All arms drill course

Open to ACF from the rank of SI and SSI, but age 25 is the minimum I believe, to stop sproggy new SI's from attending.

Try your Brigade RTC.

I did the course in 2006. There were ACF/CCF bods on it then. Don't think the All Arms Drill Wing set a lower/upper age limit - but doesn't mean parent units don't.

Bushnut said:
I did the course in 2006. There were ACF/CCF bods on it then. Don't think the All Arms Drill Wing set a lower/upper age limit - but doesn't mean parent units don't.
How did you find the course? how much was total bullshit (if any).

Course was hard, but good. No more bullshit than is to be expected in a Guards Depot. Top tip - have both pairs of boots bulled before you get there!

Thanks for replies, just been told that as ACF I will not now be able to attend due to the lack of a Fit to Train chit. The course apprentely is run now at catterick and recently ACF/CCF turned up but as they did not have this chit which regulars and TA have they were ALL sent home. Any ideas anyone, and yes I know I can find all this out from HQ but as its holidays that could be a long time.

Did mine in 1982 during the Falklands War, an interesting time to be at the Guards Depot. It was hard work, especially as we were obliged to play very hard in the Sgts mess. I managed to scrape a pass.

Depot RSM was charismatic in the extreme. I was terrified of him. Had the good fortune to work for the man after he was commissioned. One of the best trainers and facilitator of training I have ever known. I learned a lot.

According to legend; students on the course should try and avoid the duty of being the deceased in the funeral drill. And apparently as has been alluded to here the drinking in the Sgts Mess is something else.

duffdike said:
According to legend; students on the course should try and avoid the duty of being the deceased in the funeral drill. And apparently as has been alluded to here the drinking in the Sgts Mess is something else.
no mate you should avoid being the "greiving widow" the coffins were full of sand bags in 2002 doubt the drinking is the same now the Drill Wing has moved to catterick bet they havent even got there own mess up there

The coffin was about 18 stone and long enough to get four bearers on each side. Large bits of metal (bits of 432 track?) were used to simulate the weight of the deceased, not one of the students. Sizing of bearers was vitally important.

Came in handy when a Cpl from my coy was killed in a RTA in 1984.

hello all ,im a csm within te acf i did the short crse in 06 ,so its open to acf no age limit tho, just the discrection of CEO/adjudent in our world decides if your up to it ,great crse refreshes the spirit :)

jake1 said:
hello all ,im a csm within te acf i did the short crse in 06 ,so its open to acf no age limit tho, just the discrection of CEO/adjudent in our world decides if your up to it ,great crse refreshes the spirit :)
Was there a requirement for the Fit to train cert then? 06 a long time ago as regards requirements for htis course. It seems you need htis cert now.

A Fit to Train cert is literally having the basic TA Medical, try ringing up your local unit to see if you could have it.

Its worth a bash.

commander said:
Thanks for replies, just been told that as ACF I will not now be able to attend due to the lack of a Fit to Train chit. The course apprentely is run now at catterick and recently ACF/CCF turned up but as they did not have this chit which regulars and TA have they were ALL sent home. Any ideas anyone, and yes I know I can find all this out from HQ but as its holidays that could be a long time.

I'd imagine that's an FMED 566 - basically a quick chat with the doctor to see if anything has changed since your most recent PULHEEMS and signed off fit to attend, obviously I'm not really aware how the ACF and pulheems operate (if at all) but your local TA unit will definately have the form and could maybe arrange a medical with the crazy new medical trial system that is going on right now.

Re the Fit to Train thing, this is fairly typical of problems with the Regular:ACF interface (like the time that the new Pam 21 ignored the cadet GP rifle). On the other hand, there are lots of chinese whispers that turn out to be inaccurate.

I suggest you ask the question of CTC Frimley Park - if they don't know the answer they will find out and sort out. You can find the contact details at http://www.ctcfrimleypark.army.org.uk/

The Chief Instructor will be a good bet.

I did the course in Apr 2006 and is definitely the best course I have ever done. I believe that if you are going to be an instructor in a subject, you should do a recognised course like the AI's course at Frimley for Skill at Arms. There are far too many ACF instructors who are teaching drill incorrectly. Ex Soldiers and ex cadets who know drill just isn't enough as bad habits and lazy drill is passed on to cadets and it looks awful. I know that drill is only a small part of the training that cadets do and we're not training guardsmen but it's a foundation to all training and should be taught correctly. I also realise that it's 2 weeks out of your holiday and many of you save it for Annual Camp but non the less I would urge any fit and willing instructor to consider it.

You do have to be fit though. On the second day there is a tour of camp and if you haven't marched for a while, you probably will feel like you want to die as there is lots of very quick time and marking time too!!! After this, the only hard part of the course is getting up after the games night on the first week. There is a reason why it's called the All Arms Drinking Wing by those who know.

Room inspections and re-show's are a plenty but it's done in such a way that makes it hilariously funny and they are looking for you to be inventive in how you respond to being put on show parade for something.

It's 2 weeks of hard work but you play harder. If you cannot do drill don't even contemplate the course as you will get binned! On my course, a TA CSM got binned cos his drill was rubbish!!

Be aware, after your course, you will find yourself randomly saying things like 'Erect and Square to the front', 'I left you in this position' and 'Point's to note' in a funny loud voice.

I appear to have gone on for quite a bit and some of you will slag me for it but drill is a subject close to my heart and I hate it when cadets get taught incorrectly as it's not their fault!