All American Week — 82nd Airborne Division

Discussion in 'US' started by Trip_Wire, May 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division present their colors during the Division Review May 18, at Pike Field, Fort Bragg, N.C. The Division Review is held as part of the All-American Week.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Fix Bayonets!

Attached Files:

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

A couple of pictures of the 82nd AB's tribute to those Paratroopers KIA in the Global War on Terror.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting beret shaping. Or not.
    Again, half of this unit has to sit down to urinate. What physical jerks are required to become a US Skygod?
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I have never knowingly written anything on this site that even generally supports Trip, but I do have to ask.

Are you sponsored by Crayola?

I only ask, because you seem to crayon over any number of threads with your pseudo-machismo almost intact.
  6. Thanks Trip, brings back memories.
  7. Careful, he's proper str8, innit. It says so in his name.
  8. I remember stuff like this. I used to get out of it all the time though. Being Audie Murphy height I was almost always an odd man out and then given the "lucky sob, ok get out of here..."
  9. If you consider that we have an (airborne) Engineer Brigade that alone outnumbers the total Brit para force you'd understand. I have my own views on females in the airborne but I will concede I've met some jumpmasters of the opposite sex that were tough as hell.
  10. It always amazes me, when looking at the shear manpower available to the yanks war machine!

Though I do have to question the course standards when checking out the WRAC arrses on these 2.

Attached Files:

11. And the good thing is, you can tell whether it's worth tapping by the noise it makes on the way down.

...a deep bass humming noise means slack as a clown's pocket, and probably had half the company. A high-pitched, flute-like melody on the other hand...

On a serious note, I've noted a very high proportion of US soldiers with either airborne or ranger badges - are these run as cadres for all combat MOS?
  12. Being females they're probably at division level as support staff or in the MI BN.
  13. Lol.

The airborne school runs at least four companies--Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta--if I remember correctly, year round for a 3-week course. That means there are a lot of slots available, so there are a lot of spaces available to fill [rather than stand the training companies down]. Officers get slots often when they're still in officer training (ROTC) or the academies, sometimes soldiers who re-enlist are given a slot, sometimes it's an enlistment incentive, as a requirement to be slotted in an airborne unit and so on. Those who get wings but never go to an airborne unit are called "Five Jump Chumps" (5 jumps the minimum requirement).
  14. All very fascinating stuff, but what are the physical standards, or qualifying tests, necessary to get on this course?
    Besides filling in the forms and turning up.
  15. Let's put it this way when in mid-85 I went to Airborne School on Ft Benning they'd just ended the ability of the cadre to physically hit you, shortly after my stint they stopped sending trainees to the 'pit' for punishment in the Georgia heat, in '87 the first female cadre was brought on, running shoes were substituted for combat boots during PT (probably a good thing) and so on.

Army airborne training is just a cattle call now, a shadow of what it once was during the Vietnam era.