All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Finp97

Crow
Hi all I posted a few pages back about a hernia, I was passed at assesment and got offered my first job choice. The nurse said I won’t get a date untill they get some past medical history from when I was a baby which is fine. But they also said they need to set up an ecg I think it is (heart monitor) every year on my name but that will be set up for me by the army so if I’m on operation I still have it done, but I just got home with the letters they’ve given me about it all and the ecg one says I haven’t passed? But I’ve got another letter asking for my past medical history saying I have passed... very confused as I have got the certificate, my grade from the interviewer and my first job role. Can anyone help me understand please? They said it will be 2-3weeks untill it’s all set up and they give me a date for basic. Thankyou in advance
(Edit) it’s called an E2 marker

Last edited:

Ken M

Swinger
Hi all I posted a few pages back about a hernia, I was passed at assesment and got offered my first job choice. The nurse said I won’t get a date untill they get some past medical history from when I was a baby which is fine. But they also said they need to set up an ecg I think it is (heart monitor) every year on my name but that will be set up for me by the army so if I’m on operation I still have it done, but I just got home with the letters they’ve given me about it all and the ecg one says I haven’t passed? But I’ve got another letter asking for my past medical history saying I have passed... very confused as I have got the certificate, my grade from the interviewer and my first job role. Can anyone help me understand please? They said it will be 2-3weeks untill it’s all set up and they give me a date for basic. Thankyou in advance
(Edit) it’s called an E2 marker
A marker against your medical grading means that a suspected condition has to be kept under review periodically at whichever unit you are posted to. In your case it looks like annually - for the time being. The marker may be permanent or temporary. I suspect yours is temporary and is the result of a minor abnormality observed on the ECG. These things can happen at ECG, I wouldn't worry about it. You have not been rejected or deferred, and have received the appropriate pass paperwork. Relax.

Hi, I’m 16 and have recently been refused on the grounds that in December 2017 I had 18 months of back pain. I’m currently going through the appeal process and they’ve just got my letter today, I later found out the back pain was from minimal scoliosis and I’ve since corrected the problem. My doc has wrote a letter to the army explaining that my scoliosis is only ‘minimal’ and I’m on no meds and haven’t been back for 1 year and 3 months. I’m just wondering if anyone could give me an idea what to expect they’ll say to me. Thanks mitchell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackde

Crow
Hello, I recently applied to join the British Army, after going through my interview, chasing up my application every few days, I have been permantly deferred and need to appeal because of I have a 'history of dermatitis in the hands'. Some years ago the skin started peeling on my hands and this is the only time it has happened, I don't why. I went to pharmacies and walk in centres, no one what I was and in the end, I went to my doctor and even he didn't know what it was but put me on a dermititis cream to try and get rid of it, eventually it worked and never came back, I just want to know what should I put in my appeal, do you think it will work, anyone had any similar cases?
Hi, what was your outcome of your appeal? I’ve just had a rejection letter for having the same thing 8 years ago, I’ve appealed once but that also got rejected. So I’m wondering what my chances are? Thanks

Candidates with a recurrent (3 or more episodes) or recent history of AKP, persistent symptoms or signs are normally graded P8L8. this was the reason I was given for rejection yet the three injuries where at least five years apart all football injuries from impact not persistent strain and one injury was on my left and two on my right knee which where ten years apart as I was 10 when I had the first injury and the second occured last summer. None of the injuries needed further treatment beyond the date they where reported I was just caucious over my physical health as I was always interested in a professional sports career and didn't want to have any serious injury lead to a long term injury.

should I appeal this and if so what information should I supply in my appeal as the reasons they've given for rejection are true but I have never had a problem with my knees other than those three times and one of the injuries was pre puberty which seems stupud they look at injuries to lower limbs that arent conditions at that age due the fact youre body isnt the same body when your 20 to when you where 10.

Any feedback on my issue would be much appreciated.

Dkh96

Crow
They have you lie down on the medical table and they'll manipulate them manually, I think they just check for range of motion. They might visually check for hypertension as well at some point but I didn't notice. They checked my elbows for it at one point.

