All Arms Commando Course

Has anyone completed the new course all together 9 weeks just wondering how ninja it is have put in for it. Also were best to do a beat-up for it, currently not working with a unit so having to smash my own phys.

Cheers

Pay particular attention to the most important of commando challenges, naked rollmat fighting....it is a pass or fail element of the course.......

...59 Indep Cdo Sqn RE....now 24 Cdo Regt RE...run a very thorough ,professional pre-cdo course.

...put it this way, if you pass the 59 'beat-up', you will quite comfortably pass AACC, barring injury...

Agreed,from what I hear.Unfortunately I had to do mine with 29 at The Citadel.At that time the Gunners salivated on seeing a large group of Sappers for the beat up!!!

tooled-up said:
...59 Indep Cdo Sqn RE....now 24 Cdo Regt RE...run a very thorough ,professional pre-cdo course.

...put it this way, if you pass the 59 'beat-up', you will quite comfortably pass AACC, barring injury...

paleblue_1 said:
Pay particular attention to the most important of commando challenges, naked rollmat fighting....it is a pass or fail element of the course.......
You'd know how exactly have you done the AACC? Or just gobbing off? :roll:
Naked Roll mat fighting is the sole preserve of Royal, even Green Lidded pongoes daren't have a go. :D

S

Screw_The_Nut

You better be smashing some phys :twisted: .

Try 24 cdo engineers, a very good beat-up indeed. The 29 artillery lads will just beast you silly, but then again maybe thats why you applied? :omfg:

I'd opt for the Engineers beat-up. Unless things have changed, 29 always had a poor pass rate. I Could never see how they justified running a 6 week beat-up at Okehampton and then only sending 12 or so on the course, and then those that did get to Lympstone were knackered from the fragging they'd had by their own so called training team.

A good level of stamina, determination, excellent Admin and a sense of humour is the key to the AACC. You don't need to be superman, you just have to want to pass the course.

S

Screw_The_Nut

heard_it_all_before said:
I'd opt for the Engineers beat-up. Unless things have changed, 29 always had a poor pass rate. I Could never see how they justified running a 6 week beat-up at Okehampton and then only sending 12 or so on the course, and then those that did get to Lympstone were knackered from the fragging they'd had by their own so called training team.
I dont think 29 have ever been short of blokes, so they don't want too many bods passing the course, is my guess.

Screw_The_Nut said:
I dont think 29 have ever been short of blokes, so they don't want too many bods passing the course, is my guess.
Like I said, unless things have changed, you couldn't be further from the truth.

29 were always their own worst enemy. The 'Hats' were segregated from the commando trained and treated like vermin. The Gun Subs would rather deploy undermaned than take a 'Hat'.

Each to their own, I'm just offering well aimed advice in that given the choice I'd opt for the Engineers Beat Up. 29 do their thing and that's up to them, like I say things have probably changed in the last 15 years. Each to their own

tooled-up said:

I'm sorry, i thought you said "RE"...confused of Citadel Bks...

In your situation, don't bother with the beat ups unless you lack the self discipline to self-beast. We had guys turning up from 29 with their feet already in ribbons. Write to CTC and work off the basic pack they send you. Oh - and get used to wearing a skirt.

If the 24 Cdo Regt RE beat up is as hard as the one 59 Cdo Sqn RE ran you will be fit enough to pass the AACC. Their beat up PTI was on my cadre and my JCC and I have only met one other person who was fitter, my first troop staffy who was a Commonwealth rower (ex 59 as well).

oldbaldy

LE
I did my course, some time ago, with 29. Yes the 29 beat up was very hard but that meant Lympstone was a walk in the park. I believe at that time the 59 course was very similar. All the doubtful ones had been weeded out and the only ones who struggled at Lympstone were the ones who did their beat up elsewhere. (Log Regt mainly).

Keefy, you are refering to the one and only. Fcuk me, troop pt was about as much fun as terminal cancer. In Bosnia he had been bedded down about 3 days withman flu. He got up for pt on the 4th day and banged out a 7.30 min BFT and he ran the last 200m backwards encouraging the other whippets!

