Alexander McMinn

oldbaldy

LE
Moved this to a dedicated thread as there is so much information.

oldbaldy

LE
His father also served 1828 to 1850 medical discharge. Bit of a lad bust from Bdr & nick at one stage.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
His father also served 1828 to 1850 medical discharge. Bit of a lad bust from Bdr & nick at one stage.
I knew that he'd served, didn't have any more though.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Alexander's WWI MIC:

MIC.jpg

As you can see, confirmation of both enlistment and discharge dates and that his only recognition of service was the Silver War Badge.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Very probably.

There were other areas that he could have servedoutside of UK which did not attract medallic recognition: however, given his age on enlistment (54/55), the army would not have risked his health with a posting away from Home Service.
He'd already served in India I think.

oldbaldy

LE

Attachments

• McMinn Death.jpg
    McMinn Death.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 19

oldbaldy

LE
Alexander McMinn Senior

Attachments

• McMinn, Alexander Senior.pdf
    985.7 KB · Views: 15

oldbaldy

LE
Linlithgow Gazette of 10 April 1936 Alexander John McMinn (I assume his son) was granted a licence for The Road House, Whitburn, as a hotel & Inn. His address is given as Whitburn Garage. The licence was renewed in April 1939

But in 1938 The West Lothian Courier of 6 May report he wasn't so lucky

Attachments

• Road House.jpg
    Road House.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

oldbaldy

LE
Alexander John McMinn record

Attachments

• Mc Minn, Alexander J-1.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 14
I've found an Alexander John McMinn born Clonmel Tipperary about 1860 enlisted RA aged 14 discharged 1891 as unfit for service but then reenlisted 1900. Wife Mary.
A few entries for the McMinns in the 1860s Two births and two marriages. The McMinn girls were keeping it in the Royal Artillery family.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A few entries for the McMinns in the 1860s Two births and two marriages. The McMinn girls were keeping it in the Royal Artillery family.

Amazing - many thanks!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Alexander McMinn Senior
That’s one hell of a medical record in amongst that lot, Christ knows how he survived that long!

Latest Threads