Ali alive.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Got quite downhearted earlier today when I read a report that the great Muhammed Ali was said to " be close to death" in an article quoting his brother. Much relieved when later reports appear to contradict this. Muhammad Ali pictured watching the Super Bowl as family dismiss claims he could be 'dead in days' | Mail Online

I understand that Parkinsons has taken it's toll, but as one who watched himin his glory years, I fear that when he dies it will be the end of an era in boxing. Cooper et al were good boxers, hard fighters but sportsmen. Not sure that is often the case nowadays.

T

trowel

Got quite downhearted earlier today when I read a report that the great Muhammed Ali was said to " be close to death" in an article quoting his brother. Much relieved when later reports appear to contradict this. Muhammad Ali pictured watching the Super Bowl as family dismiss claims he could be 'dead in days' | Mail Online

I understand that Parkinsons has taken it's toll, but as one who watched himin his glory years, I fear that when he dies it will be the end of an era in boxing. Cooper et al were good boxers, hard fighters but sportsmen. Not sure that is often the case nowadays.
Never understood the Cassius Clay worshipers. Wasn`t that good a boxer and was as thick as pig shit into the bargain.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
He's in a bad way, but it could argued that he's been on the way out for years. Not exactly going to be a shock when he passes is it?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That explains it all.

Ali may not be, in the opinion of some, a particularly great boxer ( I know Cooper was much better) as for being thick, possibly the brain injury might give that impression, however he was extremely succesful so either all his opponents were crap or they threw the fights. Not sure I would like to suggest either to any of them still living, even now.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never understood the Cassius Clay worshipers. Wasn`t that good a boxer and was as thick as pig shit into the bargain.
He was a big fat lad and fast but he want that good. But he twatted Foreman. And he did it by psyching the **** out. Personally I saw him as smart as ****. Until he got sick. Then he wasn't thick as shit. He was a smart boxer who got Parkinsons.

I willingly went to Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia , Kosovo, Macedonia (just for you JoeyDeacon, you creepy freak) and other places. Then again, I wasn't a real boxer.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
saw him in the puddle dock mermaid theatre many moons ago I had 12 yes 12 press free tickets to dole out. would you believe it i could only give two away plus my one funnny ole world innit?

At the end he flouted three foot into the air slung out three or four punches any of which would have killed me then landed and shuffled back to his ill self. But for a brief second I saw why he was so great. A good boxer and a great human .

A very good boxer, but was he really the best heavyweight of that era?

True he won against Frazier and foreman, but I always wonder how Ali would have fared against cassius clay - that certainly would have been a mega fight. Clay showed excellent potential with a style similar to Ali, shame that he just dropped off the scence and never realised his full potential.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

True he won against Frazier and foreman, but I always wonder how Ali would have fared against cassius clay - that certainly would have been a mega fight. Clay showed excellent potential with a style similar to Ali, shame that he just dropped off the scence and never realised his full potential.

Terrible wah. Must try harder.

Oh please God, let that be a wind up - a bad one at that.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
F**k me, I know ARRSE has resident experts on absolutely everything - but I didn't for one minute think the fat STAB c**ts would be shifting in their worn-out arm chairs to all come on here and critique arguably the most talented, charismatic, intelligent and legendary boxer of all time...

Best call the Beeb and get him to return his Sports Personality of the 20th Century award.

I can't understand all the Ali fans who forget about all the anti white racist crap he spouted. Didn't he refer to whites as 'slavemasters over dark people' and gave a 'black is best' speech whilst accompanied by that bastion of equality, Malcolm X?? I think the answer is a big yes.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I think you misunderstand his motives.

He was all about black people taking their place as equals in society - urging them to be proud and not ashamed, to come out of the ghettos, stand up and be counted. For too long they'd been seen as a lower form of life, having separate cafes, laundrettes, being made to sit at the back of the bus etc.

Tell me - what would you do about it?

He even said "no we don't hate you - we just wanna be independent now".

Latest Threads