Alexander Blackman BBC Interview

lextalionis

Old-Salt
They meant well so it's alright.

I'm only surprised that Blackman never claimed that it was a mercy-killing, or that the Afghan had been a domestic abuser upon whom he was visiting revenge in the name of the Great Feminist Movement.

As a general question was anyone in the CoC held accountable for the civvie rioters getting the shit kicked out of them in Iraq?
Or was anyone in the CoC held accountable for the death of Baha mousa?
As a general answer, I haven't the faintest idea.

Because I wasn't discussing them.

They meant well so it's alright.

I'm only surprised that Blackman never claimed that it was a mercy-killing, or that the Afghan had been a domestic abuser upon whom he was visiting revenge in the name of the Great Feminist Movement.
That was Plan D. After the CIA mind-ray control ploy.

As a general answer, I haven't the faintest idea.

Because I wasn't discussing them.
But they are a good example of no one in the CoC being held responsible despite the fact there being some serious breaches of the law.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Yes, after pretending that his unarmed prisoner was dead, he pleads Mental Elf. The mind-ray doesn't arouse sympathy though...

But they are a good example of no one in the CoC being held responsible despite the fact there being some serious breaches of the law.
Don't know about those particular incidents, but I was in AHQ ten years ago when one of my oppos was spending a considerable amount of time accounting for his role in the Breadbasket incident, so it does happen. It was all being taken bloody seriously by the 1* (who is now a 3*).

Don't know about those particular incidents, but I was in AHQ ten years ago when one of my oppos was spending a considerable amount of time accounting for his role in the Breadbasket incident, so it does happen. It was all being taken bloody seriously by the 1* (who is now a 3*).
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt, which is odd given all the outrage on here from serving and ex officers, it should happen all the time.

If you feel that strongly, I commend you to the search function to continue discussion in the appropriate threads.

If you feel that strongly, I commend you to the search function to continue discussion in the appropriate threads.
Why? You asked why no one in the CoC has been held responsible for Blackmans actions, I pointed out that its not exactly unknown for **** all to happen to the CoC in some quite serious incidents.

Why? You asked why no one in the CoC has been held responsible for Blackmans actions, I pointed out that its not exactly unknown for **** all to happen to the CoC in some quite serious incidents.
Irrelevant whataboutery.

Irrelevant whataboutery.
Its whataboutery to point out that there have been several known occasions where the CoC have not been held accountable even though they should have been?

The Knut got all he deserved
I expect there were a few others did this.
Pleasure in taking one close up-- I'd sleep OK.
Fek 'im the knut.

Should have been more in Ireland got the same.
Sgt Blackman--- Good guy.

After helpfully dragging them along the ground to get them out of sight?

I share what others have said about feeling sympathy with Blackman. In all honesty it was one of those crimes which one can imagine committing oneself on the spur of the moment while under great pressures. What is reviving criticism of his actions are the attempts to argue it was really the right thing to do after all.
Who has argued it was the right thing to do?

It was just the thing to do.

And it was done.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Who has argued it was the right thing to do?

It was just the thing to do.

And it was done.
When did we go soft on murderers?

When did we go soft on war criminals?

This man is both. He was imprisoned for shooting a wounded, unarmed prisoner in cold blood, because of his feelings, which he, although a big, bad, Royal Marine, failed to control. He is a disgrace to his country and his former service.

Let him now be dismissed from memory.

It's still very fishy, because it presents a useful opportunity to get both the system and Blackman off the hook. He is a cool-blooded war criminal, who turned to the common excuses of the white trash. "Mah mentull elf". Pardon me for being sceptical.

Whatever the failures of his superiors, he is the war criminal, no one else.
Natural justice as I explained to someone else in the thread is not nonsense, but integral to our law. That law was broken:-
1. Fairness..... The appeal court was explicit, that the absence of a proper psychological evaluation was unfair.
2. Unbiased.... The military establishment in the court martial, also failed to explore manslaughter as a possible verdict because it placed the human factor secondary to the LOAC and that bias will inevitably leads to a murder verdict.
3. The new psyche evidence inevitably raises legitimate questions about how far was CP Omar isolated and how far the conditions, contributed to turning a decent man with an exemplary record, into your war criminal. That was not really explored beyond a few comments from Greenberg.

Conclusion:-
A COIN type campaign is notable for how much things devolve to the section/platoon level and we have plenty of evidence, about how overextended the army was in Helmand and was the blackman case a small example, of what happens when you place men in a hell hole, then fail to provide them any relief in pursuit of the mission and make snidey comments in a fitrep that implies a person wasn't showing enough aggression.

Actually no, its an established principle in British justice that no bias should exist.. The original court martial simply failed the defendant and failed him spectacularly and the court failed to explore manslaughter which is a technical breach of the law.
You know as much about the law as you do psychiatry.

Natural justice as I explained to someone else in the thread is not nonsense, but integral to our law. That law was broken:-
1. Fairness..... The appeal court was explicit, that the absence of a proper psychological evaluation was unfair.
2. Unbiased.... The military establishment in the court martial, also failed to explore manslaughter as a possible verdict because it placed the human factor secondary to the LOAC and that bias will inevitably leads to a murder verdict.
3. The new psyche evidence inevitably raises legitimate questions about how far was CP Omar isolated and how far the conditions, contributed to turning a decent man with an exemplary record, into your war criminal. That was not really explored beyond a few comments from Greenberg.

Conclusion:-
A COIN type campaign is notable for how much things devolve to the section/platoon level and we have plenty of evidence, about how overextended the army was in Helmand and was the blackman case a small example, of what happens when you place men in a hell hole, then fail to provide them any relief in pursuit of the mission and make snidey comments in a fitrep that implies a person wasn't showing enough aggression.
It would help if you constructed the odd readable sentence rather than loading bits of punctuation into a shotgun and firing it at your posts.

And the odd conclusion that is actually supported by your premises wouldn't hurt either.

Latest Threads