All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

.... and it must be true and accurate .... I just had to open your linky to the DM and see it is written by Ryan Morrison who is not just a Science and Technology Journalist but a Senior Science and Technology Journalist who said in an interview when asked " What it means to be a Journalist " ... replied ... " To be in the know and share that knowledge with others in a meaningful and easy to understand way " ... one can only speculate as to the skills of those who are not at his level .
What's really annoying, is that there is always a vestige of truth buried somewhere, deep down.
For example, the comet is going to be 5 times larger than Jupiter TO THE OBSERVER.

I think Dear Ryan will have to go back to father ted for more training.

TamH70

MIA
I know the Daily Wail is notorious for inaccuracies, but the latest crap is mind boggling.

They have reported that a comet (Atlas, C/2019 Y4) will be getting brighter as it nears the sun and us (True) and that the comet is 5 times the size of Jupiter and half the size of the sun. (FALSE)

I weep for the lack of any basic science or even common sense in their "reporting staff" If something half the size of the sun was going to orbit through the solar system, then it would make the present panic about COVID-19 look like a picnic conducted by the rockapes, because then we would all be doomed.

Giant comet is set to light up the night sky in April
The Daily Mail said:
The exact size of the rocky icy core of the strange comet isn't known but is likely only a few miles across - but it has a much larger atmosphere.
Something doesn't add up there :rolleyes:

Edit - the gas envelope and tail combined might be half the size of the Sun at their largest. Not quite the same thing.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
91629292_10217095196714471_8482105568268386304_n.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
91540012_2103890646424393_4793196022165667840_n.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
91428749_3697115100361257_2867799901771661312_n.jpg

I know the Daily Wail is notorious for inaccuracies, but the latest crap is mind boggling.

They have reported that a comet (Atlas, C/2019 Y4) will be getting brighter as it nears the sun and us (True) and that the comet is 5 times the size of Jupiter and half the size of the sun. (FALSE)

I weep for the lack of any basic science or even common sense in their "reporting staff" If something half the size of the sun was going to orbit through the solar system, then it would make the present panic about COVID-19 look like a picnic conducted by the rockapes, because then we would all be doomed.

Giant comet is set to light up the night sky in April
"Since it was first discovered in December the gaseous envelope surrounding the comet has ballooned in diameter to a staggering 447,387 miles.

In contrast the Sun has a diameter of 865,370 miles, Jupiter's diameter is 86,881 miles and the Earth is just 7,917 miles.

It poses no danger to Earth as even at its closest point it will be more than 72 million miles away from our planet but will be very bright"

"Since it was first discovered in December the gaseous envelope surrounding the comet has ballooned in diameter to a staggering 447,387 miles.

In contrast the Sun has a diameter of 865,370 miles, Jupiter's diameter is 86,881 miles and the Earth is just 7,917 miles.

It poses no danger to Earth as even at its closest point it will be more than 72 million miles away from our planet but will be very bright"
Pfft. It'll be cloudy all month. Guaranteed.

Latest Threads