what you say or even what the truth is. They only care what is written in your medical records. So you will need a letter from your doctor stating that there was a mistake in your records and that he has now corrected it. Good luck.

My dr has agreed to write a letter as he doesnt understand where the violent behaviours has come from as he cant see that on my records. He has asked me to write down the things he should include in the letter, so ive copied the parts of JSP950 for him to reference them specific to my case. Has anyone done an appeal on ADHD thats been successful that could give me any other pointers? Many thanks

Latest Threads