Alexander’s Legacy – An Empty Throne by Robert Fabbri

ARRSE Rating
5.00 star(s)
Third in the series about the struggles to replace Alexander the Great after his sudden death. The first and second books saw the protagonists identified and settling into which camp they supported or if they were putting themselves forward for the ‘job’ as King. Not all survived!

This book takes the story further and takes the protagonists forward in their attempts at gaining supreme power. There is a full list of the main characters of the period which covers three pages (!) but the main ones are; Olympias, as Alexander’s mother, thinks she has the right to the throne – most disagree, but the is ruthless and will do anything to get herself the power. Ptolemy is now settled in Egypt and is content to remain there just now, but can’t be ignored by the others. There are a few others such as Polyperchon, Kassandros, Thesalonike Roxanna, Seleukos but the main story this time is between Antigonos and Eumenes, who, being Greek, is looked down on by the Macedonians, but he is not known as “The Sly” for nothing.

Alexander.jpg
The start of the book is quite confusing with the number of people in the dramatis personae and one needs to keep concentrated as the story jumps from character to character. All part of the story but still very confusing in parts. The latter third of the book is about the struggles between Antigonos and Eumenes in the area we would now know as Iraq/Pakistan.

Fabbri writes very well and weaves fact into his fiction seamlessly so at times we are reading history and at others pure fiction but hard to know the difference. The main facts did take place and are well documented and that is what the author has hung his tale on. It was a form of civil war between the generals but their troops, in the main, came from whatever part of the area they had either conquered and forced the recruitment or were mercenaries. Much blood is spilt and little quarter given on either side.

This is a really good series covering the events surrounding the aftermath of the death of Alexander the Great, poison or natural? The author’s previous serries of books were about Rome, this moves the conflicts east and a bit earlier in time. These are well written, fast paced and faction. Tip: don’t read the author’s notes before you have read the book as it gives away the plot! I look forward to reading the next in this enthralling series.

5/5 Mr MRHs from me.

Amazon product

Nobbygas

Old-Salt
I must admit that I did enjoy the Robert Fabbri Roman books, so I will have to give this series a good look at.
Thanks for the review.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes indeed, the Roman series was excellent and I am sure this series will be equal to it. Excellent review as well.

Latest Threads