Alexander McMinn

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I've found an Alexander John McMinn born Clonmel Tipperary about 1860 enlisted RA aged 14 discharged 1891 as unfit for service but then reenlisted 1900. Wife Mary.
That's him. DOB 1 Apr 1860 wife Mary McGrath. I have him re-enlisting in 1914 and serving to 1917.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
KOSB, dirty boots and taken in front of a screen. Could be a photo from the rear sector of the front. Who is he?
Interesting, I didn’t know they did photos like that but it’s a ‘postcard’ photo so you are probably right.

It’s either a very young Grandad on my Dad’s side or an old Great Grandad...

More photos to be looked at...

oldbaldy

LE

oldbaldy

LE

Attachments

• McGinn Pension 1.jpg
    McGinn Pension 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
  • McGinn Pension 2.jpg
    McGinn Pension 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 24

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like he had varicose viens
I expect so - service in India is correct as some of his children were born there. 1891 has him in Shorncliffe, presumably just prior to discharge. Only 5' 7" too.

Thanks - all grist to the mill. Can't find a date of death anywhere though.

oldbaldy

LE
I expect so - service in India is correct as some of his children were born there. 1891 has him in Shorncliffe, presumably just prior to discharge. Only 5' 7" too.

1901 he's in Maryhill, working in a papermill.
& 1911 workin g as a timekeeper in a papermill, living in Shotts.

Last edited:

oldbaldy

LE

Died 14 June 1936 at Eastern General Hospital Leith. Heart failure. His address was 126 Kippen Street Airdrie.
Retired engineers storekeeper.

Alexander's final discharge, courtesy of the Silver War Badge Roll:

SWB.jpg

Safe to say that the original image of Sgt Major JC/GC McMinn DCM is correct, it is not a photo of Alexander.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Alexander's final discharge, courtesy of the Silver War Badge Roll:

Safe to say that the original image of Sgt Major JC/GC McMinn DCM is correct, it is not a photo of Alexander.
Very odd - only one DCM in that name from the Boer War - why would my family have 3 photos of him?

Very odd - only one DCM in that name from the Boer War - why would my family have 3 photos of him?

I have absolutely no idea!

I can find no record or trace of a DCM awarded to Alexander McMinn: JC/GC McMinn, though, is documented.

Quite possible that McMinn DCM was a family member . . . might be worth following that train of thought . . .

oldbaldy

LE

Attachments

• Alexander J McMinn Aug 1932.jpg
    Alexander J McMinn Aug 1932.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 23

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

oldbaldy

LE

I can find no record or trace of a DCM awarded to Alexander McMinn: JC/GC McMinn, though, is documented.

Quite possible that McMinn DCM was a family member . . . might be worth following that train of thought . . .
I now have his full pension record. 13 pages of it showing his service.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

oldbaldy

LE

There is a Pte John Alexander McMinn KOSB awarded a DCM London Gazette 8 Feb 1945

oldbaldy

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a Pte John Alexander McMinn KOSB awarded a DCM London Gazette 8 Feb 1945
He had a son Alexander John but born 1893 so a little old for WW2 service. He had a brother but wrong initials (ie. not JC/GC).

Still trying to work out why I would have these family photos of JC McMinn if he's not connected in some way.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Died 14 June 1936 at Eastern General Hospital Leith. Heart failure. His address was 126 Kippen Street Airdrie.
Retired engineers storekeeper.
That address is only about 500m in a straight line from my grandparents' house. I didn't know his date of death so thank you.

Latest Threads