Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

IMG_20210116_085456.png

Another emaciated child on our streets who needs those food banks and parcels desperately.

I haven't heard such desperation and whinging since Nobby was refused his second stripe for the 13th year on the trot.

ETA - For full effect, turn up the volume a tadge.

Sounds like someone kicked a Clanger in the bollocks.

Just leave us in the corner with our failing eyesight and happy memories of a misspent youth. ;)
Or, even worse, sitting in the corner with our failing eyesight and adjusting our hearing aid and readjusting our Tena pad, lamenting what we didn't do in our respectfully behaved youth.

Another emaciated child on our streets who needs those food banks and parcels desperately.

I haven't heard such desperation and whinging since Nobby was refused his second stripe for the 13th year on the trot.

ETA - For full effect, turn up the volume a tadge.

I bet that hurt...

...still funny though...

Engineers Rule. (Ex 961st Cbt Eng (Cbt)(Hvy)

Other than removing a layer of topsoil (and mines ?!), What is the purpose of the "praying mantis" dozer ?!

Ah! Someone kindly answered, merely pushing any mines to the side . . . for them to be subsequently "cleared" with (great) difficulty :( .

Last edited:
Other than removing a layer of topsoil (and mines ?!), What is the purpose of the "praying mantis" dozer ?!

Ah! Someone kindly answered, merely pushing any mines to the side . . . for them to be subsequently "cleared" with (great) difficulty :( .
With a flail, they didn’t need to be cleared later!

With a flail, they didn’t need to be cleared later!

You’d think...

But flails were dropped post WW2 because they are (a) slow and (b) you can’t fire the main armament whilst you’re using them. The are also loud. Anyone who’s been in a maggot at night on Soltau etc will know that although you can hear that tanks are moving around, it’s not easy to pinpoint exactly where they are. BFO AT mines detonating will be a bit of a giveaway...

Also, if you read some of the stories in ‘Churchill’s Secret Weapons’ you’ll see that flails weren’t 100% reliable. This is because they form a cylinder of force as they rotate. Great on a football pitch (or a runway!) but they will skip over any irregularities. Mines in a hole or behind a rock can be missed. Flails also LOVE barbed wire. To be fair, in Normandy this still gave you better odds then leopard crawling up a beach with a bayonet.

Furthermore the advent of double-impulse fuzes (originally intended to defeat rollers) such as the British No 5 Fuze, and blast resistant mines (such as the VS50 and the PMN2 AP mines, and their AT equivalents) reduces the effectiveness of flails to about 50%, as I can personally attest to after operational trials in a number of countries. They also have a bad habit of throwing out these still-live mines into previously cleared area.

From a purely military perspective, mine ploughs* are still the best option for rapid breaching.

Flails do have a place, but it’s mainly for proving an area where mines aren’t...

* Americans please note correct spelling :)

Latest Threads