They'll bend your leg, straighten it, give it a tug, rotate it left and right, etc. At the end you'll do the old walk on your heels, walk on your toes, walk like a duck routine. That's all I can think of relating to your legs or knees, other than touching your toes without bending your knees (I always end up getting at least 6 inches lower during a medical exam than I can normally for some reason, so I wouldn't worry about this either if you struggle, but stretching is good practice)
Thanks mate

I gave my forms in to GP two weeks ago on same day as my briefing. I have been chasing since every couple of days theyve said they wont release details until the army pays the fee. They have sent the invoice to the army last Thursday. Does anyone know how quickly the army usually pay for GP records? I checked with my GP today and still not paid according to them. Many thanks

amnesia

Old-Salt
I gave my forms in to GP two weeks ago on same day as my briefing. I have been chasing since every couple of days theyve said they wont release details until the army pays the fee. They have sent the invoice to the army last Thursday. Does anyone know how quickly the army usually pay for GP records? I checked with my GP today and still not paid according to them. Many thanks
It takes about four weeks.

Hibbsy

Swinger
Hi all, I’ve had my first medical appeal level 1a rejected due to eczema on the hand. I’m going to appeal again, level 1b, does anyone know if this second appeal goes to the same people (Capita I assume) I’m sure I read it goes to an actual Army doctor but can’t find where I read it. Cheers.

Pectoralis Major Tendon Rupture

Hi, bit of a long shot but, I have my AC in two months, having passed all the online questionnaires and RGMD form (further evidence was required from GP). I'm worried however about my ruptured pec tendon (7 years ago) being a P8 fail in the upper body section of the PULHEEMS assessment. I've scoured the JSP950-Section 4-Annex K and there is nothing in it detailing the condition or similar.

In Annex K 2.b it does detail that "The candidate must not have any limitation of range of movement, dexterity, strength or endurance likely to interfere with military training or Service", however, not having served it is difficult to assess if it's going to be an issue. I can't bench press 130kg like I did before my injury, but a 40kg power bag lift is not a problem.

Other than this issue I have pretty good base level of cardio fitness and hope to get my mile and a half down to 9:00-9:20 (currently 9:45), but I know I need to work on upper body strength as 44 push-ups in 2 mins is a push at the moment... but I can get there.

Also don't know if this has a bearing (prob not), but I'm hoping to join a RE Res. Reg., rather than say a regular Para. Reg. I fully understand you are always a soldier first, but can't imagine the physicality is as tough?

Any advise appreciated!
Thanks

DocSavage

Clanker
Hi, I’m 16 and have recently been refused on the grounds that in December 2017 I had 18 months of back pain. I’m currently going through the appeal process and they’ve just got my letter today, I later found out the back pain was from minimal scoliosis and I’ve since corrected the problem. My doc has wrote a letter to the army explaining that my scoliosis is only ‘minimal’ and I’m on no meds and haven’t been back for 1 year and 3 months. I’m just wondering if anyone could give me an idea what to expect they’ll say to me. Thanks mitchell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Scoliosis is a structural problem involving the vertebral alignment and can only be corrected by surgery so not sure what you mean by you have corrected the problem. However if you have had pain or other symptoms related to scoliosis it is very unlikely that they will let you in

Pectoralis Major Tendon Rupture

Thanks for the advice Pittie,

I'm still not sure this isn't going to be an issues, especially when you see some of the issues that guys are getting knockbacks for on this forum.

I'll give the AC a shot, unless I get feedback from any ex/current army AC doctors that says I'll be wasting my time. It's a shame you can't speak to anyone on the med team to potentially save yourself a trip to Pirbright in these instances.

