All Arms Commando Course - 1 Rifles

Just looking for info on the aacc from lads who have done it and in particular any blokes from 1 rifles who have done it. I'm hoping to get a transfer to 1 rifles and interested in getting on the course after the up coming Herrick tour in April.

Any info will be good, cheers.

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
From what i heard it didnt go to well for them when they first put blokes on the course. They put about a coys worth on it and only a handful passed.

It's changed since then - they've got a decent set of ropes to square away the bottom field stuff, and up until the point I was med RTU'd the Rifles lads (and the RE) were leading in every serial.

That said, not a single one of them was a burning volunteer for the course, and they weren't going to wear the beret, shoulder flashes or dagger on their uniform. They were the on-call amphib unit, having completed the amphib work-up, and a lot of them were a little underwhelmed by Commando Course. Don't be surprised therefore if 1 Rifles think you've get better things to do with your time.

Indeed, most of the lads would've preferred to have done P Coy, but that may've been the dozen or so I was with.

OK thanks for the info. The PT at 1 Rifles is pretty good anyway so looking to get over there asap.

if it was underwelming alfred why didnt you go back and finish,you know you can do the all arms p coy as a volunteer or join direct,just wondering why you and your friends didnt join the paras instead of the rifles.

Plums - I'm not RIFLES, indeed I'm not Army. Commando Course teaches people like me, sailors, how to work alongside the Corps. As such, it is very noddy, basic field admin stuff, with some section level tactics, although obviously with some "commando" stuff alongside it. For trained soldiers, there is really very little difference between Commando Course and Phase 1 training - despite howls of protest from Green lidded personnel, they teach to the same pamphlets and have the same requirements, although with an overlaid "Commando Ethos" [1]. It is for this reason the majority of the Rifles lads were underwhelmed - they'd all done at least 1 tour of Afg, and had completed the same Amphib work-up completed by 40, 42 and 45 Cdo when they act as the "on-call" Commando unit.

As for AAPPS (or a re-run at AACC), as ever, time conspires against me: my desk officer thinks I have better things to do than get dressed in green and do phys......

[1] Commando Ethos - people.exeter.ac.uk/acking/Papers/RMethos4.doc

edit to add hyperlink

Are the rifles keen to get guys on courses such as p-company/AACC? Or is it a bit of a struggle to get on one?

I'm not in the rifles...yet. Just wondering!

Nah not really mate, i've got mates at 1 rifles and they haven't done it. And my unit is too busy putting bods on courses that are actually going to help for the upcoming tour.

you know you can do the all arms p coy as a volunteer or join direct,just wondering why you and your friends didnt join the paras instead of the rifles.
Because they wanted to be Rifles maybe. Paras are justly pleased with themselves but there's no monopoly on pride.

The attitude amongst the RIFLES guys on my course, Officer and Rfn, was that they'd do it if they got round to it.

It's a thing recruits always go on about "I want to go 1 Rifles so I can do commando course" If you want to do commando course that much then join the marines. What you will find is when you rock up to btn you'll be doing courses that are more important to get you skilled up for ops. Medic, Sigs, Cat C etc etc.

So does that mean that the Rifles are no longer actively pursuing the Commando course but quite happy to provide additional troops to 3 Cdo Bde RM?

So does that mean that the Rifles are no longer actively pursuing the Commando course but quite happy to provide additional troops to 3 Cdo Bde RM?
The QMSI at 1 Rifles is a friend of mine. He said the Rifles blokes were more licked out that the commando course pretty much goes back to soldiering basics which I'm sure the Rifles don't need or require. He also said at present they have a very good pass rate. As for Rifles bods doing P Coy, they'd only be allocated a place if they were considering doing a stint with SFSG.

I think there's been a bit of attitudinal shift in 3 Cdo Bde with respect to the RIFLES forming part of the OrBat. Their sustained operations on various HERRICKs has removed some of the institutional snobbery about Percy, and the fact they've completed an Amphib Work-up, run entirely by Bde, has only helped this. There was an article in the BAR (and also strongly voiced by the lads on my course) that actually, all they needed to do was the bottom field pass out and Commando Tests, as they did when the Commando's were originally raised....

The QMSI at 1 Rifles is a friend of mine. He said the Rifles blokes were more licked out that the commando course pretty much goes back to soldiering basics which I'm sure the Rifles don't need or require. He also said at present they have a very good pass rate. As for Rifles bods doing P Coy, they'd only be allocated a place if they were considering doing a stint with SFSG.
I didn't realise the rifles could go SFSG, is that service?

i did my commando course in 1965,went through with a junior squad of marines my parent corps was the royal artillery,idid most of my time with 148.everybody has to do basic infantry training even the sas,they still do basic for non infantry types.it would be real easy to say well im infantry same as the paras let me do the jumps course or just let me do the commando tests, or the p coy tests,thats not the point the idea is to do the tests at the end of the course when you have been messed around for 11 weeks.i had the benefit of doing a beat up in plymouth for 6 weeks which was all physical and helped a great deal.the real work comes in continuation training.i have known every capbadge fail both pcoy and aacc some people find them easy the majority find them hard very hard.our unit does some strange things but their method of controling artillery is no different than the regular artillery or for that matter fac that regular infantry do but the point is if you want to do it with the paras or the marines you have to do their courses.so come on lads if they are both easy why would you want to take short cuts.btw when i did my jumps course the sas lads said what a load of nonsense just put the parachute on my back and let me jump,they were told either do the course like everyone else or leave.they stayed.maybe any ccf who joined the rifles or any infantry should be spared itc.the secret to being a good soldier is repetition wether you like it or not.i fought in four conflicts,one as a private contractor and three in the regular army and guess what when they were over it was back to the drawing board,you adapt different sops for every conflict but some procedures stay the same and both have to be practised for the benefit of the new guy and more importantly for the old guy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Gunners 54
booboo Infantry 17
B Health and Fitness 4