All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

I'll agree to an extent, but not entirely. I was in Bos at the time in an UNMO support role. The Dutch CO called COM UNPROFOR, Gen Janvier, asking for clarification of the ROE so that he could exert force. Gen Janvier called the UN in NY to be told, in essence, that there was no-one around until Monday and could he hold off until then.
I was there too and I had been in Srenrenica itself. The issue as I remember it was that for several weeks the Serbs had been testing the perimeter and CO DUTCHBAT had been asking for NATO air support. Akashi had refused to sign off on it. So he was in a bad mood when the Serbs walked up the road.

Although the RoE was self defence only, that didn’t (IMHO)* mean he should have allowed his soldiers to be disarmed. Especially knowing what was likely to happen next. That’s what a Lt Col is paid the big bucks for.

* it was also the opinion of several Dutch colleagues. Srebrenica is apparently considered a national disgrace in the Netherlands, not a UN **** up like Rwanda.

I was there too and I had been in Srenrenica itself. The issue as I remember it was that for several weeks the Serbs had been testing the perimeter and CO DUTCHBAT had been asking for NATO air support. Akashi had refused to sign off on it. So he was in a bad mood when the Serbs walked up the road.

Although the RoE was self defence only, that didn’t (IMHO)* mean he should have allowed his soldiers to be disarmed. Especially knowing what was likely to happen next. That’s what a Lt Col is paid the big bucks for.

* it was also the opinion of several Dutch colleagues. Srebrenica is apparently considered a national disgrace in the Netherlands, not a UN **** up like Rwanda.
Personally, I'd lay the blame at the feet of those who didn't enforce the Safe Area agreement earlier and allowed the Bosniaks to use them as concentration areas for attacks on local Serb civvies. How long did anyone expect the VRS to be the only side sticking to the deal?

Personally, I'd lay the blame at the feet of those who didn't enforce the Safe Area agreement earlier and allowed the Bosniaks to use them as concentration areas for attacks on local Serb civvies. How long did anyone expect the VRS to be the only side sticking to the deal?
That’s a valid point, but I think then offing 5,000 odd blokes was a bit ITT.

You could also argue that the Serbs didn’t help when they stopped freedom of movement in their areas and started taking pot shots at us.

It put us into an ‘us and them’ mindset.

Mary Hinge

Old-Salt
The origin of this rumor is a Pakistani site. All the Western media outlets that relayed it (mostly LGBT outlets) have since removed it from their site as their is no proof that Litzman has ever said that.
Now that I have checked the source, I agree with you. I have now removed the photo.

You could also argue that the Serbs didn’t help when they stopped freedom of movement in their areas and started taking pot shots at us.

It put us into an ‘us and them’ mindset.
I think they were always in that mindset. A rather paranoid bunch, although in fairness their neighbours have historically been out to get them.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
92456533_3312450462115660_5953691310756986880_n.jpg

Latest Threads