All abroad! The Gurkhas solve bus driver problem

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Jun 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News as it happens.....

Army veterans are perfect solution for company, writes Richard Savill

A group of Gurkhas who are veterans of Bosnia and Iraq are helping to tackle another of Britain's problems - a shortage of bus drivers.

The 21 Army veterans have been recruited by a bus company in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, because it struggled to find British drivers for its fleet of 108 vehicles.

The company contacted the Army, which referred it to Bhim Rai, a Gurkha who was coming to the end of his 20 years of service.

Bev Fowles, the managing director of 2Travel, said: "Bhim was perfect for us - he could drive a bus, he spoke perfect English and he wanted to stay in Britain after leaving the Army.

"We took him on and he helped us find another 20 ex-Gurkhas who jumped at the chance of driving buses in deepest Wales."

Two company representatives flew to Nepal to help cut through the red tape and the group now have five-year work permits.

Mr Fowles said: "Some of them had Public Service Vehicle licences and we are training those who haven't.

"Local people have really taken to them. They are highly respected because of their Army service. They are hard-working, loyal and have excellent driving skills."

Most are staying in rented accommodation in Llanelli, but Mr Rai, 39, who has been appointed traffic manager, has moved his family to the area and his two children Jason, 14, and Rebecca, 10, have settled in at local schools.

Mr Rai won UN medals for his service in Cyprus and Kosovo, a Gulf war medal and a long service good conduct medal for his 20 years with the Gurkhas.

He said: "I'm really happy in Wales. Everyone has been very friendly and it's not really that different to Nepal.

"I heard about the chance of bus driving in Wales and it suited me perfectly. I knew a lot of my countrymen back in Nepal would love the job too.

"They have settled in well and some of them can even speak a bit of Welsh.

"I'm going back to Nepal next month to recruit some more drivers."

The company is helping to integrate its drivers by taking them to rugby matches at Llanelli's Stradey Park.

One of the drivers, Krishna Rai, 37, said he had to leave his wife and children in Nepal.

He said: "Hopefully, they will be able to come over with me and live here in Wales. The work is not as demanding as being in the Army."

Other drivers include Cpl Tilak Bahadur Rai, 39, a father of two who served in Iraq, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Belize, Bosnia, Brunei and Jamaica.

He has a long service medal, a good conduct medal and a Nato medal for serving in Yugoslavia.

Cpl Yambahadur Rai, 36, also gained Nato, long service and good conduct medals.

Other bus companies have reported a shortage of drivers. After one looked to eastern Europe, unions said firms would not have to recruit from overseas if the pay was better.

I'm not suggesting giving all the jobs we can't fill to Ex-soldiers, but this is (IMHO) a pretty good story. Hope the other drivers at the depot like a good curry.
  2. Good to see somebody is giving the Gurkhas the chance of earning a reasonable living and not dumping them back in Nepal.

Looking forward to going down to that neck of the woods and seeing them behind the wheel :p
  3. DL, you are an evil man, condeming those brave men and their families to life in Wales.
  4. AYE, and any lippy passengers and fare dodgers had better watch out.
    I used to drive buses in Liverpool when I left (before the were demilitarised), bleeding horrible job ,especially at the weekend taking them all into town then picking them up on the last bus out
    ahh the memories
    8) 8) 8) 8)
  5. Can we get ex-Gurkhas to drive London buses please? Wouldn't have to put up with passengers being so disgustingly rude (and occasionally threatening) to the drivers then
  6. It's a lanugage thing !! :lol:
  7. Oi Gunny, you cheeky sod!!
    There's also Wales' only Gurkha restaurant in Llanelli, never heard anybody referring to Llanelli as being just like Nepal though.
  8. Soz Issi. Gulp !! :lol: Welcome back, not heard from you in a while. Check out the Aviation forum. Can you spot both of us??