Alienware & Kaspersky

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by blue-sophist, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Just recovered, thanks to my IT wizard [nephew] from intermittent lockup on the Black Monster [= nearly £4K of Alienware ALX].

It appears [as far as he can gather] that a boot virus had got in ... because the Alienware "bundled with Kaspersky anti-virus" is only good for 3 months and times out without telling you! Buggrit ... back to Norton that I had paid for anyway.

If anyone is thinking of investing in Alienware's super kit, feel free to PM ... there's a tale or two to tell.
  2. Do yourself a favour and destroy that Norton CD immediately.

Try free avs like AVG, Anti-Vir or you can go back to kaspersky - AOL has a kaspersky powered anti virus s/w that is free.
  3. blue-sophist

I am now under the command of my Wizard, having screwed up several IT installations in recent years! With £4K Alienware to look after .... who do I trust?

I dislike Norton for its intrusiveness, but at least it doesn't pi** off without telling you!!
  4. blue-sophist

Fascinating ... everyone disagrees.

I've only been a user for 15 years and nobody agrees on the answer ... except God Gates, of course! ;-)
  5. Norton and McAfee? Utter bollox.

Try Black Ice by I.S.S. and Avast Pro by ALWIL software.

Umm...not sure if you want to pay for their services or use an alternative route. PM me if you want the latter.
  6. Not true - the general consensus among tech-saavy users is that Norton is rubbish; it is a resource hog, slows down the system, and is very difficult to get rid of. And you are gg to have to pay for updates when your licence expires.

I do not like Mcafee as well. I used one that is distributed distributed to DOD staff (the one referened in another post above) and I do not like it.

AVG - no probs but there are some noises being made that its detection rate is not the best. Anti-Vir supposed to be very good.

I've used both and had no problems - automatic updates everyday and they will automatically scan your emails.

I am now using the free AOL KAspersky powered anti virus software - no problems so far as well.

So there is generally no disagreement that norton is rubbish thought there might be disagreement about what alternative is best.
  7. I've heard good things about Kasperky and there are alternate methods of payment (nothing) which are very easy to find on t'internet.

Also bear in mind if you are running through a router and Windows firewall you already have 2 firewalls in place, they may not be the best but they do offer some level of protection so I don't think you need to worry too much.

Also get an IP hiderm useful for torrenting and p2p but no good on private trackers as you will get the message you are not connectable. Same with some firewalls they can be a pain in the arrse to get through sometimes. I have never heard a godo word said about Norton or Mcaffee.
  8. Zone Alarm Security suite seems to work well enough for me, backed by Spybot (free), Ad-Aware (free) and Windows Defender (free).

You might want to scuttle along to Sheilds Up for a quick check of how well your PC is protected against folk trying to get into it from the outside.

GRC are the folk that made Spinrite, which saved me many a hard disk back in the early 90s, when DOS was King and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
  9. ...and things like the Ping-pong virus roamed freely across floppy disc boot sector. :)
  10. I personally prefer Kapersky antivirus
    AVG is not bad but Zone Alarm got on my nerves constantly not allowing me on normal websites having to piss about putting them in the allow
  11. urine about??? should,ve been P*ss about. this programs better than my computers thesaurus i want one
  12. blue-sophist

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. With another thread/poll running, I'll just say ... the problem appears to be one of my printers!

13. Personally, being the tight wad I am, I use Firefox with a combination of AVG Anti Virus, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and AVG Anti-Spyware. Works great and have never had any problems.

Don't bother with Norton or McAfee, as previously mentioned, they just slow you down and are just a pain in the arse frankly.

As for firewalls? Zone Alarm - pah! As a matter of fact, I have yet to find a satisfactory software firewall. A hardware firewall built into a router is probably the way to go.

So on the whole I agree with Fluff...................................damn.

PS I work for a part of BT, and, for anyone who's interested, don't bother with the BT Home Hub - its pants and you never get the full potential of your ADSL.

For example, getting LOADS of reports of users with ADSLMax (speeds of up to 8MB) only getting maximum speeds of 3.2 - 4.0MB, when rated at 7-8MB, and 2MB, when rated at 5-6MB.
  14. blue-sophist

Thanks for opinions various. Being non-UK, and thus BT-free, options are different anyway. However, much food for thought. Thanks, guys.