Figures All Figure related kit builds here please

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bit more done on "Teutul Snr" as he's been nick named, nearly finished now, just pondering how to base this one o_O

daz

LE
It will get finished at some stage @Helm, honest :)
IMG_20180814_211225.jpg

daz

LE
Bit like the Wokka huh?
Yep..... serious note, suffering eyesight problems at the moment and that's making painting details very hard work :(

daz

LE
Yep..... serious note, suffering eyesight problems at the moment and that's making painting details very hard work :(
Hey Daz, Dad used to suffer with his eyes, from sitting at a Drawing board all day, then his modelling in the evening.
His remedy was to use a good adjustable desk lamp, an adjustable clamp/stand to hold the figure. A 4 inch magnifying glass also on a stand, leaving both hands free. That way he wasn't scrunched up squinting at his figures.

daz

LE
Hey Daz, Dad used to suffer with his eyes, from sitting at a Drawing board all day, then his modelling in the evening.
His remedy was to use a good adjustable desk lamp, an adjustable clamp/stand to hold the figure. A 4 inch magnifying glass also on a stand, leaving both hands free. That way he wasn't scrunched up squinting at his figures.
Just had this delivered in the post, see if that helps,,,,, but at this rate, I'll been heading towards the 8 time zone before long :)

Tried the clamp/stand/magnifying glass combo before, just cant use the bloody thing

Thanks for the tips BTW

IMG_20180831_190553.jpg

daz

LE
I never waste a kit, or kit parts, this box of multiple figures US Marines and US Army Airfix multi pose was laying in the stash, so some time ago decided to make a diorama and use them up, needed quite a lot of figure conversion to bring them up to scratch.

I wanted to create a small space tight Infantry diorama, with a lot of figures taking cover behind a wall, Tarawa, The sea wall was made from coconut tree logs, so my logs weren't that accurate, but passable.

next thing to make was the beach base itself.

the figures uniforms are inaccurate, but with some re modelling, could be made to look the part.

Marines of the time wore boon dockers, rather than paratroop jump boots, and their trouser legs loose at the bottom to allow water to escape.

the figures had shirts rather than the jackets they wore.

the only thing that was easy to re model was the weapons, being 1/32 they are large enough to work with easily.

the set includes the M3 Greasers and the 3.5 Bazooka, not used on Tarawa.

the idea called for small group vignets, which I developed over time with the limitations of the kit supplied

the Rifles painted with variations to the stock wood colour

I'm not the most naturally skilled figure modeller, but where there's a will there's a way.

my figures have a impressionist face, a vague description of a man, like you see in old fuzy war footage, rather than a detailed figure portrait.
making some of the equipment not included in the sets, like the shore to ship radio, the medic haversack, needed some research, in this early phaze, the medics, being USN, dressed differently to the Marines, they found their losses mount due to Japanese snipers, and later landings saw them dressed the same.

Latest Threads