All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed it.

There's off grid and there's off grid! We only have mains electricity, and even then we have a generator. Gas is in a tank, water from a well and sewer is a septic system. No phone line, just wireless. It was only in the 40s that the area where we live got mains power.

Yet those guys are completely off grid! I liked how the Russian guy built his cabin, sealing the log layers. His technique for making the notches seemed a bit more efficient too. But having read a little about Dick Proenneke, it seems he was 51 when he built his cabin and lived there for 30 years. He built that before I was born, and at an age a year older than I am now.
Quite a character, at the age of 51 he must have been well pi55ed with society.

It was only in the 40s that the area where we live got mains power.
Me and the missus built our home, took us a couple of years as we were both still working and it was quite a ways from where we lived

These days we don't even have mains power, couple of windmills generate our leccy and we also have a whole house genny for backup in case of problems. Like you we have the septic system and water is well water. For emergencies I bought one of these and it works great using the well head. Deep Well Hand Pumps 300 Foot Static

Me and the missus built our home, took us a couple of years as we were both still working and it was quite a ways from where we lived

These days we don't even have mains power, couple of windmills generate our leccy and we also have a whole house genny for backup in case of problems. Like you we have the septic system and water is well water. For emergencies I bought one of these and it works great using the well head. Deep Well Hand Pumps 300 Foot Static
That hand pump looks a handy piece of kit!

Quite a character, at the age of 51 he must have been well pi55ed with society.
He lived there for around 30 years, he had to call it quits when he became too old and frail to do what needed to be done to survive and moved back to mainstream life. He died back in 2003 aged 87.

That hand pump looks a handy piece of kit!
It really is a great piece of kit. We hooked it up when it first arrived to try it out and it worked great. I contacted the company to ask if it was okay to leave it in place and they said it was not problem as it wouldn't rust. I use it a couple of times a week just to keep it mechanically sound.

Thought this might go in 'Fit Birds in Uniform' thread but settled for here. Fit or not, they're certainly talented.

Ladies of the Japanese Self Defence Forces Bands giving it some Holst.

The singer on the right on stage, Miyaki Yukari, is classically trained (as well the others all might be) and quite versatile with her singing;

and here;

Last edited:
Thought this might go in 'Fit Birds in Uniform' thread but settled for here. Fit or not, they're certainly talented.

Ladies of the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force Bands giving it some Holst.

The singer on the right on stage, Miyaki Yukari, is classically trained (as well the others all might be) and quite versatile with her singing;

and here;
After watching these, are you 'happy' now?

Ladies of the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force Bands giving it some Holst.

and here;
North Korea's Moranbong band. I believe they are all serving members of their armed forces. The songs are all propaganda stuff.

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed it.

There's off grid and there's off grid! We only have mains electricity, and even then we have a generator. Gas is in a tank, water from a well and sewer is a septic system. No phone line, just wireless. It was only in the 40s that the area where we live got mains power.

Yet those guys are completely off grid! I liked how the Russian guy built his cabin, sealing the log layers. His technique for making the notches seemed a bit more efficient too. But having read a little about Dick Proenneke, it seems he was 51 when he built his cabin and lived there for 30 years. He built that before I was born, and at an age a year older than I am now.
I fancied a place off grid in Wales, cheap wouldn't need a mortgage, fantastic views around, but really off grid, no internet, no mains gas or electricity or water

The missus told me to jog on

Still no mains gas where did buy, but that's normal for North Wales

I fancied a place off grid in Wales, cheap wouldn't need a mortgage, fantastic views around, but really off grid, no internet, no mains gas or electricity or water

The missus told me to jog on

Still no mains gas where did buy, but that's normal for North Wales
We have satellite internet, works just fine even when the weather is crap. About the only time it goes down is during thunderstorms and that's usually passes fairly quickly. When we first bought our place it had none of the stuff you mention in your post, we use propane from a BFO tank.

The initial outlay is expensive but once it's up and running it more than pays for itself. Our heating system can be converted to electricity if needs be.

Did they win the Norkovision song contest again?
Apparently they were all hand picked by the Dear Fatty himself.

Interested to know the details of the windmill. It's a lot more windy here than I thought it would be, so perhaps a windmill might be feasible. Hand pump seems like a good idea too, although our well is a bit deeper than 300ft. 350 rings a bell.

We have satellite internet, works just fine even when the weather is crap. About the only time it goes down is during thunderstorms and that's usually passes fairly quickly. When we first bought our place it had none of the stuff you mention in your post, we use propane from a BFO tank.

The initial outlay is expensive but once it's up and running it more than pays for itself. Our heating system can be converted to electricity if needs be.
Is your gene propane-fueled? Ours is not whole-home, couldn't run the AC on it. Cheap Chinese thing from Costco. It can be converted to propane, but was thinking of maybe getting a whole-home propane-fueled backup and sell this one.

Latest Threads