All are welcome, bring a chequebook.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Soggy4978, Sep 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

'I'm a kike, a heeb, a hook nose! I'm kosher, mum, and I'm proud of it'

As some of you may know, I'm a red sea pedestrian and, whilst I'm not exactly practicing, I thought I'd head down to Synagogue this morning as it's Rosh Hashanah (new year).

Now, it's been a long time since I've been to one, and it's the first time I've stepped foot in this particular house of prayer, but I must say, what little faith I had in the 'organised' part of organised religion has waned to nearly nothing.

Synagogues, along with many other religious institutions, are suffering from lower attendance levels than ever, and are actively trying to encourage new members to join.

So, I head on down nice and early this morning to enquire as to the times of the services for today and Yom Kippur (the day of atonement) next week, only to be told that a ticket is required. Fine, thinks I, I'm sure it gets busy on the High Holy Days and I'm not averse to making a small donation towards the upkeep of the building and the community.

Small donation my arrse. Sixty bloody quid!!

That's right, sixty English Pounds to sit in a room and mumble hebrew for a couple of hours whilst wondering if they'll put on a nice spread afterwards.

I did manage to haggle them down to thirty and asked them to invoice me, so I can at least keep them waiting a while (petty, I know, but oh well), so I'll be heading back there for when the service starts.

It did leave me wondering, though, if anyone can really be frowned upon for calling us, as a religious group, money hungry. This was a Progressive synagogue too, I'd hate to think how much an Orthodox service would have cost me.

Does any other religion demand money in such a blatant and shameless way? Or am i just over reacting and I should just pull out my chequebook and become a member (for the bargain price of £50 a month + £37.50 a month for something to do with funerals and a one off fee of £200)?

What do the learned members of Arrse think?

(Note, it's in the Int Cell, not the NAAFI)

2. My local Church of England makes a moderate charge for its fetes and other functions, but then again it has to try and maintain a church that is getting on for a thousand years old and which loses its roof to pikeys every few months....

3. I believe that Mormons are tithed 10% of their income.......

4. With relatively small communities and without the resources history has endowed the CofE and Catholic Church I think it is inevitable that each member of a small practising community has to contribute more that the average churchgoer. I do think that sixty quid is taking the piss. Were you given any information about vital projects such as building repairs?

5. On the face of it it sounds really tacky but on the other hand the costs of upkeep on places of worship can be horrendus and expecting donations from the faithful/visitors means you will be a meeting in a tent soon*.

Could be worse and they could expect you to tithe over 10% (pre tax) of your income each month.

*something like 15 million visitors to Salisbury catherderal each year gets about £15,000 in donations!

6. I suspect my church would be very empty if we tried that.

7. Become a muslim, you've already had the bits converted to non gentile - and you don't eat pork..

8. Soggy4978

A small donation, I'd be more than happy with, especially for a fete or function type of thing, but expecting people to pay £60 in order to pray, on one of the three most important festivals in the Jewish calendar, seems to be taking advantage of peoples wishes to be in a synagogue on these days. I've not enquired as to the cost of tickets for Yom Kippur or Sukkot, but if they're priced the same then it'll be £180 for three days praying!!

It also irritates me that I'm now pissed off about the money side of things. I'm generally pretty laid back when it comes to money, it's there to be spent anyway and at the end of the month more appears in my bank account, but it just seems so bloody cheeky to demand payment for prayer. It'll certainly be the last time I bother for a very long time.

9. Soggy4978

Nope, the building looks to be in good nick though and, from what I can see in the couple of leaflets I picked up on my way out, even they're Cheder (sort of a Jewish sunday school) costs the parents money to put their kids into, so it's not as if the money I'm paying will even go towards books etc for the kiddywinks.

10. My religion charges nothing, I can worship wherever and whenever I like. I don't need a building or a priest/priestess. My own personal variety of Paganism suits me just fine. Seriously, all the best and good luck with yours. Peace be upon you all.

11. The different types of religious bodies mentioned reckon if you are gullible enough to believe in god or gods or pixies or whatever you are an easy touch, they are just being slightly more blatant about it, or grasping.

12. Maybe the Rabbi needs a new Volvo XC90?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Religions have been demanding cash from their true believers since the concept of money was invented. Before that, they would have demanded food, livestock etc. The only difference between religions in this sense is the level of money-grabbing.

At the lowest end, the vicar will pass the collection plate around at the end of sermon. At the highest level you have the American TV Evangelists fleecing the mouth-breathers who watch their shows for $millions in order to stop "God calling them home". Or Scientology doing the same thing to Alien Walts who want to travel over "The Bridge of Total Freedom".:roll:

And of course the Daddy of them all is the Catholic Church. Over the course of 2,000 years, Holy Mother(******)Church has developed theft, extortion and financial corruption to a level that makes the Mafia look like rank amateurs.8-O

Religion is a business. It always has been and always will be.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Loot!:twisted:

14. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hopefully this sort of thing will discourage people from attending places of worship and eventually religion will die the long overdue death it's deserved since Darwin published the origin of species.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Happy new year Schnorrer!

• Like Like x 1