Alf Tupper, Wilson and Roy of the Rovers are real!

Gentlemen, one of my shipmates over on Rum Ration states that Alf Tupper and company were not real and just figments of someones imagination. May lighting strike all unbelievers. I had a few bevvies with Alf in The Bell the other night!!!

Wilson lives on in his Yorkshire cave. Doesn't show his face much because his longjohns need darning.
He is at least 300 years of age, runs 3 minute miles and ascended Everest in bare feet. Those "Nuts and Herbs" he lives on may not withstand close scrutiny.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
commando COMICS how dare yew , they were called training manuals in my mob sirrah.

I liked Billy's Boots, from The Valiant, I think. A story about a 14 year old boy who has a pair of football boots once owned by the legendary late footballer, Dead Shot Keane. When Billy wore them on the field, they became possessed with Keane's footballing ability, enabling Billy to run rings around the oposition, and even to represent England Schoolboys in an away game as a last minte replacement, scoring two goals in the process.

Alf Tupper's on here. He's ex REME metalsmiff.

I liked Billy's Boots, from The Valiant, I think. A story about a 14 year old boy who has a pair of football boots once owned by the legendary late footballer, Dead Shot Keane. When Billy wore them on the field, they became possessed with Keane's footballing ability, enabling Billy to run rings around the oposition, and even to represent England Schoolboys in an away game as a last minte replacement, scoring two goals in the process.
Nah, Billy was Tiger and Scorcher.

Attachments

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I remember that as a strip in Eagle, then "Eagle & Tiger" when they merged - buggers off checks the web - it was a strip in "Tiger", not Valiant.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I remember that as a strip in Eagle, then "Eagle & Tiger" when they merged - buggers off checks the web - it was a strip in "Tiger", not Valiant.
Scorcher merged with Tiger in 1961, then Eagle, also Scorcher also produced a similar strip.

Billy's Boots

Yes, well it was a long time ago. And anyone who was a kid then will remember that those comics often merged and re-ran stories, so it could have been Tiger, Scorcher, Valiant, Roy Of The Rovers, Eagle. Don't forget, they used to borrow off each other for the annuals and print one off stories.

Was it not Roy Race who scored a first half hat trick for Melchester in a European Cup final and who was forced to take over the goalkeeping duties late in the second half and therefore was also the one who saved the penalty in stoppage time enabling them to lift the cup? He must be real...........

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes, well it was a long time ago. And anyone who was a kid then will remember that those comics often merged and re-ran stories, so it could have been Tiger, Scorcher, Valiant, Roy Of The Rovers, Eagle. Don't forget, they used to borrow off each other for the annuals and print one off stories.
True dat.

Scorcher merged with Tiger in 1961, then Eagle, also Scorcher also produced a similar strip.

Billy's Boots
The 60s was the era of Tiger and hurricane, then it was Tiger and Jag, can't remember the Eagle. Roy Race gallantly led Melchester Rovers along with Blackie Gray under the management of Ben Galloway? With tubby morton as his Goalie he entered the player manager field in around 1975 when I gave up the comics in favour of more grown up material.