All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

Ciggie

GCM
I find stories like this quite incredible. 9 hours to put out a fire in a flat ??????

When I was a kid a huge textile warehouse and factory in Dunfermline burned down one night. Our house was a good mile away and mostly in the shadow of a hill in relation to the fire, but the sky was lit up. That took a similar amount of time to get under control, and probably involved every available fire engine in Fife.

Fire brought under control after incredible nine-hour battle

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer

arfah

ADC
0A0233DD-3CC1-4CAC-8B31-A1B0922DB7DE.jpeg

I find stories like this quite incredible. 9 hours to put out a fire in a flat ??????

When I was a kid a huge textile warehouse and factory in Dunfermline burned down one night. Our house was a good mile away and mostly in the shadow of a hill in relation to the fire, but the sky was lit up. That took a similar amount of time to get under control, and probably involved every available fire engine in Fife.

Fire brought under control after incredible nine-hour battle
The fire service STOP and the last appliance leaving the fireground will be totally different to what the papers say.
Stop "the resources inattandance or on route will be sufficent to deal with the incident'

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Neither side were averse to using captured equipment, The Germans used Shermans, Renault light tanks and pretty much any van or truck they could lay their hands on.
In the desert war, German 88's changed hands several times and took out quite a few Panzers....

It was a risky game though, if you were using the oppositions kit in forward positions, there was a real risk of your own side taking you out, especially when silhouetted around dusk or dawn.

When Hermann Goring asked his Luftwaffe commanders what they needed to defeat the British, Adolf Galland supposedly requested a squadron of Spitfires.
He's also supposed to have said that the best thing about the Spitfire is there's so few of them!

Ciggie

GCM
Neither side were averse to using captured equipment, The Germans used Shermans, Renault light tanks and pretty much any van or truck they could lay their hands on.
In the desert war, German 88's changed hands several times and took out quite a few Panzers....

It was a risky game though, if you were using the oppositions kit in forward positions, there was a real risk of your own side taking you out, especially when silhouetted around dusk or dawn.

When Hermann Goring asked his Luftwaffe commanders what they needed to defeat the British, Adolf Galland supposedly requested a squadron of Spitfires.
He's also supposed to have said that the best thing about the Spitfire is there's so few of them!
I agree mostly, but ammunition must have been a real problem particularly with planes...unless of course they swapped guns, but those cannons on the Spitfire look original.

ie3bjz48jew61.jpg

Ciggie

GCM
Further to the Stuka bit...it must have been terrifying to be on the recieving end of a Stuka attack in the field...but at Dunkirk ? Great clip...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree mostly, but ammunition must have been a real problem particularly with planes...unless of course they swapped guns, but those cannons on the Spitfire look original.
They didn't. Those pictures are from Reichlin test centre where the aircraft were taken for evaluation to find their Achilles heel, they were never flown in combat.
There was a facility in France where captured and damaged German armour was taken to be reworked and re-equipped with compatible weapons, I think there was another one in the Netherlands for aircraft repairs - very few allied aircraft were captured intact due to the nature of their use.... ;)

Ciggie

GCM
Another classic bit of Luftwaffe kit. I have always liked the WWII German materiel...if that's the right word... by and large better designed than our and septic stuff...although the Spit, the Mozzie most of all, the Septic Lightning and as a workhorse, the Lanc. were all tops.

Edited to add..I had a stopoff at some provincial Spanish airport in the early 80s, can't remember where, could have been Valencia...might actually have been at Sevilla going to see someone off with the then gf, but I do remember an He 111 on display...thanks Franco, and his pal Adolf.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
@Ciggie
More photo's here mate.

And some details of the re-use of armour

Last edited:

Ciggie

GCM

Ciggie

GCM
Always liked Lionel's literary older brother. The **** of cnuts Tony B. Liar of course is no relation to either.

2cbba05e4b0771418f79400a6bf08844.jpeg

Billy Braindead here posted this in Come and have a go... by accident. Never mind. If you're reaaaaallly , and I mean reeeeeeeaaaalllly into the interweb, you may notice the subtle differences between the two which sum up my inner leitmotif.

Like **** ;)

Latest Threads