Ali alive.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Feb 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Got quite downhearted earlier today when I read a report that the great Muhammed Ali was said to " be close to death" in an article quoting his brother. Much relieved when later reports appear to contradict this. Muhammad Ali pictured watching the Super Bowl as family dismiss claims he could be 'dead in days' | Mail Online

I understand that Parkinsons has taken it's toll, but as one who watched himin his glory years, I fear that when he dies it will be the end of an era in boxing. Cooper et al were good boxers, hard fighters but sportsmen. Not sure that is often the case nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Never understood the Cassius Clay worshipers. Wasn`t that good a boxer and was as thick as pig shit into the bargain.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

He's in a bad way, but it could argued that he's been on the way out for years. Not exactly going to be a shock when he passes is it?

4. You're either fishing or talking about something you know nothing about.

5. Tour dodger too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maccy D's shift finished early then Jock ?

7. Cheers for that Gluebag.

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That explains it all.

Ali may not be, in the opinion of some, a particularly great boxer ( I know Cooper was much better) as for being thick, possibly the brain injury might give that impression, however he was extremely succesful so either all his opponents were crap or they threw the fights. Not sure I would like to suggest either to any of them still living, even now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

He was a big fat lad and fast but he want that good. But he twatted Foreman. And he did it by psyching the **** out. Personally I saw him as smart as ****. Until he got sick. Then he wasn't thick as shit. He was a smart boxer who got Parkinsons.

10. I willingly went to Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia , Kosovo, Macedonia (just for you JoeyDeacon, you creepy freak) and other places. Then again, I wasn't a real boxer.

11. He doesn't know that he wasn't there, Man!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

saw him in the puddle dock mermaid theatre many moons ago I had 12 yes 12 press free tickets to dole out. would you believe it i could only give two away plus my one funnny ole world innit?

At the end he flouted three foot into the air slung out three or four punches any of which would have killed me then landed and shuffled back to his ill self. But for a brief second I saw why he was so great. A good boxer and a great human .

13. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

no yeller man ever called me Nigger. M Ali.

14. A very good boxer, but was he really the best heavyweight of that era?

True he won against Frazier and foreman, but I always wonder how Ali would have fared against cassius clay - that certainly would have been a mega fight. Clay showed excellent potential with a style similar to Ali, shame that he just dropped off the scence and never realised his full potential.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terrible wah. Must try harder.

• Like Like x 1