He did have some stange ideas though. Like trying to use the water spray bar on the TV1200 to spread a bitumen tack coat at Kabul APOD! Or b0llocking the Ardvarck operator for missing a bit, namely the piece or ground he was standing on. Or kicking the piece of UXO I dug up. Or getting one of our fitters to nick a Russian roller. His hand signals were hilarious, he just did his own thing and then b0llocked you for not understanding! He finally left a couple of years ago as a WO1.

oldbaldy

LE
.....29 were always their own worst enemy. The 'Hats' were segregated from the commando trained and treated like vermin. The Gun Subs would rather deploy undermaned than take a 'Hat'.....
As a non gunner with 29 I know my job was made a lot easier by wearing the same coloured lid. Yes non trained were treated with a bit of disdain & I suppose I am guilty of that as well I used to give my two superiors a hard time as they were both 'hats'!! :D

dinky123uk said:
Has anyone completed the new course all together 9 weeks just wondering how ninja it is have put in for it. Also were best to do a beat-up for it, currently not working with a unit so having to smash my own phys.

Cheers
Listen buddy, physical strength and fitness is only as good as the strength of mind that makes you push the boundaries of your bodies limits.

Beat up or no beat up, a good level of stamina/endurance, reasonable upper body fitness and a strong mind will get you through.

Being prepared isn't just about phys.

Personal admin is a big part of the course, many people turn up totally unprepared and are an admin vortex. As high a percentage of people fail because of an inability to carry out simple, and often basic and routine personal admin tasks as do for failing physical tests.

The phys is hard enough as it is without 'volunteering' to go on the flank because you can't wash, shave, eat, clean and maintain your kit and clean a personal weapon ready for a field inspection.

Brush up on your map reading skills, things like map to ground appreciation, locating features that are on the ground to your front on a map, intersection and re-section, relief, basic route cards, bearing and pacing. All the navigation is done on your own carrying fighting order and mostly at night. Woodbury Common is full of Babies-Heads so you don't want to be getting lost and snapping your ankle.

If you're going to do phys in boots as part of your training do all your running on grass, this will save you getting any stress injuries. Most of the speed work (heart and lungs) that you'll do on the course will be on the 'Bottom Field', you'll soon learn to cry at the thought of the 3 hour session that you do nearly every morning during the first phase of the course.

The road stuff is nearly all speed marches (fighting-order at 10 minute mile pace) and load carry's (at 20 minute mile pace), but they are usually faster than that, but never question it or you'll end up doing it again.

The Booties don't like you weighting your kit down with weights, it usually always has to be kit. But don't worry, as other than on the bottom field (21lb plus rifle) they very rarely weigh your bergan as they know that you're well over the prescribed weight anyway.

I'd recommend

Over hand Heaves
Rope climbing (scissor method)
Push ups (tidy ones with you hands directly below your shoulders and elbows tucked in are what they want, and not chin-dips).
Bit of distance work to build up stamina
Hill sprints to push the heart and lungs

Later on introduce some short phys wearing your webbing so that you can get used to it. But I wouldn't kick the arrse out of it, nor do to much with a bergan. You can't condition you brain to accept the pain that you get in your back and shoulders from carrying a monster bergan, you just have to take it every time that you do it, so don't bother trying to get used to it or you'll just knacker yourself.

Remember, it's a long course and not a 3 week burst. In camp you'll get 4 meals a day, eat them, you'll need ever ounce of energy that your body can absorb. The aim is to pass it the first time, and not be branded as a 'Catalogue Commando' cause you done it in stages. As the female RLC Captain did, 4 stages I think she had, with an independant adjudicator checking all the times and weights.. Just not cricket really,

And if they still have it, at all costs you must avoid the; 'Frame of Pain'..... :(

Basically, 59 and 29 use the 'beat-up' to weed out all the dross, so that the candidates that are then allocated a place on AACC are the ones that they would be happy to pass and have as Cdo trained members within their units.

Of course this isn't the official line, but is what happens in reality.

I was on the Central Training Team when the 'beat-up' was centralized at Seaton Bks, in the mid eighties ,as part of the 59 contingent, and there was uproar as it was seen as a watered down version, so each unit then ran a 'pre-beat-up' to get their 'pound of flesh', the culture being, well I got beasted, so these f-uckers are going to get beasted too.