All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

amnesia

Old-Salt
Just curious as to how long it takes to receive a response for a 1B (2nd) medical appeal. I sent mine off early December and had to badger them to see if they’d received it- got told they had and it was ‘being processed’ on the 5th January. C
Cheers.
It can take up to 8 weeks I believe.

Unless you submitted significant new medical evidence I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Phemy

Swinger
You shouldnt do anything with the RGMD except give it to your GP.

He/she will have access to all your medical records since you were born, and will certainly have information relating to your vaccinations.

If this is unclear, let me spell it out for you:
GIVE THE RGMD TO YOUR GP WITHOUT DELAY!

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for the information. I had operation for obstruction in the intestines last august and am good now. Please, can this stop me from army recruitment

Hi everyone,

I just received my RGMD form today and i need clarification on some issues in it.
Under the vaccines, must the date be filled for all the vaccines because most of the vaccines were taken when i was little and am now with a different GP.
What should i do please?

Thanks
I’m going to apply some common sense here; speak to your GP. They’ll have all of your medical records or will be be able to get them.

amnesia

Old-Salt
Thanks very much for the information. I had operation for obstruction in the intestines last august and am good now. Please, can this stop me from army recruitment
In the broadest terms JSP950 says you shouldnt have had surgery in the last 12 months, but the final decision will rest on a variety of things.

You will get the answer when your medical records are checked.

Have you taken the forms to your GP yet?

Phemy

Swinger
In the broadest terms JSP950 says you shouldnt have had surgery in the last 12 months, but the final decision will rest on a variety of things.

You will get the answer when your medical records are checked.

Have you taken the forms to your GP yet?
Yes

Brandon101

Swinger
Hey all, for my assessment here on the 29th and have a medical question.

Around 1-2 year i cut my thumb on glass and it tore my tendon and nerve. I had surgery to have this fixed almost immediately and from then its been perfectly fine although i never attended physio sessions as recommended at the time, additionally in regards to movement of the thumb it is fine bar i am unable to bend the very tip of my thumb the full way (90 degree angle) i can move it maybe 80 percent of the way. This has never limited the function or stopped me doing anything in fact the only reason i still notice its there is the scar left behind from surgery. So i have 2 questions.

1. Would me choosing to not attend physio be a bad thing while getting checked by the doc?

2. While the slight limitation doesn't restrict me in anyway will this possibly lead to a defferal ?

P.S Managed to get some really sound advice and pointers thus far so many thanks! Hoping everything runs smoothly come the day.

ldrese

Swinger
Hi just wanted to see if anyone could give clarification on this.

"Single seizures. Candidates with a single seizure less than 5 years prior to entry are
graded P8. Candidates who have had a single seizure more than 5 years before entry, and
who have not been on treatment during this interval, can be graded P2"

Does this mean even if you have had more than one seizure after the age of 5, you can join after the set amount of years after?

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi just wanted to see if anyone could give clarification on this.

"Single seizures. Candidates with a single seizure less than 5 years prior to entry are
graded P8. Candidates who have had a single seizure more than 5 years before entry, and
who have not been on treatment during this interval, can be graded P2"

Does this mean even if you have had more than one seizure after the age of 5, you can join after the set amount of years after?
The 5 years is not aged 5 years old but the time difference before application.

That sentence above applies to single seizures. It has no relevance to multiple seizures.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He/she will have access to all your medical records since you were born, and will certainly have information relating to your vaccinations.
Well that will be news to my GP, there are great chunks of my medical history not on my medical records due to various moves as a child and none transference of records/lost in transit.

And as for my adult records, they are equally shambolic. There was no transference when I left the Army, so everything there is lost. (Including all vaccinations and all the information about my knee surgery which would be very useful to the orthopedic surgeon re-examining it!

And who knows where my records from university ever went to!

Hi, just wondering if anyone here has access to the new version of JSP 950. I have heard they have relaxed the medical requirements slightly to up the recruitment. I ruptured my ACL training while waiting on my selection date. I get surgery in March and it's a year recovery from there. I don't have high expectations as I know it was previously a bar to entry but just wondering if any changes regarding this specific injury have been made or whether it's possible to get some sort of waiver now they have decided to relax the requirements a bit. Thanks. :salut:

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hi, just wondering if anyone here has access to the new version of JSP 950. I have heard they have relaxed the medical requirements slightly to up the recruitment. I ruptured my ACL training while waiting on my selection date. I get surgery in March and it's a year recovery from there. I don't have high expectations as I know it was previously a bar to entry but just wondering if any changes regarding this specific injury have been made or whether it's possible to get some sort of waiver now they have decided to relax the requirements a bit. Thanks. :salut:
The changes to JSP950 are not significant and are mainly based around mental health.

