Alice in Wonderland

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I work somewhere which is very much Lewis Carroll/ Alice in Wonderland themed.

Got me wondering about Lewis Carroll himself. Clearly the inspiration for Alice was a real person, Alice Liddell, who as a child was strikingly beautiful. Sassy too apparently. She kept her beauty all her life. No wonder that he was fascinated by her and wrote a book about it. Dodgson was into photography in a big way and I thought, oh heck this is where it goes downhill. He photographed himself repeatedly and took photos of the Liddell kids, mostly artistic stuff, but there may be evidence he took photos of Alice's sister, who is naked and pre-pubescent. Consent at that time was 12 years old, and apparently \Dodgson wanted a relationship with Alice's sister, who was more than 12, and very pretty as well. Dodgson never married and was popular with children, although no evidence at all was that he sexually assaulted anyone. The photo would get someone locked up nowadays. Son of a vicar, repressed sexuality in that era was the norm. I do wonder whether his fascination with children was almost completely innocent with just some sexual thoughts creeping in or a bit odd.

I also think that he may have been a highly functioning Aspergers. His thoughts in Alice are of that type, and witty too as Aspergers can be. Of course he could not be diagnosed with Aspergers as it was not a diagnosis at the time. My view is that he was, as he showed artistic leanings early in life, had speech impediment ( He stuttered horribly) was mathematically minded and remained childlike through his life, without making much of any relationships.

...and?

Calling Elon Musk he's the expert on calling out "pedo guys", although his defamation trial might put a stop to that one

Got me wondering about Lewis Carroll himself. Clearly the inspiration for Alice was a real person, Alice Liddell, who as a child was strikingly beautiful. Sassy too apparently. She kept her beauty all her life. No wonder that he was fascinated by her and wrote a book about it. Dodgson was into photography in a big way and I thought, oh heck this is where it goes downhill. He photographed himself repeatedly and took photos of the Liddell kids, mostly artistic stuff, but there may be evidence he took photos of Alice's sister, who is naked and pre-pubescent. Consent at that time was 12 years old, and apparently \Dodgson wanted a relationship with Alice's sister, who was more than 12, and very pretty as well. Dodgson never married and was popular with children, although no evidence at all was that he sexually assaulted anyone. The photo would get someone locked up nowadays. Son of a vicar, repressed sexuality in that era was the norm. I do wonder whether his fascination with children was almost completely innocent with just some sexual thoughts creeping in or a bit odd.

I also think that he may have been a highly functioning Aspergers. His thoughts in Alice are of that type, and witty too as Aspergers can be. Of course he could not be diagnosed with Aspergers as it was not a diagnosis at the time. My view is that he was, as he showed artistic leanings early in life, had speech impediment ( He stuttered horribly) was mathematically minded and remained childlike through his life, without making much of any relationships.
I've heard enough! Light the torches! Sharpen the pitchforks!

Let no library be left standing throughout the land ere this night is done.

I've heard enough! Light the torches! Sharpen the pitchforks!

Let no library be left standing throughout the land ere this night is done.

Leave it a couple of years the government will have shut them all anyway

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloke was a nonce and the Wonderland books are his thinly-veiled **** fantasies.

HTH.
Are you going to tell me what you really think or just be indecisive.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting?

Really?

I saw a blue car today.
Lets face it, paedophilia themed posts are not going to cut it in Current affairs are they?

I thought he was ripped to the tits on absinthe, or was it laudanum, when he wrote it? Or was that someone else from that era? Conan Doyle? No, he was thingy, opium or at least Sherlock was. Or, was it me when I read it?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's become very fashionable of late to try to diagnosis Aspergers in various historical figures.

But he certainly falls within the criteria for a diagnosis

I'm not sure that there is enough evidence to point to anything. He apparently could sing and recite (although he didn't like to do so because of his stammer) and liked theatre. Furthermore, there is some reason to believe that his relationships with adult women weren't as innocent as we may think (including some speculation that he might have been a bit too intimate with Alice's mother). Furthermore, his pictures and drawings of children were not out of keeping with the mores of the time.

Lewis Carroll - Wikipedia (see the sections on his alleged sexual preferences and his missing diaries)

He may have been a nonce, but, OTOH, such evidence as exists tends towards him not being one.

Latest Threads