ALL ARMS COMMANDO COURSE

Guys,

I'm after some advice from people in the know.

I have a place on AACC next year and have started to up my training in preparation for the course. Unfortunatly I dont have access to the conditioning courses that some army units run in house (RA,RE,etc) prior to there guys starting on Pre AACC.

As a singleton going on course I am completely responsible for my training and with a lack of commando trained personnel where i am (inc PTI's) I am struggling to focus my training in the right direction.

My weekly training currently consists of-
2 or 3 Five mile runs. 40 mins max effort/ 45-50 mins fartlek
4 gym sessions. Each concentrating on major muscle groups.
2 one hour circuit training sessions.
1 or 2 swimming sessions.

At the end of the month a 1.5 mile best effort run to assess progress (currently 10 mins)

At present I have not trained with any weight or with boots, but will gradually introduce this to my training.

I have searched all related posts to this subject but no such luck.

If there is anybody who has recently completed the course, especially as a singleton i would really appreciate any training tips and to hear what you did to get fit.

Thanks in advance,

DBB

oldbaldy

LE
Your not doing nearly enough endurance work. 5 miles is not nearly far enough & forget 1.5 miles as a judge of progression.
Remember you are going to have to run 9 miles in 90 with full kit & complete 30 miles in 8 hours. So start running with a bergen.
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5380

just remember throughout training they are there to train you,

but yes more endurance work is required as pointed out by old baldy, also make sure you have a sense of humour installed.

give it your best effort then add a bit more, physical pain will subside eventually just get your brain round the fact that your body can go on a lot longer than you think.
good luck

oldbaldy said:
Your not doing nearly enough endurance work. 5 miles is not nearly far enough & forget 1.5 miles as a judge of progression.
Remember you are going to have to run 9 miles in 90 with full kit & complete 30 miles in 8 hours. So start running with a bergen.
Thanks. Completely appreciate what your saying, however I aim to gradually increase distance/ weight at a sensible rate, rather than busting myself up before i've even started. And I am aware of the tests, however the initial tests at the beggining of course involve a 1.5 mile squaded run followed by a best effort 1.5 mile run, so if i can get that down below 10 mins it cant be a bad thing?

With reagrds to running in boots with weight there seems to be a mixed feeling on this having looked at some other posts, with a lot of people saying its not such a good idea.

I really dont want to bring on an injury by over training too early.

oldbaldy

LE
dontbebeef said:
oldbaldy said:
Thanks. Completely appreciate what your saying, however I aim to gradually increase distance/ weight at a sensible rate, rather than busting myself up before i've even started. And I am aware of the tests, however the initial tests at the beggining of course involve a 1.5 mile squaded run followed by a best effort 1.5 mile run, so if i can get that down below 10 mins it cant be a bad thing?

With reagrds to running in boots with weight there seems to be a mixed feeling on this having looked at some other posts, with a lot of people saying its not such a good idea.

I really dont want to bring on an injury by over training too early.
Your going to have to run in boots on the course, those talking about the pros & cons of boots are referring to recruits. When you start your beat up (sorry, showing my age) you will be in boots from day one, if your feet aren't up to it, RTU for you.
By the sound of it you are a long way short of the minimum. When I was doing my own preparation I used to run the 8 miles to work.
And as canteen cowboy says keep you sense of humour ( Was that a smile, give me 20. Why aren't you smiling, give me 20. Get the drift?)

A book I used a few years ago, which was aimed at the commando fitness was The Royal Marines Total Fitness, by Robin Eggar. It was a good course, well structured (I thought), and got me from fat b*stard to doing respectable BFT & CFT times in a few months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0091776996/?tag=armrumser-21

oldbaldy

LE
jack-daniels said:
*dons p - helmet prior to comment*

Remember lads, a yomp is a tab at half the pace and distance!
Just remember Jack, I can swim further than you can fly :wink:

oldbaldy

LE
stu_TAtech said:
30 miles in 8 hours! Fryer Tuck me, that must be a real buster. How flat is Dartmoor?

As the saying goes, if you have to ask..................................

Next is 29 Oct - 21 Dec (AACC 3/07)

First one in 2008 is 28 Feb - 21 Mar 08 (AACC 4/07), if that's any good to you.

you should be hitting at least 5 miles in under 40 mins with 35lb kit, as a 40 year old that was my bencemark..just about double that i.e 9 miles in 90 minutes with the same kit and you might just pass one of the tests...as flamingo says, the bootie book is a good way to judge yourself and it has tests at different stages which are a very accurate guide to the standard that you should be hitting/aiming for.

Over training?...if you mean don't train when you're mentally unprepared i agree, this will cause you to subconciously 'will' yourself an injury - bottom line is to train your mind as much as your body..you have to get in the 'zone' and keep pushing yourself every time you do train. All people saw of me when training was a sweating snarling bar steward, who ran with grinding teeth and almost hatred like aggression.....all i can add is that it worked for me..a 3 mile run in no kit ,under 20 minutes is light training!! so 1.5 under 10 mins is ok for girls but imagine doing that pace for for 90 minutes ......good luck.

T

the_mentalist

Train hard, fight easy my friend!

You are the best judge of your progress. Training on your own is not easy, but if you can walk away from a session with your hand on your heart and say "I bust my arrse and couldn't give anymore" you are on track. However, if you know you jacked on a session, then you need to ask yourself, is the Booty course really for me?

Good luck my mate!

While it is very important that you start the course in a very fit condition you will be expected to show improvement so don't peak too early.

While building up to the AACC don't forget to spend lots of time honing your infantry skills, all of the basic stuff should be absolutely second nature on arrival.

I don't know your background so may be asking that you go suck some eggs but from experience a lot of non-inf types go on the course thinking it is all about tabbing and get a real shock when sent home for crap drills and lack of inf tactical awareness.

You should maybe approach it as a thinking mans P Coy. No offence to all the Paras here but that tends to be the general consensus from those that have done both.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Gunners 54
booboo Infantry 17
B Health and Fitness 4