The chances of getting a waiver for any medical issue are pretty much non-existent.

But for the avoidance of doubt, this was taken from the latest version of JSP950:

Knee ligaments.
a. Candidates with any history of complete Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament
rupture whether managed conservatively or surgically are graded P8L8.

The changes to JSP950 are not significant and are mainly based around mental health.

The chances of getting a waiver for any medical issue are pretty much non-existent.

But for the avoidance of doubt, this was taken from the latest version of JSP950:

Knee ligaments.
a. Candidates with any history of complete Anterior or Posterior Cruciate Ligament
rupture whether managed conservatively or surgically are graded P8L8.
Thanks. Appreciate the straight forward answer.

Thecure

Swinger
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or examples of candidates providing evidence to rule out a depression diagnosis in their record? I have looked around the forums and can't seem to find an answer.

I was diagnosed with depression by a psychiatrist 18 months ago following a bereavement, but only saw him once and never received any treatment or medication. Upon showing my GP my medical rejection letter she said she did not agree with the past diagnosis and would write in my appeal that in her opinion I was not depressed, just reacting normally to a family death.

Would this be sufficient for the depression diagnosis to be ignored by the Medical team? Or would the diagnosis be considered accurate no matter what subsequent information was provided?

I am also considering going back to the same psychiatrist and asking him to write a letter retracting his earlier diagnosis. Will any of this actually help my case?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or examples of candidates providing evidence to rule out a depression diagnosis in their record? I have looked around the forums and can't seem to find an answer.

I was diagnosed with depression by a psychiatrist 18 months ago following a bereavement, but only saw him once and never received any treatment or medication. Upon showing my GP my medical rejection letter she said she did not agree with the past diagnosis and would write in my appeal that in her opinion I was not depressed, just reacting normally to a family death.

Would this be sufficient for the depression diagnosis to be ignored by the Medical team? Or would the diagnosis be considered accurate no matter what subsequent information was provided?

I am also considering going back to the same psychiatrist and asking him to write a letter retracting his earlier diagnosis. Will any of this actually help my case?
JSP 950, Lft 6-7-7 dated Sep 18

Candidates with a diagnosis of a single episode of mild or moderate depression (F32.0, 32.1) with a clear precipitating stressor may be graded FIT provided that all treatment, including medication, has been completed and the individual must be free from symptoms and off medication for 1 year.

Thecure

Swinger
JSP 950, Lft 6-7-7 dated Sep 18

Candidates with a diagnosis of a single episode of mild or moderate depression (F32.0, 32.1) with a clear precipitating stressor may be graded FIT provided that all treatment, including medication, has been completed and the individual must be free from symptoms and off medication for 1 year.
Thanks, I've seen this bit of the JSP, I didn't mention I had another episode of depression previously around 5 years ago, again with no medication, which is why was wondering if the letter from the GP would rule out the diagnosis from 18 months ago (I believe if you have had two episode you need to have been clear for 4 years? Therefore if the diagnosis from 18 months ago is ignored I am eligible?)

Thanks, I've seen this bit of the JSP, I didn't mention I had another episode of depression previously around 5 years ago, again with no medication, which is why was wondering if the letter from the GP would rule out the diagnosis from 18 months ago (I believe if you have had two episode you need to have been clear for 4 years? Therefore if the diagnosis from 18 months ago is ignored I am eligible?)
A psychiatric diagnosis by a GP can be deemed to be incorrect by a psychiatrist, but not the other way round.

Have you got anywhere with your appeal yet? I’ve just received my p8 letter ‍♂️
Sorry for late reply but my army appeal was slapped away, they're leaving the opportunity to respond open but I'm just gonna leave it.

It's bad cos my doctors really aren't bothered, they aren't doing anything to help and because it involves effort for them to actually get solid evidence to say "Sciatica exists/doesnt exist and isn't a problem", they're not gonna do any further tests, xrays, cat scan, nowt, NHS in my area aren't willing to offer anything conclusive given how private the request is.

Looking at it the only thing I could do is ask the doctor to re-diagnose and see if that current prognosis shows no signs of lower back pain or injury...Even though the patient could blag it and say there's nothing wrong ;)..that's medically watertight as a sieve though and that is sort of what I had to do in my first letter.

Alas, seeing as a past diagnosis regardless of physical performance neggers my opportunities in both the RN and Army I'm gonna go for the RFA and see how that works out, I'm really not chuffed if they're making it this hard. I also heard the TA don't mind too much about such injuries, could be worth a look in, especially if it leads to full time work.

Phemy

Swinger
Hello All,

Please i need an urgent information and more clarification about clinic letters.

What does clinic letters entails?

Latest Threads