All Arms Commando Course

Essentially you can get “pinged” for a trade. You remain in that SQ for two years. After that you go top of the waiting list for your desired SQ. As you can imagine the popular SQs such as Sniper, Assualt Engineer, SF Comms, to name a few are hard to come by and waiting lists can be high.
You may fail a aquiant (briefing course) or get pinged before you can get on the course you want, the pings include:
Signals
Driver
Stores
Clerks
Which means your tied to that SQ for 2yrs. It is feasible that a lad could return to his unit after a spell in SFSG, MLs or PFPL and be pinged as a driver. Hence why some SFSG or PF lads transfer over to Para.
Is PF joint now?

Do Royal Marines have their own medics? I thought that they were provided by the RN like the Doctors/Surgeon Commanders? The USMC used to have Hospital Corpman from the USN as their medics. I don't know if this still happens.

Would the booties and rocks wear maroon lids with respective cap badges?

arcticfox042

War Hero
I look on the All Arms the same way I look on an Open University Degree....................

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Do Royal Marines have their own medics? I thought that they were provided by the RN like the Doctors/Surgeon Commanders? The USMC used to have Hospital Corpman from the USN as their medics. I don't know if this still happens.
They have their equivalent to RCMTS know as RM MA’s. They also have Navy MA’s attached.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
The MA branch is also open to Royal Marines who are designated as Royal Marines Medical Assistants. They join baby medics at litchfield and complete the class 2 course then go back for the class 1. CMT level

SAJ27

Crow
I'm an SC (supply chain) in the Royal Navy, If I do the AACC and transfer over to the RM do I still remain as SC, the RM equivalent called SA (stores accountant)? or do I get trained in a new role at a later stage?

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
You still get called Jack Dusty

sittingstress

Old-Salt
I'm an SC (supply chain) in the Royal Navy, If I do the AACC and transfer over to the RM do I still remain as SC, the RM equivalent called SA (stores accountant)? or do I get trained in a new role at a later stage?
Yes you do keep your SC qualification as Royal has the same one. However, you will need to upgrade a tad on your phys and there is a bit of a course to go through but you should be ok. Whatever happens make sure you do not accept the SA in exchange for your SC. Just run around a bit, do some swimming and paddling and they will just swop the qual straight over.

Oh yes they will! :)

AIUI Royal wanted EVERY Rifleman to do the Commando course, regardless of whether you'd done CIC, SCBC or been on Ops, so that the blokes could do things the Booty way

I gather they response was along the lines of "No". ..
The Bn was keen and certainly wanted everyone through the Commando tests and special to role training packages. CTCRM was supportive but had big problems with capacity so, there was a plan involving a CTCRM training team and doing the essential bits (ie not infantry skills, basher building etc) on a shorter course from Chepstow, cue emotional lobbying about the ‘brotherhood of Woodbury Common’ from some senior Army officers with a 3 Cdo Bde background, in the end it all got kicked into touch, possibly the writing was on the wall with regards to the longevity of the role and in any case the Bn plot was rammed and there was only a couple of windows to get it done. Once the moment passed, things like HERRICK got the priority.

Last edited:

SAJ27

Crow
Yes you do keep your SC qualification as Royal has the same one. However, you will need to upgrade a tad on your phys and there is a bit of a course to go through but you should be ok. Whatever happens make sure you do not accept the SA in exchange for your SC. Just run around a bit, do some swimming and paddling and they will just swop the qual straight over.

Oh yes they will! :)
What do you mean Dont except the SA. I do know that us as a Jack Dusty (yes PONTI) we are more of an overall of the forces as we are trained on Army, RAF and Navy systems. I have heard that the SC course is one of the better (dont quote me on it, just word of mouth) of the Army, RAF and RM, is this possibly the reason not to take on the SA?

I have heard I have options of joining the RM or continuing in the RN as a Royal Navy Commando and supporting the RM on their base(s) or deployments. Any further input and advice?

sittingstress

Old-Salt
What do you mean Dont except the SA. I do know that us as a Jack Dusty (yes PONTI) we are more of an overall of the forces as we are trained on Army, RAF and Navy systems. I have heard that the SC course is one of the better (dont quote me on it, just word of mouth) of the Army, RAF and RM, is this possibly the reason not to take on the SA?

I have heard I have options of joining the RM or continuing in the RN as a Royal Navy Commando and supporting the RM on their base(s) or deployments. Any further input and advice?
SC is where it is at. It is a much better qual to have but it comes at the price of a bit of leaping about, swimming and paddling about. Any bootie will tell you they would much rather be an SC than an SA. I think it would be best if you asked one of the green lidded types about being an SC. They will have much more up to date gen than me.

The_Duke

LE
SC is where it is at. It is a much better qual to have but it comes at the price of a bit of leaping about, swimming and paddling about. Any bootie will tell you they would much rather be an SC than an SA.
Is this post accurate, up to date and helpful to the person asking the question?

Comedy attempts to the NAAFI, tall tales to “Old and bold”.

SAJ27

Crow
SC is where it is at. It is a much better qual to have but it comes at the price of a bit of leaping about, swimming and paddling about. Any bootie will tell you they would much rather be an SC than an SA. I think it would be best if you asked one of the green lidded types about being an SC. They will have much more up to date gen than me.
Thanks for the heads up I'll keep that in mind. I'll start getting there ball rolling and see the next available slot.

Is this post accurate, up to date and helpful to the person asking the question?

A mildly "comedic" attempt, with a pun on RN SC = supply chain, and RM SC = Swimmer Canoeist (i.e. SBS).

It had me rolling in the aisles it did.

sittingstress

Old-Salt

Please accept my apologies, I rarely post and totally forgot in which I thread I was typing. I note some one has deleted my tour de force post which subtly inserted the words "strength" and "guile".

I will take greater heed of my virtual surroundings and post accordingly, once again my apologies to SAJ27.

However, you have to agree it was a pretty good wind up at a currently serving Jolly Jack :)

There's a school of thought that going straight on to an arduous course from Phase 2 is better than not, as you'll still have the phys and a training head on, and not lapsed in to a Herfy-swilling, stag-dodging, whore monster.
Certainly in the gunners if you express an interest in joining 29 or 7 RHA during Phase 2 you do extra phys as the Phase 1 phys is not sufficient. You are then posted straight to those regiments when you finish Phase 2 to start beat up.

Latest Threads