Algerian war - 50 year anniversary.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Alsacien, Mar 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

For those who are not familiar with it, you can get an idea of the bitterness around it from this 16min news documentary from France24:

The open scars of the French-Algerian war - ALGERIA DOCUMENTARY - FRANCE 24

It ended 50 years ago yesterday. I think this is the definitive book in English on the subject:

A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 New York Review Books Classics: Alistair Horne: Books

I know French people that agree that the history cannot be written objectively by a French or Algerian, so it probably is the de facto account, I cannot recommend it enough.
    I have discussed the topic at length with an ex-para who was there, it makes for an interesting contrast with NI, and there are many lessons to be learned both in the military context and over the longer term.
  2. In Oz in 2000 I worked for around 6 months and met a Frenchie and his sister. They were Pieds Noirs and if you think the Brits hated de Gaulle you should have heard these two. They blamed de Gaulle personally for the Oran events and the fact that the French Army and Gendarmerie did nothing.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My ex-para friend is the same, he hates de Gaulle with a passion and is happy to blame the man for things that happened years after his death, even current petrol prices!
  4. Well thats a fair one as we all know Maggi Thatcher is to blame for the current petrol prices in the UK , as well as the current economic problems and MRSA in NHS hospitals.
  5. Wasn't that the war which the French lost?
  6. I can remember as a callow youth,watching this unfold,and the shock of the atrocities committed by, the FLN,the OAS,and the French Forces in Algeria.

The fact that when it was reported by the BBC,it included film made it all the more shocking,the actions of the FLN,and OAS,on the French mainland,were also reported in some detail by the Beeb,but the histrionics that we tend to get from telejournos today were absent,and the facts were reported sotto voce,making it even more chilling at the time.