All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

I got presented something akin to the plaque below by some US colleagues at the end of a particular tour, except it was a AK47 bayonet and scabbard.

I carried in my daysack when I flew out as I had no room in my bergen. I flew into Lyneham and stayed there in transit for a night as I was booked on the next Herc flight to Hannover. On being called forward that morning, I forgot all about it and shoved the daysack through the X-Ray scanner. The snow drop nearly fell off her seat and shouted as if I was an imminent danger. I was suddenly surround by Snowdrops menacingly as they pulled out the contents of the bag and decided if I needed executing or not. The disapproving looks and tuts meant I wasn't going to get away from this lightly.

Then the RLC Liaison movements SNCO strolled over, checked that the bayonet was secured properly to the plinth and with rolled eye's, handed it back to me, told me not to be a prick again. I proceeded through to the aircraft doing the walk of shame between the RAF. :blush:

View attachment 362002
I got called to security screening at my local international airport ahead of a holiday in London. They'd seen an image of something in my kit bag they could not identify by X-ray and wanted to see it in person. While I was undoing the bag, I asked the older of the two screeners if perhaps he'd been in the Navy. He said he had been. Then you will recognize this USN Mk II "talker's" helmet design to be worn over headphones.

"Why are you taking that to London?"

"I'm giving it to the Imperial War Museum because the one they have looks like **** and this one had never been issued."

'Pass, friend.'

And he'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
TMAYTBLAIR.jpg

(Possibly been done before....??)

Nine Thoughts to Ponder

Number 9 - Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
Number 8 - Life is sexually transmitted.
Number 7- Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Number 6 - Men have two emotions: hungry and horny, and they can't tell them apart. If you see a gleam in his eyes, make him a sandwich.
Number 5 - Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
Number 4 - Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.
Number 3 - All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
Number 2 - In the 60's, people took Acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Number 1- Life is like a jar of jalapeno peppers. What you do today might burn your arse tomorrow.
...and as someone recently said to me: Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Just love the Vickers crew gradually disappearing under a pile of spent brass... :)

Captain Graham Hutchison recorded this account of the Vickers in action during an attack on High Wood in August 1916 (exerpted from "The Grand old Lady of No Man's Land by Dolf Goldsmith):

For this attack, [ten] guns were grouped in the Savoy Trench, from which a magnificent view was obtained of the German line at a range of about 2000 yards. These guns were disposed for barrage. On August 23rd and the night of the 23rd/24th the whole Company was, in addition to the two Companies of Infantry lent for the purpose, employed in carrying water and ammunition to this point. Many factors in barrage work which are now common knowledge had not then been learned or considered. It is amusing today to note that in the orders for the 100th Machine Gun Company's barrage of 10 guns, Captain Hutchison ordered that rapid fire should be maintained continuously for twelve hours, to cover the attack and consolidation. It is to the credit of the gunners and the Vickers gun itself that this was done! During the attack on the 24th, 250 rounds short of one million were fired by ten guns; at least four petrol tins of water besides all the water bottles of the Company and urine tins form the neighborhood were emptied into the guns for cooling purposes; and a continuous party was employed carrying ammunition. Private Robertshaw and Artificer H. Bartlett between them maintained a belt-filling machine in action without stopping for a single moment, for twelve hours. At the end of this time many of the NCOs and gunners were found asleep from exhaustion at their posts. A prize of five francs to the members of each gun team was offered and was secured by the gun team of Sgt. P. Dean, DCM, with a record of just over 120,000 rounds.
Ian Hogg (Master Gunner of the British Army - retired in 1972) mentioned this action in one of his books and said of the Vickers "Now that is reliability"... and commented on how many of the modern "pressed steel and wire" guns could do the same... :)
Just in case you have not seen it - Somewhere in that video he mentions that as these guns were retired, for a test, they put 5 million rounds of ammunition through it in 7 days, only stopping to change barrels. working in 2 man teams around the clock. Afterwards, they checked it out and it was still entirely within spec and in perfect working order.

This gun was replaced in service by the 3 inch motar.

Last edited:

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
Your assumption being the scanner is even working. I know of instances where the thing was inop but the duty mongs still insisted stuff went through it. One of the retards was stood there with a broom shoving stuff through the scanner.

Local airfield handling some large traffic installed a new security gate and scanning system. I went through there one morning to help a student get an aircraft started. Toolbox with screwdrivers, hammers, Stanley knives et al was scanned and they insisted I also put the Kershaw folding knife and the Kabar G10 Mule in my pockets through the X-ray scanner, which they kindly handed back to me once I'd passed through the metal detector.

