All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

Zero Alpha found this (on harridansnet. Don't hate me).

The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

It got me spot on, "between Newcastle and Middlesbrough". Could only really have been more accurate had it said, "between South Shields and Sunderland and served in the Geordie Hussars."

Struggled with her, cos her parents followed her father's job around the country. Ditto with our son.

Curious how accurate it is among a military community.
Got me spot on. There's a big red area in the West Centre of Scotland which covers everywhere I've ever lived that I wasn't getting paid to.

In parts of the North, accent is different on one side of a hill from another. Got me somewhere twixt Blackpool and Sheffield so a good guess. :cool:
There's a massive difference in accent within a few miles of anywhere, the machine is just looking for a regional word and slapping a huge area around it.

Some context would be good if you've got any?
Gay Z-list "celebrity" who acts in a show called "Empire" said that he got beat up in Chicago by two homophobes saying "This is MAGA country!". His story is unravelling faster than my attempts at darning my socks.

Gay Z-list "celebrity" who acts in a show called "Empire" said that he got beat up in Chicago by two homophobes saying "This is MAGA country!". His story is unravelling faster than my attempts at darning my socks.
Oh, that guy. I've heard about the case but haven't paid it too much attention.

Thanks for the information.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's a massive difference in accent within a few miles of anywhere, the machine is just looking for a regional word and slapping a huge area around it.
The article does actually acknowledge that phenomenon, pointing out that differences in dialect went all the way down to village level, with only a couple of miles between them (this is definitely the case up to the 1980s). But goes on, rightly, to point out that the dialect differences at that micro level were fast fading and that regional differences a better indicators in this day and age. I was pleased that they were awed by the the huge number of dialects within this archipelago.

I broke the damn thing when I tried it, it got very confused and started wailing I don't know at me

Same where I live. The accent changes dependant on where in the valley you live. The computer has thrown a big red blanket over most of South Wales. Cardiff accent is totally different to where I live.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In parts of the North, accent is different on one side of a hill from another. Got me somewhere twixt Blackpool and Sheffield so a good guess. :cool:
Me Dad worked in Colombia after the war. Me mum flew out to join him. She was met by a company rep who'd only spoken Spanish for years. He asked why she was confused. "Your accent. I can't decide whether it's Jarrow or Hebburn.'

"Born in Jarrow. Grew up in Hebburn."