Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

Londo

LE
A rather unusual light railway
Used to see one of these when I was about 14 . Used to walk along a track between Manor Park and Wanstead Flats following the river Roding . The track used to curve round a sewage works so used to go through a fence into the SW as a short cut .
They had a monorail operating there very similar to the one in the vid to remove the silt screening . Interesting to watch .
All long gone now .

Sounds a bit fishy to me. Really old tv's don't work any more. Newer CRT tv's don't emit that much signal. Flat screens of all types are practically emission free. What are the odds that a periodic impulse from a discrete component tv would be broad spectrum enough to jam a whole band of low power channels, or powerful enough to knock out something like a DLOS signal?

Doesn't sound right to me.

Eta: Unless it was on the same mains ring as the modem and putting heavy RFI on the powerline.
Seems like I might have been wrong in my initial assumption. You can still use old valve driven CRT sets by connecting them to the RF output of various set-top boxes. Hadn't thought of that variant.

Tight gits, still using a 16" Bush TV in 2020.

Kirkz

LE
Seems like I might have been wrong in my initial assumption. You can still use old valve driven CRT sets by connecting them to the RF output of various set-top boxes. Hadn't thought of that variant.

Tight gits, still using a 16" Bush TV in 2020.
Yeah, I've pulled loads of fully working flat screens from skips or you can pick up a reasonable 32" off facecock marketplace or a carboot for about 20 quid.

Durandal1

Old-Salt
EijBapLX0AA_Nkn.jpg

Cracking movie with the lovely Alice Fay:

aardvark64

War Hero
Didn't work first time, show again...

endure

GCM

HE117

LE
A rather unusual light railway
Another type of reasonably successful monorail was invented by Louis Brennan.. it was gyroscopically stabilised, and in some versions used the flywheel as a power storage device..

Brennan is also interesting in that he invented a wire guided torpedo that was used for harbour defence. These were operated by the Royal Engineers and there used to be one in their museum. There were some fitted to forts and harbours on the south coast and one installation still exists in Hong Kong in a cave underneath the Hong Kong museum of coastal defence at the north end of the harbour on HK island. Worth a visit if you are there!

RN Bomb Squad attacked one near Weston S Mare on the 20th. Apparently it was inert. Didn't hear a thing.
ETA, a torpedo.

dlrg

LE
I don’t know who wrote this but I suspect it's what many of us may be thinking.

I’m sick of covid-19.
I’m sick of black vs. white.
I’m sick of labour vs conservative
I’m sick of gay vs. straight.
I’m REALLY sick of the media.
I’m sick of the language being used and plastered all over the media...
I’m sick of no-one being allowed to think what they want & feel what they do without offending someone.
I am sick of the people who are out there jumping on the bandwagon to protest just to cause mass confusion and more hatred and to riot, loot, and destroy...
I am sick of blaming the world for the sins of a few.
I like meat, again your choice not to eat meat, my choice to eat meat. End of.
I’m sick of people who think that 100yr old history is our fault... it’s history... get over it!!
We’re one race—the human race. We All Matter!!
You want to support Boris Johnson, You do it! It’s your choice.
You want to support Starmer? Fine... also your choice!
You want to believe in God? Ok, believe in God.
You want to believe in magical creatures that fly around & sprinkle fairy dust to make life better? Awesome... you do it!!
BUT how about being mature enough to be able to deal with the fact that everyone doesn’t have the same exact mind-set as you. Having our own minds is what makes us all individuals. If you can’t handle that fact....I’m sorry!!

Oxford's Jack Fm pushing the boundaries

It's even better when they're talking about it

1600863543170.png

Londo

LE
there was one, the torpedo, in Cork harbour and parts of the installation still exist. Wasnt it a Norwegian one that was the only one fired in anger?
Sunk the heavy cruiser Blutcher when the Germans invaded and captured Oslo . Two torpedo hits as well as gunfire . Not sure of the type of torpedo though

The Spy in Black:
Conrad Veidt at his finest., he died when he was 61.

Latest Threads