I'm still baffled as to what they were scanning for and how one would hide something inside a folding knife other than a BFO BLADE which was handed back to me. Monkeys following orders that everything must be scanned. Once through the machine it's regarded as safe and no longer their problem. The Mills bomb comment above is right on the nose.
There was a letter in the Torygraph a few years ago from a disgruntled pilot, subjected to the shabby regs like no nail scissors, etc and the attentions of knuckledragging jobsworths like everyone else, got to the cockpit, took down the crash axe, situated above the pilot, to break through fuselage in the event of being trapped in a crash and mandatory equipment, went back to security, handed it to them, explaining that he'd just found it in his plane. They were most grateful. Went back, through the preflight checklist...Oh! No crash axe...can't fly. Ladies and gentlemen, due to an unexpected equipment failure this flight will be delayed until the matter is resolved. Please send any complaints to Airport Security. Thank you.

German Couple Prosecuted After Naming Child Tony Blair
November 13, 2018 - BREAKING NEWS, WORLD NEWS

A GERMAN couple have been convicted in a Berlin court over charges relating to their first born son, who they named after one of the most notorious terrorist leaders in recent history.

Tony Blair Müeller, now aged 6 months, was born to Maria Müeller and her husband Erik in May of this year, and immediately prompted concerns among family members who questioned the couple’s choice of first and second name for their baby.

“I thought it was not right to name the baby after an evil man responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths” said the grandmother of the child, speaking without a German accent despite how you may be reading her.

“I had heard about the English couple who were investigated after they named their kid Hitler, so I contacted the authorities”.

At the hearing, the prosecution provided evidence that the naming of the child was no coincidence, as the Müeller’s have long been linked to breakaway center-right groups sympathetic to New Labour policies, Britpop, preemptive strikes on countries that do not pose a threat, and secretly being a total Tory.

“It is the opinion of this court that you gave your child the name Tony and the name Blair in an attempt to normalise the conversation surrounding this war criminal” said Judge Heinrich Strechfällen, again, with no accent whatsoever.

“You are hereby ordered to name the child after a less controversial, more humanitarian English public figure. Maybe Fred West Müeller. Or Harold Shipman Müeller. Something the kid can live with, without being tormented for life”.

Fears are growing that the rulings about giving your kids terrorist names may reach Ireland, where almost every child shares a name with someone from a paramilitary organisation.

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
November 13, 2018 - BREAKING NEWS, WORLD NEWS

A GERMAN couple have been convicted in a Berlin court over charges relating to their first born son, who they named after one of the most notorious terrorist leaders in recent history.

Tony Blair Müeller, now aged 6 months, was born to Maria Müeller and her husband Erik in May of this year, and immediately prompted concerns among family members who questioned the couple’s choice of first and second name for their baby.

“I thought it was not right to name the baby after an evil man responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths” said the grandmother of the child, speaking without a German accent despite how you may be reading her.

“I had heard about the English couple who were investigated after they named their kid Hitler, so I contacted the authorities”.

At the hearing, the prosecution provided evidence that the naming of the child was no coincidence, as the Müeller’s have long been linked to breakaway center-right groups sympathetic to New Labour policies, Britpop, preemptive strikes on countries that do not pose a threat, and secretly being a total Tory.

“It is the opinion of this court that you gave your child the name Tony and the name Blair in an attempt to normalise the conversation surrounding this war criminal” said Judge Heinrich Strechfällen, again, with no accent whatsoever.

“You are hereby ordered to name the child after a less controversial, more humanitarian English public figure. Maybe Fred West Müeller. Or Harold Shipman Müeller. Something the kid can live with, without being tormented for life”.

Fears are growing that the rulings about giving your kids terrorist names may reach Ireland, where almost every child shares a name with someone from a paramilitary organisation.

Have a shedload of funnies for that!!!!! Excellent!!!!

There was a letter in the Torygraph a few years ago from a disgruntled pilot, subjected to the shabby regs like no nail scissors, etc and the attentions of knuckledragging jobsworths like everyone else, got to the cockpit, took down the crash axe, situated above the pilot, to break through fuselage in the event of being trapped in a crash and mandatory equipment, went back to security, handed it to them, explaining that he'd just found it in his plane. They were most grateful. Went back, through the preflight checklist...Oh! No crash axe...can't fly. Ladies and gentlemen, due to an unexpected equipment failure this flight will be delayed until the matter is resolved. Please send any complaints to Airport Security. Thank you.
I agree that many of those rules are stupid and there should be exceptions - muslims for example, ought to go through a stricter line than the rest of us (the shock!) but i actually think that the more human contact the air crew have to have with the ground staff the better. A number of passenger airline pilots have been caught being too pissed to fly in this way.

The recent japanese pilot got caught because the bus driver on the way to the plan smelled the alcohol coming off him

Drunk Japanese pilot arrested at Heathrow