All Arms Bergan

Vasco

War Hero
Adjutant said:
Can we please, please, please learn how to spell?

Its Bergen. B E R G E N. After a town in Norway..... (its a long story).

Bergen. Not BergAn. That would be the wrong spelling....

Nuggets...
Humph, harrumph,

On the back of my first rucksack, bought for my first go at youth hostelling something over 40 years ago, is a label with the legend

BERGANS ORIGINAL
Made in Oslo

It has an external steel tubular frame and is made in grey canvas with leather straps and binding. Some of you other old blighters must remember the ancient 'commando' rucksack of WW2 vintage - I think that was modelled on the 'Bergan' of an earlier age - mine is a transitional model, half way between that basically triangular design and the more modern rectangular climbing sac shape. It's very similar to the 'Brown Best' type that used to be popular long ago.

Presumably Mr Bergan was the Norgie that designed and made the rucksack. They were generally regarded as a very superior type of rucksack when I were a lad and I have no doubt that the tradename is where we get the word 'bergan' meaning a rucksack from.

The “Turtleback or Engineers Bergen serves a really good purpose. Throw stuff in it, shut it down and throw it in the truck. It’s not for ops, patrols, hikes, expeditions (which many on here are suggesting) and to comparing it to a Bergen used for Infantry is pointless as the uses and tasks are completely different.
I still use mine for weekends when out in the car. Agree that I would not use it for overland. Makes a really good cabin bag for a flight!

Last edited:

Boxy

GCM
15 years...
It’s just a pity that they’re we’re withdrawn, by pity I mean TF they were.

Good for stowing on vehicles crap for dismounted stuff

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The “Turtleback or Engineers Bergen serves a really good purpose. Throw stuff in it, shut it down and throw it in the truck. It’s not for ops, patrols, hikes, expeditions (which many on here are suggesting) and to comparing it to a Ops Bergen is pointless as the tasks are completely different.
I would use one all day long .....
Well done Trigger. 15 years to late :p

morsk

LE
Necropost aside, I haven't seen one of these for nearly two decades.

How the F were you supposed to do up the zip without putting your doss bag in a compression pack, and they looked retarded with side pouches and roll mat attached.

Consigned to the dustbin of history, and for good reason.

Latest Threads