All Internet links/videos/pictures in here ONLY

I just got back and was treated with courtesy and respect by the French, always have been,

including this guy who gave me a few samples to bring back !!!
and this young lady who bent the rules to let my elderly parents visit the Sir John Monash Centre
and the farmer who was so pleased to see a British visitor laying a wreath at the tiny cemetery in the middle of his farm that he burst into tears, and explained that they were all part of his family now
Did Fireplace give you a hand to write that saccharine drenched shite?

Some years ago I was having lunch with my mother and an old friend of hers. The friend produced a Swiss army knife from her purse for me to look at.

I tore a rectangular piece of napkin, stuck it on one of the blades, held it up and waved it.

"Look!" says I. "I've made it into a FRENCH army knife."

Several folks at nearby tables burst out laughing.

========

Oh, geez! I just did a web search and found several similar images, unknown to me those years ago.
No you didn't.

They didn't.

Amusing, but.
Have a look at the guy on the left, supposedly monitoring the x-ray images on his screen.

Not a fukcing twitch.

Just goes to prove what I've always suspected, that these blokes, all over the world, are zoned out most of the time, and you could put a Mills grenade through on of those scanners and get zero reaction.
I have been in the control room at my county's jail. The poor bugger who drew the short straw sits before at least a dozen TV screens which regularly switch to I have no idea how many cameras.

The end result is similar to what traffic coppers call "highway hypnosis."

Armistice Match, Bisley 10/11/2018

Just love the Vickers crew gradually disappearing under a pile of spent brass... :)

Captain Graham Hutchison recorded this account of the Vickers in action during an attack on High Wood in August 1916 (exerpted from "The Grand old Lady of No Man's Land by Dolf Goldsmith):

For this attack, [ten] guns were grouped in the Savoy Trench, from which a magnificent view was obtained of the German line at a range of about 2000 yards. These guns were disposed for barrage. On August 23rd and the night of the 23rd/24th the whole Company was, in addition to the two Companies of Infantry lent for the purpose, employed in carrying water and ammunition to this point. Many factors in barrage work which are now common knowledge had not then been learned or considered. It is amusing today to note that in the orders for the 100th Machine Gun Company's barrage of 10 guns, Captain Hutchison ordered that rapid fire should be maintained continuously for twelve hours, to cover the attack and consolidation. It is to the credit of the gunners and the Vickers gun itself that this was done! During the attack on the 24th, 250 rounds short of one million were fired by ten guns; at least four petrol tins of water besides all the water bottles of the Company and urine tins form the neighborhood were emptied into the guns for cooling purposes; and a continuous party was employed carrying ammunition. Private Robertshaw and Artificer H. Bartlett between them maintained a belt-filling machine in action without stopping for a single moment, for twelve hours. At the end of this time many of the NCOs and gunners were found asleep from exhaustion at their posts. A prize of five francs to the members of each gun team was offered and was secured by the gun team of Sgt. P. Dean, DCM, with a record of just over 120,000 rounds.
Ian Hogg (Master Gunner of the British Army - retired in 1972) mentioned this action in one of his books and said of the Vickers "Now that is reliability"... and commented on how many of the modern "pressed steel and wire" guns could do the same... :)

Your assumption being the scanner is even working. I know of instances where the thing was inop but the duty mongs still insisted stuff went through it. One of the retards was stood there with a broom shoving stuff through the scanner.

Local airfield handling some large traffic installed a new security gate and scanning system. I went through there one morning to help a student get an aircraft started. Toolbox with screwdrivers, hammers, Stanley knives et al was scanned and they insisted I also put the Kershaw folding knife and the Kabar G10 Mule in my pockets through the X-ray scanner, which they kindly handed back to me once I'd passed through the metal detector.

I'm still baffled as to what they were scanning for and how one would hide something inside a folding knife other than a BFO BLADE which was handed back to me. Monkeys following orders that everything must be scanned. Once through the machine it's regarded as safe and no longer their problem. The Mills bomb comment above is right on the nose.
I got presented something akin to the plaque below by some US colleagues at the end of a particular tour, except it was a AK47 bayonet and scabbard.

I carried in my daysack when I flew out as I had no room in my bergen. I flew into Lyneham and stayed there in transit for a night as I was booked on the next Herc flight to Hannover. On being called forward that morning, I forgot all about it and shoved the daysack through the X-Ray scanner. The snow drop nearly fell off her seat and shouted as if I was an imminent danger. I was suddenly surround by Snowdrops menacingly as they pulled out the contents of the bag and decided if I needed executing or not. The disapproving looks and tuts meant I wasn't going to get away from this lightly.

Then the RLC Liaison movements SNCO strolled over, checked that the bayonet was secured properly to the plinth and with rolled eye's, handed it back to me, told me not to be a prick again. I proceeded through to the aircraft doing the walk of shame between the RAF. :blush:

1542366639487.png