All British soldiers to be out of Iraq in 12 months

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Mar 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All British soldiers to be out of Iraq in 12 months
    By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent Telegraph
    (Filed: 05/03/2006)

All British and United States troops serving in Iraq will be withdrawn within a year in an effort to bring peace and stability to the country.

The news came as defence chiefs admitted privately that the British troop commitment in Afghanistan may last for up to 10 years.

Iraq's national defence force will assume responsibility for security
    The planned pull-out from Iraq follows the acceptance by London and Washington that the presence of the coalition, mainly composed of British and US troops, is now seen as the main obstacle to peace.

According to a senior defence source directly involved in planning the withdrawal, Britain is the driving force behind the scheme. The early spring of next year has been identified as the optimum time for the start of the complex and dangerous operation.

2. I dont know about the UK, but the US WILL NOT be out of Iraq in 12 months.
  3. I hope that they are, I can not see where we can go forward in Iraq. The lads have done everything that was asked of them and more and we shouldn't risk them for a day more than neccesary.
  4. But they never said which 12 months they had in mind.......
  5. I wonder what odds I can get at the bookies on this not happening..
  6. Last man out turn out the lights
    The whole region will degenerate into a bloodbath
    Iran may get delusions of military adequacy(?) and try a land grab
    The Kurds will try and declare a homeland in the north and any one else will try and grab what they can.
    JOB well done TCB AND GWB, a country the population can be rightly proud of, IRAQ, where you can't wait for a bus,go shopping , and everyone is armed to the teeth.
    Must be just like TEXAS.
  7. What terrible news :cry: i had no idea that the oil in Iraq was due to run out so soon :roll:
  8. Don't worry.;jsessionid=QVYGYICG0KXPRQFIQMFCFFOAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2006/03/05/wirq05.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/03/05/ixportaltop.html

It means: after the start the withdrawal will consume 12 months. The withdrawal itself will take place likely in 2009-2010.
  9. Yeah , yeah.... How many times have we heard that over the past 3 years ??? Tango34 is along the right lines in the fact it,ll probally take 12mths + to leave Iraq. But which 12mths it,ll be remains to be seen.

Regards LT

10. I think we saw this exact same thread in Feb / Mar 05 did we not?
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Yup - and we will be getting it again same time next year
  12. Shouldn't this be in the Naafi Bar? 8O
  13. This story will be running in 12 months time....and in another 12 months...
  14. It'll all be over by Christmas...........
  15. Alls i can say is dont book a holiday!!!