All Arms Bergan

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Nov 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why does no-one like these smaller bergans? I think there great. Don't want the big fcuk off infantry bergan, as on ex, even in winter, I never even half fill it!

Do they call this the All arms handbag?

2. It is known as the All-Arms Handbag as that is what it is best suited for (you may gather that I prefer the Inf Bergan)!

It's designed for those guys/gals who don't have to do long distances on foot and have to stow their bergans away in limited space in vehicles - to meet that basic requirement it does pretty well.

That said, I find it a pain in the arse - it doesn't hold all the kit I want it to and I dislike having to strap kit on to the outside of bergans.

Still, if it works for you, no problem.

3. Wow someone who actaully likes the Handbag!

I prefer the inf bergen but I suppose the handbag does have a role if you have a smaller amount of kit but I can always fill the inf bergen, god knows how you get all your kit into the handbag :)

4. Picture?

5. [​IMG]
    -less the side pockets and a few straps top and bottom.

IIRC. Is ok, but tries to do too many things - a bag with an identity crisis imho.

6. Yep, with you now. Ta guys.

7. Recently changed my Hand bag for a short back Inf Bergen. I liked the size of the other arm’s one (being a short a*se) but liked the lid/pockets on the Inf Bergen. All arms has only one main compartment so it gets annoying trying to pull out your kit. Don't forget, just cos the Inf gergen is bigger doesn't mean u have to fill it.
    T C

8. All arms bergan is being withdrawn (because it's sh*t). All individuals are to be issued the Inf bergan on 1157 (I got mine 6 months ago). This all came about following visits by CGS's briefing team. Virtually all Toms from RE, RAC etc complained bitterley that they were being issued inferior kit. Jackson said it was a stupid situation and all arms are now being issued what the infantry get. The same is happening with assualt vest as well. Got mine for Herrick on Monday.

Regards

SF

9. Even RAF blunties get issued with the assault vest for ops in Iraq. A good bit of kit, shame its taken so long to come about.

I agree about the All Arms bergan, complete waste of time for any serious carrying. I used the long back infantry bergan when I was a rifle green sex machine and have used it ever since I became a crab. The only good thing about the All Arms bergan is using it instead of the issue holdall for spare kit, although the new op travel bag is pretty good too.

10. On a slightly different subject, but with the issue bergan in mind. How do they expect me to get a short or large back bergan into a CR2 crewmans bin + doss bag + >Bivvy bag, webbing and helmet. Even with the the new patrol bergan you are taking the P§ss, but hey HMG issue it so it must fit.

Dissilusioned RDG

11. Can't you just black tape and tywrap it to the outside or something? MoD standard bodge, jobs a good 'un.

:wink:

12. Surely that will be in your bergan ? Unless you carry you 1157 on ex with you ?!?

Or better still leave tem behind :twisted:

13. Being from a formation recce unit i actually used to like the old TURTLE PACK (all arms bergan). Although they are absolutely shite for anything even slightly infantry related, they were ideal for fitting in the back bin of the wagon. All i used to keep in there was the kit that i wasnt using on daily basis i.e change of kit etc. My essential kit was just kept in a patrol sack in my turret bin and doss bag was kept in a spare cam net bag on the back of the otis bin along with the gunners and drivers.

Bearing this in mind i was actually glad when we were issued the infantry bergan as there was nothing worse that having to get all the gear needed for dismounted ops etc into the all arms bergan and go bimbling off into the sunset looking like the teenage munant ninja turtles, and once they are in the back bin they take up about the same amount of space as the old one.

Change can be good - sometimes

14. I FIND THE HANDBAG A PAIN IN THE PROVERBIAL, YOU CANT TAB WITH IT, UNLESS YOU FANCY HAVING YOUR THE BOTTOM OF YOUR RIB CAGE RUBBED AWAY AND SQUASHED UP,
    IM USING A SHORTBACK BERGEN AT THE MO, TOP BIT OF KIT,WAIST STRAP FITS NICELY AROUND THE WAIST AND CARRIES ALL THE KIT YOU NEED