all arms commando course

Hi,
Ive searched up and low for detailed information about the commando course but to no avail.i thought this forum will be best to get this info because some of you have done it.actually im interested in the above course,so can someone please shed some light on what actually happens on the course before the commando test(build up phase).thanks in advance

thanks for the replies.i tried all those websites but the only info i got from there is about the test week. i want to know
what happens before the test week, so come on commandos,post something.cheers

stormtrooper said:
What the hell do you want to waste ya time doing a cdo course when you can better yaself tenfold n do P Company!
Glorified infantry :roll:

When was the last time they did an operational jump?

Oh I remember! The Suez Criris

Recce19 said:
stormtrooper said:
What the hell do you want to waste ya time doing a cdo course when you can better yaself tenfold n do P Company!
Glorified infantry :roll:

When was the last time they did an operational jump?

Oh I remember! The Suez Criris
A bit "old hat" to coin a phrase, and dosn't answer deuce4stryker's question ref Cdo beat up.

Best place to look is in some recent DIN's

From memory (those who have done the Course more recently, please correct):

The Course is an 8 week affair that sees you on Exercise every week - most instruction is done in the field. There is an entrance criteria, press ups, sit ups, swim test, rope climb. The first three weeks see candidates spend alot of time on the bottom field assault course, this culminates in "passing off" the field with a series of tests - assault course sub 4 minutes, rope climb, fireman's carry and regain all with 22lb + wpn. When not on the course the rest of the first few weeks are spent learning field skills and basic infantry tactics; there are forced marches onto Ex carrying full kit. On Ex there are full kit inspections every morning, if you fail (likely), you get thrashed. After the first text Ex, they are all tactical, where candidates practice patrolling, orders etc.. This all culminates in a week long finalk Ex on sunny Dartmoor. After final Ex, test week begins. You do the Endurance Course (2 mile assault course and 4 mile run + shoot) on the saturday. Nine miler is on monday (22lb +wpn, in 90 mins), Tarzan assault on tuesday and the 30 miler on the wednesday. Hope this is of help.

Thanks very much Humpy.i take it that the longest run you will have to do is the 4mile, as the 9 and 30 miler is a march.please correct me if im wrong.which part of the body would you advice to be in good shape(upper or lower)?thanks

deuce

Whilst we are on the subject, what is the usual pass rate for AACC? What are the main obstacles to completing the course? Cheers.

lineinf said:
Whilst we are on the subject, what is the usual pass rate for AACC? What are the main obstacles to completing the course? Cheers.
At present between about one third and a half of those who start AACC pass first time, about 2/3 of those joining 29 Cdo Regt RA pass at one of their 3 attempts, leaving 1/3 posted out to their shadow regiment elsewhere in the Gunners.

By the way, don't be fooled into thinking a 'march' is easy (a previous post). They're all done at 6 miles an hour pace, with 24lbs in webbing + rifle and the routes around Lympstone are hilly indeed! So its not flat out but plenty fail them... Although you start with the 4 miler you basically increase one mile a week, so theres plenty of build up to the 9 miler.

But the Pre Commando Course run by 29 is designed to train anyone with average fitness up to the levels required for the course. In my experience anyone who tells me they are going to try the course 'when I've had a chance to train up for it' is generally a walter. All that 29 ask is that you turn up fit enough to get greens on an APFA, although any rope work and over-hand heaves that you are able to do on arrival are a definite bonus. Its a top way to lose weight too - I lost a stone in the first 2 weeks of AACC!

Obstacles to passing the course are 1. injury, 2. lack of determination (hattishness), 3. poor soldiering skills 4. failing to volunteer for commando service in the first place :lol: .

Hope this helps

Its a top way to lose weight too - I lost a stone in the first 2 weeks of AACC!
Was that just AACC or part of a calorie controlled diet i.e just leaving the close proximity of Belly Busters and the Khanas Stan? :oops:

Harry_Webster said:
Its a top way to lose weight too - I lost a stone in the first 2 weeks of AACC!
Was that just AACC or part of a calorie controlled diet i.e just leaving the close proximity of Belly Busters and the Khanas Stan? :oops:
Obviously that helped - and getting away from 'Ali Baba's 40 dishes' and 'Captain Jaspers' too of course :wink:

Just to say, people always go on about the airborne not jumping in, when was the last time the commandos carried out a commando raid as a pose to just an amphibious landing. It was Korea was it not?

307 said:
Just to say, people always go on about the airborne not jumping in, when was the last time the commandos carried out a commando raid as a pose to just an amphibious landing.
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/Mountain-Arctic-Warfare-Cadre.htm

Eventually orders were received for probing attacks to be conducted on likely enemy positions surrounding the town of Abu Al Khasib. The BRE was given the opportunity to carry out the first live direct action task since the M&AW Cadre’s attack on Top Malo house. Recce Troop 40 Cdo RM supported the raid and indirect fire support was provided by 29 Cdo RA and Mortar Troop 40 Cdo RM. The raid was a great success and an indicator of things to come. The BRF was given a new name ‘Brigade Raiding Force’. In separate actions, 611 and 612 TACPs were busy engaging targets to the north and west respectively.
Spend less in Silverman's and more at Waterstone's you retard!