Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Arms Commando Course

SAJ27

Swinger
I can't seem to get a straight answer from any rank from the RN as to my question, when I complete the AACC will I have an option of going Marines or will I remain in the RN as a RN Commando? Does this AACC passing allow me to join the Corp?

I am Supply Chain in the RN but would like to do my role in the RM. I know the RN and RM work hand in hand and with the RM now going to be based on the RN vessels permanently I presume the RM wont need Supply Chain that much. I hoping they will.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
I can't seem to get a straight answer from any rank from the RN as to my question, when I complete the AACC will I have an option of going Marines or will I remain in the RN as a RN Commando? Does this AACC passing allow me to join the Corp?

I am Supply Chain in the RN but would like to do my role in the RM. I know the RN and RM work hand in hand and with the RM now going to be based on the RN vessels permanently I presume the RM wont need Supply Chain that much. I hoping they will.

Paging @alfred_the_great and @Ravers

Last edited:

I think it depends on the RM hierachy. I have known of an RGJ SNCO in the past, passing AACC and transfering to RM, but when a Cheshire Regt Cpl applied he was told that he would have to do the full 32 week RM recruit course so he declined.

Most RN that I have heard of, going over to the RM have done the full RM recruit course, so I think that you would remain as an RN Commando.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
I think it depends on the RM hierachy. I have known of an RGJ SNCO in the past, passing AACC and transfering to RM, but when a Cheshire Regt Cpl applied he was told that he would have to do the full 32 week RM recruit course so he declined.

Most RN that I have heard of, going over to the RM have done the full RM recruit course, so I think that you would remain as an RN Commando.

RGJ and Cheshire Regt. How very current.

If you don’t have any joy here you could try posting the question on :

or

Best of luck with it.

RN Commando? I thought they'd junked them after WW2 apart from a few Radio Ops. Transfer to RM. :cool:

I think they have been going for decades. RN Doctors and medics in the Med Sqn in CLR and attached to RM Cdo's. Comms Ops as part of 148 Bty RA FST. Schoolies and Pardes to name a few.
That's interesting, though I would think Medics and padres a good idea, but do they wear RN uniform? Last one I saw, admittedly 1961, was in khaki with Royal Navy Commando shoulder flashes and Radio Op badge. :cool:

That's interesting, though I would think Medics and padres a good idea, but do they wear RN uniform? Last one I saw, admittedly 1961, was in khaki with Royal Navy Commando shoulder flashes and Radio Op badge. :cool:

All the ones I saw in the 80s wore dpm, or Lovat barrack dress, and their normal RN uniform for parades.

The_Duke

LE
There is your clue. The point being there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules as far as precedence is concerned, so he is best to connect the RM direct.
So the answer is you don’t know, so don’t guess.

The rules are simple - if your answer isn’t accurate, relevant and helpful to the applicant it doesn’t belong in the recruiting thread.

The thing with AACC is that it doesn’t make one a Royal Marine, but gives one the background neccessary to support them effectively within 3Cdo Bde. You are right in saying the poster would remain as an RN Commando.

SAJ27

Swinger
Yes there are RN Commandos about, I actively see them around on base and they wear the Navy uniform with a Royal Navy Commando badge and Green beret. I was presuming that the AACC is not enough to switch over but I have enquired on royalmarines.uk to see.

If you want to be a bootnecks, you'll do the full course at CTC.

wafubustard

War Hero
Yes there are RN commandos around. Whether you will get to go on an AACC is another matter.
Would the RN have any reason for you doing the course?
As the RM have their own loggies doing their version of what RN loggies do will they need to train you up for it.
@northern-matelot did you ever see any green lids on RN loggies when you worked with the RM.

I have seen many different trades wearing the RN commando flash, most of them having been in a position that will require them to be closer to the enemy than most of the RN.
By that I mean wafus on CHF, divers, comms types on gunfire support units, medics and others who were RM before transferring to the RN.

If there is a need for a commando trained loggie put your name down but be prepared for a long wait as there may be others who are needed more.

My understanding is there are few RM trades that are now RN managed - MA and AcMn spring to mind. I suspect SA will be much the same.

SAJ27

Swinger
I am aware I'm sure there will be a long waiting list for my profession. I'll need to look into the path of going to start as a recruit and the benefits. I've seen the changes to, the RN is taking on many different tasks and I'm hoping the SC is one of them.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
I just clocked that your stated age is 34. Are you aware that Royal Marine recruit training must commence before your 33rd birthday?

SAJ27

Swinger
I just clocked that your stated age is 34. Are you aware that Royal Marine recruit training must commence before your 33rd birthday?
No, well then that's out. I'll continue in my adventure in the RN and if the AACC works out then so be it, if not I tried and no lack of trying init.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
In all seriousness why not get eyes on the updated UKSF DIN on MODNET, note SFTC and the changes to the initial pathway & age criteria. You may find that energy and motivation can be channeled elsewhere.

Best of luck.

SAJ27

Swinger
That's a great shout. I'll have a look into it. Most probably be a better option as I can vaguely remember a brief from the SF a while back. I'm always been interested in the RM but maybe the SF are a better option.

Latest Threads