All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

Aphra

Old-Salt
Michael Bentine was one of the crab air officers who served in MI9 during the war. Look it up if you are not familiar with the organisation.
Thanks for that info, I'd never heard of MI9. I've done as you suggested and I'm now looking for books on the subject. I suspect this particular wormhole will be well worth the time.

Thanks for that info, I'd never heard of MI9. I've done as you suggested and I'm now looking for books on the subject. I suspect this particular wormhole will be well worth the time.

He was also one of the first into Bergen-Belsen after its liberation and wrote:

Millions of words have been written about these horror camps, many of them by inmates of those unbelievable places. I've tried, without success, to describe it from my own point of view, but the words won't come. To me Belsen was the ultimate blasphemy.

Airey Neave was in MI9?
Yes - the man called Saturday.
Public Servant, Secret Agent The Enigmatic Life and Violent Death of Airey Neave - Routledge
The Man Who Was Saturday - Patrick Bishop
They Have Their Exits - Neave
Maybe some kind soul here may have them in ebook format?
And can mail them to you.
*cough cough - OooAar Jim Lad*

Airey Neave was in MI9?
Public Servant, Secret Agent The Enigmatic Life and Violent Death of Airey Neave - Routledge

Millions of words have been written about these horror camps, many of them by inmates of those unbelievable places. I've tried, without success, to describe it from my own point of view, but the words won't come. To me Belsen was the ultimate blasphemy.
As I wrote recently...
As I've written before, so many famous people's memoirs talk about their fathers, who were at various camps for the liberation, 'but they never talked about it'.
Just think about it - WE go there and see the horror. And it is just fences, and bricks, and exhibits.
THEY went there, and saw it in its full terrifying reality.

Which plays into the hands of the denialist cnuts like Higgs Bosun, who say 'Hey, how come there's no history of this from an Allied point of view?'

ipso_facto

On ROPS
On ROPs
This is a clip of the Portuguese coast guard stopping a drug smuggling sub. It was a joint operation between the Spanish, US and UK authorities in 2019. The guy who jumps on looks like a US marine. Whoever he is, my respect.

Last edited:

Aphra

Old-Salt

I did know that. It's one of the reasons I've always admired him. He was what my mother called a mensch. (For those without a knowledge of Yiddish, it means a particularly excellent man).

I did know that. It's one of the reasons I've always admired him. He was what my mother called a mensch. (For those without a knowledge of Yiddish, it means a particularly excellent man).
Yes.
In World War II, he volunteered for all services when the war broke out (the RAF was his first choice owing to the influence of his father's experience), but was initially rejected because of his father's nationality. (Peruvian)
How many others tried to 'get out of it'?
Top man, IMHO

Aphra

Old-Salt
Airey Neave was in MI9?

As I wrote recently...
As I've written before, so many famous people's memoirs talk about their fathers, who were at various camps for the liberation, 'but they never talked about it'.
Just think about it - WE go there and see the horror. And it is just fences, and bricks, and exhibits.
THEY went there, and saw it in its full terrifying reality.

Which plays into the hands of the denialist cnuts like Higgs Bosun, who say 'Hey, how come there's no history of this from an Allied point of view?'
Thank you for all that. I'm grateful for the recommendations. I will never be able to understand those who try to deny the truth, but then they would say I'm bound to say that given my heritage. Mr Bentine and his comrades were made of sterner stuff than I can imagine and I know the debt owed.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Yes.
In World War II, he volunteered for all services when the war broke out (the RAF was his first choice owing to the influence of his father's experience), but was initially rejected because of his father's nationality. (Peruvian)
How many others tried to 'get out of it'?
Top man, IMHO
Ah, yes, I seem to remember knowing he had Peruvian ancestry. I might have read it somewhere. See, this is why I finally signed up to Arrse. The breadth and depth of knowledge here is outstanding. Well, that and the swearing. One can never have enough variety of swearwords in ones vocabulary.

I will never be able to understand those who try to deny the truth, but then they would say I'm bound to say that given my heritage. .
Yes. Standard response from the denialist scum.
There WAS a very good thread here on the movie Denial, but it was spoiled by the mutt I named above.
However, in that movie, there is a very disturbing scene of Irving mocking the survivors.

Ah, yes, I seem to remember knowing he had Peruvian ancestry. I might have read it somewhere. See, this is why I finally signed up to Arrse. The breadth and depth of knowledge here is outstanding. Well, that and the swearing. One can never have enough variety of swearwords in ones vocabulary.
Fokof, jou poes!

Yes. Standard response from the denialist scum.
There WAS a very good thread here on the movie Denial, but it was spoiled by the mutt I named above.
However, in that movie, there is a very disturbing scene of Irving mocking the survivors.
Vile individual. I'd never normally say this about anyone, but I will celebrate the day he appears on the Dead Pool thread.

Latest Threads