All Arms skill At Arms (short) TA

#2
When I did mine you got I day off. The qualification supercedes cmcq. You are allowed to coach and act as a safety supervisor on a gallery range, as well as conduct wht's on LSW and rifle.
Course is not hard physically but is mentally so you need to prep your lessons the night before and practice running through your teaching practices dry, and the si's have a nasty habit of stopping someone and getting another to take over where they left off. Any lack of preparation will show.
You will be taken through each rifle lesson during the first week but will be thrown in a teaching practice every night. It pays to have an excellent knowledge of the weapon system so swot up on the a2 and lsw before you go as well as on lesson plans. Practice your explanation, demonstration, imitation, practice (EDIP) as it is more difficult than you think as people have a tendency to explain and demonstrate at the same time and again the SI's are sh*t hot on this.
A good course and gets you out of being the ammo nco on range weekends.
 
#5
The TA SAA qualification only allows to instruct and conduct WHT's on rifle/lsw. If you have passed the SAA and MG SF commanders course then I suspect you would be able to instruct on GPMG.
If in doubt do not instruct on a weapon system you are not confident on.
 
#6
When I did it we were told that after being taught how to teach a Weapons lesson by the SASC and passing the course we could teach and test on ANY system that we A. Had the Pam for and B. had passed a WHT on.

Otherwise the TA would never be able to instruct on other systems, eg SA80A2, GPMG, Minimi, 9mm Pistol, 51mm Mortar etc....
 
#7
If that is the case then why does the regular course cover these different weapon systems? They needn't bother if it was just a case of passing a WHT and reading the relevant pam!!
 
#8
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
When I did it we were told that after being taught how to teach a Weapons lesson by the SASC and passing the course we could teach and test on ANY system that we A. Had the Pam for and B. had passed a WHT on.

Otherwise the TA would never be able to instruct on other systems, eg SA80A2, GPMG, Minimi, 9mm Pistol, 51mm Mortar etc....
All I have heard about this issue, is be "current and competent" on that weapon system to be able to instruct on it.
So yes, according to what I have been told, on completion of this course, there is nothing to stop you from teaching other weapons systems.
Of course the definitive answer will come from the SASC.
 
#9
Carlos is right... the course is about HOW to teach weapons lessons. If you've got the relevant WHT then you can teach and test.

And you also get CMCQ... its either the SA(K) qualification or the other one (the name escapes me).

The Regs do 8 weeks because:

a) they can
b) they need 8 weeks (standing by on that comment!)
c) LFTT is also included.

TB
 
#10
Anyone got dates for this years courses? And is it still 2 weeks?
 
#11
And to answer SSI's question...

Yeah, bloody good course IMHO. Good staff who just want to turn out good instructors, no f*ck about factor involved.

TB
 
#12
TopBadger said:
And you also get CMCQ... its either the SA(K) qualification or the other one (the name escapes me).
It is the SA (K) 90 qual, with the RMQ 1-3 being SA (B) 90, whereas the regulars go on to do SA (A) 90, which we can't do.
 
#14
Svyazist said:
devilish said:
Anyone got dates for this years courses? And is it still 2 weeks?
10th to 24th March, with 90 pax on the course and 160 reserves!
Christ on a bike! Any more further on in the new financial year?
 
#15
I believe that it is one per year at IBS, hence the large amount of numbers on the one course, my training wing put in my course application last November!
Although I have heard of ATRs putting on these courses, I believe (not too sure, please don't quote me on it!) that there was one at Bassingbourne last year and also one held at Grantham.
 
#16
As far as I remember, local BTT may be starting to offer this course shortly...I know 15 bde are discussing one in June/July this year.
 
#18
I can honestly say it was one of the hardest courses I have done, including GCSEs, A Levels (before the days when a toddler could pass one) and two degrees - but well worth it.

I did mine in 2003, and then CMCQ was part of the course.

We got told that you could instruct any weapon afterwards, but advised ringing up SASC beforehand if you are unsure on the weapon and they will help you go through it first.

The Regs do a much longer course, as they also do RMQ as part of the course and as has been said, they have the time to teach most weapons.

You are expected to know what you are talking about before you go, i.e. know the parts of the rifle/LSW, know the drills, know the fieldcraft. You are there to learn how to teach weapons, not to learn the weapons.

If Sully is still there, try to get into his syndicate...a very good teacher!

Oh yes, and the first day you are there is the only day you will have time to go out on. Others went out during the course and failed in spectacular style! The instructors will also have no problem RTUing you if you are unsafe/cr@p!!!
 
#19
devilish said:
Svyazist said:
devilish said:
Anyone got dates for this years courses? And is it still 2 weeks?
10th to 24th March, with 90 pax on the course and 160 reserves!
Christ on a bike! Any more further on in the new financial year?
Its oversubscribed, true, but it's well worth turning up without an invite, people do drop out. On my course quite a few people turned up, waited until the cut-off time for nominated pers to register and got a place.

TB
 
#20
TopBadger said:
devilish said:
Svyazist said:
devilish said:
Anyone got dates for this years courses? And is it still 2 weeks?
10th to 24th March, with 90 pax on the course and 160 reserves!
Christ on a bike! Any more further on in the new financial year?
Its oversubscribed, true, but it's well worth turning up without an invite, people do drop out. On my course quite a few people turned up, waited until the cut-off time for nominated pers to register and got a place.

TB
Sounds like a good plan. It would be a bugger to turn up and get fcuked off though.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
REMESpanker84 The Training Wing 17
M The Training Wing 7
squigeypie The NAAFI Bar 7

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top