Anyone want anything from the fridge?
35941799_911893805680059_3068880563944292352_n.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
35839745_1469082796530045_330739501431259136_n.jpg

Bet that hurt!

@Ciggie - FFS, stop, man: you're embarrassing yourself more than usual.
Hmmm, take a look at the likes and the funnies. I know big boys like you don't eat their words, but the old Ciggie-stalking....I don't give a fuck...by all means keep it up if it pleasures you in some bizarre way, but frankly, it makes a bigger knob out of you than it does out of me.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why was she using an Engineers square to mark timber ?
Engineers Squares tend to hold square, traditional try squares can easily go out of square. Tbh, it's not hard to resquare them.

@Joshua Slocum is right though, most chippies today buy hardpoint saws and don't sharpen. Figuring time saved is money saved, but you still need to factor in the time to get in tge van and go buy one. Resharpening saws is a doddle though, takes 10 minutes.

You need two saws though, a rip and a crosscut, rip is sharpened at 90 degrees to the plate, crosscuts around 60ish. Most hardpoints are crosscut hybrids so not really great for ripping.

That's the way I was taught by my Grandfather. I wouldn't have a hardpoint saw in the tool box. All of mine are made by Disston. I also own a few Japanese pull saws as I prefer the thinner kerf on them.
A saw set. Used for setting the angles on the teeth.
View attachment 339140

Using a saw clamp and set

View attachment 339141

Saw jointed, used instead of clamp
View attachment 339142
I agree about the Japanese saws, I had one for my dovetail joints. Lent it to a mate. Never seen again.
Last time I was in Bunnings, (Aussie based DIY centre) they were selling crosscut saws with hardened teeth for $3.99. Saw lots of tradies buying them in batches of 10 or so. I asked one, and he said it was a damned site cheaper to use until getting blunt, then throw it out, compared to the cost of getting a re-shsrpen and set.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I agree about the Japanese saws, I had one for my dovetail joints. Lent it to a mate. Never seen again.
Last time I was in Bunnings, (Aussie based DIY centre) they were selling crosscut saws with hardened teeth for $3.99. Saw lots of tradies buying them in batches of 10 or so. I asked one, and he said it was a damned site cheaper to use until getting blunt, then throw it out, compared to the cost of getting a re-shsrpen and set.
You only have to set them if they are really out of whack or really flat. I've never had to re-set a saw yet. Though at some point I will.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You only have to set them if they are really out of whack or really flat. I've never had to re-set a saw yet. Though at some point I will.
Tends to happen a lot when using used or recycled timber. I have found anything from shotgun pellets, to nails and screws. Not everything can show up on a metal detector. When you hit a nail with your recently sharpened Disston, apart from causing the air to turn blue; it don't half give you a bleeding jolt!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tends to happen a lot when using used or recycled timber. I have found anything from shotgun pellets, to nails and screws. Not everything can show up on a metal detector. When you hit a nail with your recently sharpened Disston, apart from causing the air to turn blue; it don't half give you a bleeding jolt!
Pick up a pair of S&Js, cost bobbins and resharpen easily, they come as crosscuts so you'll need to convert one to rip. Mine have handled everything from Oak, Jarra, Elm, to Greenheart & Purpleheart without missing a beat.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
flat 1.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
grass_eaters - 1.jpg