• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

All Arms Bergan

Why does no-one like these smaller bergans? I think there great. Don't want the big fcuk off infantry bergan, as on ex, even in winter, I never even half fill it!

Do they call this the All arms handbag?

It is known as the All-Arms Handbag as that is what it is best suited for (you may gather that I prefer the Inf Bergan)!

It's designed for those guys/gals who don't have to do long distances on foot and have to stow their bergans away in limited space in vehicles - to meet that basic requirement it does pretty well.

That said, I find it a pain in the arse - it doesn't hold all the kit I want it to and I dislike having to strap kit on to the outside of bergans.

Still, if it works for you, no problem.

Wow someone who actaully likes the Handbag!

I prefer the inf bergen but I suppose the handbag does have a role if you have a smaller amount of kit but I can always fill the inf bergen, god knows how you get all your kit into the handbag :)

-less the side pockets and a few straps top and bottom.

IIRC. Is ok, but tries to do too many things - a bag with an identity crisis imho.

Recently changed my Hand bag for a short back Inf Bergen. I liked the size of the other arm’s one (being a short a*se) but liked the lid/pockets on the Inf Bergen. All arms has only one main compartment so it gets annoying trying to pull out your kit. Don't forget, just cos the Inf gergen is bigger doesn't mean u have to fill it.
T C

All arms bergan is being withdrawn (because it's sh*t). All individuals are to be issued the Inf bergan on 1157 (I got mine 6 months ago). This all came about following visits by CGS's briefing team. Virtually all Toms from RE, RAC etc complained bitterley that they were being issued inferior kit. Jackson said it was a stupid situation and all arms are now being issued what the infantry get. The same is happening with assualt vest as well. Got mine for Herrick on Monday.

Regards

SF

Even RAF blunties get issued with the assault vest for ops in Iraq. A good bit of kit, shame its taken so long to come about.

I agree about the All Arms bergan, complete waste of time for any serious carrying. I used the long back infantry bergan when I was a rifle green sex machine and have used it ever since I became a crab. The only good thing about the All Arms bergan is using it instead of the issue holdall for spare kit, although the new op travel bag is pretty good too.

On a slightly different subject, but with the issue bergan in mind. How do they expect me to get a short or large back bergan into a CR2 crewmans bin + doss bag + >Bivvy bag, webbing and helmet. Even with the the new patrol bergan you are taking the P§ss, but hey HMG issue it so it must fit.

Dissilusioned RDG

Furious32 said:
On a slightly different subject, but with the issue bergan in mind. How do they expect me to get a short or large back bergan into a CR2 crewmans bin + doss bag + >Bivvy bag, webbing and helmet. Even with the the new patrol bergan you are taking the P§ss, but hey HMG issue it so it must fit.

Dissilusioned RDG
Surely that will be in your bergan ? Unless you carry you 1157 on ex with you ?!?

Or better still leave tem behind :twisted:

Being from a formation recce unit i actually used to like the old TURTLE PACK (all arms bergan). Although they are absolutely shite for anything even slightly infantry related, they were ideal for fitting in the back bin of the wagon. All i used to keep in there was the kit that i wasnt using on daily basis i.e change of kit etc. My essential kit was just kept in a patrol sack in my turret bin and doss bag was kept in a spare cam net bag on the back of the otis bin along with the gunners and drivers.

Bearing this in mind i was actually glad when we were issued the infantry bergan as there was nothing worse that having to get all the gear needed for dismounted ops etc into the all arms bergan and go bimbling off into the sunset looking like the teenage munant ninja turtles, and once they are in the back bin they take up about the same amount of space as the old one.

Change can be good - sometimes

I FIND THE HANDBAG A PAIN IN THE PROVERBIAL, YOU CANT TAB WITH IT, UNLESS YOU FANCY HAVING YOUR THE BOTTOM OF YOUR RIB CAGE RUBBED AWAY AND SQUASHED UP,
IM USING A SHORTBACK BERGEN AT THE MO, TOP BIT OF KIT,WAIST STRAP FITS NICELY AROUND THE WAIST AND CARRIES ALL THE KIT YOU NEED

After the large pack (never could get in a firing position) the handbag was a god send, and issued. Then came the infantry bergan. Why is it the more space; the more ultra important, cant do without, absoulutly must take (and then never use) kit is carried?

Spoke to SQMS and he said they are withdrawing the combat handbag. Someone moaned to Sir Mike on an inspection and he ordered it. So you will get an Inf bergan shortly.

Can we please, please, please learn how to spell?

Its Bergen. B E R G E N. After a town in Norway..... (its a long story).

Bergen. Not BergAn. That would be the wrong spelling....

Nuggets...

Adjutant said:
Can we please, please, please learn how to spell?

Its Bergen. B E R G E N. After a town in Norway..... (its a long story).

Bergen. Not BergAn. That would be the wrong spelling....

Nuggets...
There you go Adj, a very short history of Bergen. I dont see any referance to rucksacks though.

Bergen History - very short version

Bergen was founded in 1070 by King Olav Kyrre. The town was favorably situated in relation to shipping traffic and was for a long time the country’s most important commercial, shipping and industrial town. Moreover, Bergen became a commercial and shipping town of European significance and for a while, during the Middle Ages, Bergen was also the largest of all the towns in the Nordic countries. Bergen is the only town in the whole of Scandinavia which has followed a classical European pattern of development. In the twelfth century the economic boom broke through in Lubeck, which was the first town on the Baltic to become a centre for international commerce. After a while, the town also influenced circumstances in Bergen which now became the natural geographical and economic centre for the maritime empire known as the Might of Norway. Trading from the north with import of grain and export of fish laid the foundation for growth during the first centuries.

From the fourteenth century and onwards for several centuries, the Hanseatic merchants dominated trade. The Hanseatic merchants established one of their four most important trading stations in Bergen, the German Office on the Wharf. In the period from the last half of the nineteenth century until the First World War, there was strong growth in trade and industry resulting in an increase in population; from 17,000 inhabitants in 1855 to 103,500 inhabitants in 1920 (Bergen Town). It was not until the beginning of the 1830s that the population of Oslo exceeded Bergen in number. The town has fallen prey to conflagrations throughout its entire history. Buildings of the Church and State were usually constructed in stone and could therefore be repaired after damage by fire. The homes of the citizens of the town, on the other hand, were timber constructions and therefore had to be built up again from the foundations. The Hanseatic merchants were those most observant of tradition in relation to architecture. When the Wharf was rebuilt after the great town fire of 1702 for example, only a few small changes were made.

This is the (very) short version :)

Latest Threads