Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

dlrg

LE
Happy 90th birthday Michael Collins

collins.jpg

And there you have the difference that independence makes, thankfully. South Sudan is also quite “ethnically and physiologically” different than the rest, and thus didn’t have the disfavoured approach to alcohol that we were forced to endure, occasioned by the then Govt’s insistance that the Mission complement be predominantly followers of Allan ... but, we managed.
the followers of Alan are quite hypocritical when it comes to the demon drink, I have found. I worked in Syria and Azerbaijan in 1997 and found many enthusiastic drinkers among the carpet people. One site foreman of my acquaintance favoured Johnny Walker,to speed things along.

And there you have the difference that independence makes, thankfully. South Sudan is also quite “ethnically and physiologically” different than the rest, and thus didn’t have the disfavoured approach to alcohol that we were forced to endure, occasioned by the then Govt’s insistance that the Mission complement be predominantly followers of Allan ... but, we managed.

A couple of years after your dit (c2007 IIRC) the UNMAS compound got raided because they kicked the Arrse out of it and had a container full of booze. Probably grassed up by their local staff.

As you say it’s better in Juba (apart from the ******** **** hole of an airport).

@bigeye @PuriPuriManTumas

.... this exceedingly well scripted and presented clip from " Yes Minister " demonstrates an innovative solution to the " No Alcohol " difficulty ...

ETA .... this clip is actually cut short ..... there are several other interestingly named people resulting in more visits to the Comms Room .

Last edited:

Latest Threads