ALL ARMS COMMANDO COURSE

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by dontbebeef, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys,

I'm after some advice from people in the know.

I have a place on AACC next year and have started to up my training in preparation for the course. Unfortunatly I dont have access to the conditioning courses that some army units run in house (RA,RE,etc) prior to there guys starting on Pre AACC.

As a singleton going on course I am completely responsible for my training and with a lack of commando trained personnel where i am (inc PTI's) I am struggling to focus my training in the right direction.

My weekly training currently consists of-
    2 or 3 Five mile runs. 40 mins max effort/ 45-50 mins fartlek
    4 gym sessions. Each concentrating on major muscle groups.
    2 one hour circuit training sessions.
    1 or 2 swimming sessions.

At the end of the month a 1.5 mile best effort run to assess progress (currently 10 mins)

At present I have not trained with any weight or with boots, but will gradually introduce this to my training.

I have searched all related posts to this subject but no such luck.

If there is anybody who has recently completed the course, especially as a singleton i would really appreciate any training tips and to hear what you did to get fit.

Thanks in advance,

DBB

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Your not doing nearly enough endurance work. 5 miles is not nearly far enough & forget 1.5 miles as a judge of progression.
    Remember you are going to have to run 9 miles in 90 with full kit & complete 30 miles in 8 hours. So start running with a bergen.
    http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5380

3. just remember throughout training they are there to train you,

but yes more endurance work is required as pointed out by old baldy, also make sure you have a sense of humour installed.

give it your best effort then add a bit more, physical pain will subside eventually just get your brain round the fact that your body can go on a lot longer than you think.
    good luck

4. Thanks. Completely appreciate what your saying, however I aim to gradually increase distance/ weight at a sensible rate, rather than busting myself up before i've even started. And I am aware of the tests, however the initial tests at the beggining of course involve a 1.5 mile squaded run followed by a best effort 1.5 mile run, so if i can get that down below 10 mins it cant be a bad thing?

With reagrds to running in boots with weight there seems to be a mixed feeling on this having looked at some other posts, with a lot of people saying its not such a good idea.

I really dont want to bring on an injury by over training too early.

5. You need to consider wearing a bergen now,for all training that you do.

6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Your going to have to run in boots on the course, those talking about the pros & cons of boots are referring to recruits. When you start your beat up (sorry, showing my age) you will be in boots from day one, if your feet aren't up to it, RTU for you.
    By the sound of it you are a long way short of the minimum. When I was doing my own preparation I used to run the 8 miles to work.
    And as canteen cowboy says keep you sense of humour ( Was that a smile, give me 20. Why aren't you smiling, give me 20. Get the drift?)

7. A book I used a few years ago, which was aimed at the commando fitness was The Royal Marines Total Fitness, by Robin Eggar. It was a good course, well structured (I thought), and got me from fat b*stard to doing respectable BFT & CFT times in a few months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0091776996/?tag=armrumser-21

8. Did you pass an AACC after it?

9. *dons p - helmet prior to comment*

Remember lads, a yomp is a tab at half the pace and distance!

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Just remember Jack, I can swim further than you can fly :wink:

11. 30 miles in 8 hours! Fryer Tuck me, that must be a real buster. How flat is Dartmoor?

12. I'll have you know I can swim as well as a cat in a sack!

13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

[​IMG]

As the saying goes, if you have to ask..................................

14. Beef...dont suppose u got next yrs cse dates!!??

15. Next is 29 Oct - 21 Dec (AACC 3/07)

First one in 2008 is 28 Feb - 21 Mar 08 (AACC 4/07), if that's any good to you.