Alexander Haig dies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RP578, Feb 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The essence of a political general as you were ever likely to find. Reemeber seeing him being interviewed by Ali G in the late 1990's and he managed to handle the 'experience' surprisingly well! Interestingly he popularised the wearing of maroon beret wearing among US Army airborne forces in the 1970s before it became officially endorsed. I think it was a habit he picked up from the Bundesheer. I guess he'll be best remembered here for his failed peace-shuttle in the lead up to the Falklands War.

BBC - Alexander Haig dead
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

That and the fact that on one Ex Reforger in the 70's he gave the order to unleash the instant sunshine on Orange Force.
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah he was a renowned 'hawk' who scared a lot of people with his willingness to use tactical nukes in Europe as a warning to the Soviets.

4. I hadn't quite realised the extent of his ambitiousness. This is a quite revealing insight:

article link

Edited to add: I've just browsed through the NY Times Obit and his service history reads like a political fast-track:

Some officers just aren't destined for ordinary careers.