Currently transferring from the reserves to full-time Parachute Regiment

I was only a tested by the reserves 2 months ago but I thought instead of going in part time that I would go in full-time

So the army requested my primary health care records, the back in January I went to the doctor's thinking that I had pain in my kidney when it was all ok I done a urine test and I didn't have any problems at all, received a message today that my application has been deferred until January 2020 because of back pain

Now I actually didn't go to the doctors for back pain I went there because I thought my kindneys were playing coming from my kidney area which went away when I realised it was my abdominal muscles and went away after a day - I never had any treatment for back pain it's not something I would ever go to the doctors about anyway, but I went to the doctor's as a precaution just in case something was wrong with my kidney but it turns out I just felt really run down

Is there any advice you can give me I know I can't go against the army medical rules but this means I'm going to have to do my application again as it's just over the 9 month mark and I have had my application ongoing for 18 months now due to me having a spec med done for my shoulder and being tested for asthma which I have been medically green for

Is there anything I can say to the doctor's to make them change their tune or could I perhaps say that the doctor has made a mistake and I never actually had back pain because I participated in an MMA fight 2 weeks after going to the doctor's which I would have had an all clear for

Cheers

Have you spoken to your GP/docs about what exactly they wrote in your medical form and why you're being flagged for back pain all of a sudden? I know a lot of people claim misdiagnosis but it genuinely happened to me (I got referred to my GP because of low iron levels flagged by a routine blood donation, she started the small talk while pricking my finger and I mentioned I was made redundant that week. Apparently this conversation ended up in my medical file and the GP at my selection started asking me about depression (I think I described the situation as "not brilliant", which I think is a perfectly apt response to finding out you're being made redundant after Christmas, which the doctor wrote as me "feeling low") which took me completely by surprise. It wasn't an issue as I explained the situation but it's made me very cautious about what I say around doctor types now just incase.

I'd look into sending of an appeal but a year's deferral isn't really the end of the world, although you'll still be looking at all the administrative wait times if you start your application again in Jan which will turn it into more like 18 months, plus who knows if they'll lose the evidence of your asthma/shoulder medical exams which you could end up having to do again.

That is what I'm worried about I have had to wait for 18 months as it is with everything and I really don't want to have to go through it all over again I probably wouldn't do it if I had to wait that long again, thing is I genuinely didn't have back pain, I was pointing at an area where I thought the kidneys were and they were in a totally different area turns out I just had an abdominal strain from doing BJJ/Wrestling and my back was absolutely fine I wasn't even prescribed painkillers as far as I remember

Now another thing is they may have caught my words wrong because I didn't really know where the pain was coming from either but it definitely wasn't my spine or my back muscles, if I went to the doctor's and presented them with the impact of this do you think they would perhaps go back on their word and say that they got it wrong and it was an abdominal strain? This is basically going to destroy my application in a sense

I need to box clever and think about what I'm going to say because I can't even remember what I said to the doctors at the time to be honest, but I know my back was fine I wouldn't even go to the doctor's if I had back pain

Unlike having asthma or a broken leg this is quite a grey area

And I haven't spoke to them yet I'm going in there Thursday
Give an appeal a go, although I'd seriously look at reapplying next Jan if they uphold the deferral. It's a lot of waiting but for the vast majority of it you aren't actually doing anything, only for the briefing and selection and possibly those extra tests if they have you do them again which I doubt. If it's within 2 years of your last selection date you also wouldn't even need to do the full ADSC event, just the medical and fitness exams. Your ACT/TST/English/Maths, etc. will all be carried over unless you want to try and improve your score.

That is the thing dude I done my full event back in September 2017 and I done my 1 day refresher course September 2018 so it's sort of do or die at the moment

In regards to what I said about having back pain what else could I save it could have been mistaken as back pain because I left the doctor's and gave them a urine sample but I didn't have any treatment for back pain nor did I even go there with the complaint of back pain, are doctors really that hard to admit that they may have got something slightly wrong?

What if I just said that I never said I had back pain to the doctor (which I didnt) how could they prove that I said that

Another thing I didn't mention is that I am currently a tested and serving as an army reservist in 104 regiment artillery doesn't already being in help my case?

Hi I've had anxiety and panic attacks I tryd joining the army in 2018. Got rejected on my medical and got graded s8 is that a permanent disqualification of joining. As I've join again in 2019 am still on medication on low dose but off them in June 2019 just looking for answers. As if I can/or cant join as I've got my briefing soon.