Alexa......

Kirkz, I understand your sentiment but I doubt that even you could amass and store a physical library of 40 million tracks...

Even at 20 tracks on every single LP or CD or cassette tape, you'd have to find space for 20 million separate albums.
There isn't that much music worth listening to in the world IMHO.

Of my several hundred CDs and black vinyl albums I probably listen to about 100 with any regularity, the rest only occasionally.

My CDs are burned down to MP3 tracks which reside on my MP3 player or else on a USB stick in the car. I don't drain my phone battery by using it as a player other than in extremis [boredom & no other music source available].

I don't really listen to vinyl any more and I also have a collection of spoken word audiobooks etc [which can easily be ripped live from a PC input using Audacity]. Mostly I listen to radio or CD.

I made a conscious decision to only listen to the radio in the car otherwise you never get to hear anything new.

There isn't that much music worth listening to in the world IMHO.

Of my several hundred CDs and black vinyl albums I probably listen to about 100 with any regularity, the rest only occasionally.

My CDs are burned down to MP3 tracks which reside on my MP3 player or else on a USB stick in the car. I don't drain my phone battery by using it as a player other than in extremis [boredom & no other music source available].

I don't really listen to vinyl any more and I also have a collection of spoken word audiobooks etc [which can easily be ripped live from a PC input using Audacity]. Mostly I listen to radio or CD.
Your opinion, a valid as it is in its own context, has no relevance to what I said... quoted in your post above.

I note further that you disagree with the idea that physical media will gradually disappear too. There will, of course, be legacy stuff around for decades to come but commercially, the demand for physical media will fall away and on demand (streaming) will be king.

Think back to BlockBuster video stores... their core business was such that they had nothing to offer when the on demand movie suppliers made huge inroads into the rented DVD customer base. Music is going the same way and of that, there can be no doubt.

I made a conscious decision to only listen to the radio in the car otherwise you never get to hear anything new.
If it's anything like here, you can even tell what time it is by what track is playing on the radio as they repeat the same playlist in the same order every hour.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A client rang me today, they have purchased an Alexa, and have also purchased some replacement light switches, which I gather can be controlled from your telephone
now quite why one would need to use a telephone to turn lights on and off when a standard plate switch does it so well I am not sure
so he asked me to fit the switches
here is my reply in writing covering myself

Just had a look at the information
first of all the enclosures in the wall would not be deep enough for these units to fit correctly you need at least 50mm clearance to allow them to fit and for the cables to terminate without being compressed
the unit also need a constant Neutral line, and the typical wiring system within a modern property does not allow for this, it would consist of a live supply from the rose and a switched return
secondly I looked at the information supplied and nowhere could I find any reference to any of the relevant electrical standards that this equipment must conform to
without those and the testing that goes on to achieve them you have no guarantee of the units safety, reliability, or resistance to fire

BS EN61439
BS5266
IEC 60158
BS 7671 Rev 111
BS EN 60947

as such without major alterations to the wiring of the property they would not work, and I would not be able to connect the units as to do so would be to apportion a degree of acceptance on my part
my honest opinion is that far too much of this poorly produced rubbish is coming out of China, and it is only when a few houses burn down, or house owner receive an electric shock that legal action will be taken, by then it is too late
Your House insurance would also be likely Null and void if equipment such as this is installed

Totally in agreement, you old dinosaur.

The number of jobs I've attended, where some pimply millenial has installed the latest gadgets, only to find themselves in deep crap, because no one can source replacements, and can't work out how to replace with an alternative.

@JS

I looked into the wifi enabled switches and found pretty much the same as you, a bugger to fit and potentially dangerous.

Instead of messing about with the house wiring, I've put wifi enabled LED lights into table lamps around the house. The phone app has various timers set for each bulb, and a couple of plug in switches.

Google home voice control is used for dimming and colour control. Blue ish in the morning, orange in the evening.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If it's anything like here, you can even tell what time it is by what track is playing on the radio as they repeat the same playlist in the same order every hour.
Commercial radio in the UK, been going that way for a while. The thinking being a limited playlist is the way to go. It hasn’t quite got to the tell the time by the track yet, but you can only tell the station by the jingles, they all sound the same.

Control4 or similar appear to be popular with the wealthy however by the time they've enough £ to pay for it there too old to understand it

@JS

I looked into the wifi enabled switches and found pretty much the same as you, a bugger to fit and potentially dangerous.

Instead of messing about with the house wiring, I've put wifi enabled LED lights into table lamps around the house. The phone app has various timers set for each bulb, and a couple of plug in switches.

Google home voice control is used for dimming and colour control. Blue ish in the morning, orange in the evening.
I'm with @Joshua Slocum on this one, why do you need to use your phone to turn the lights on when a switch is pretty easy to use. if you need the lights on before you get home there are timer switches.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I had to look at a system about 12 years ago, it controlled the heating, lighting, security, door access, vents,and lots of the socket outlets ( protection against fire) fire alarm and even closed and opened internal doors
it could mimic your lifestyle so that if you were away it would appear as if you were in the house
the main brain had popped, and it was not an easy job, as some of the signalling was fibre optic, and all of the plate switches where touch sensitive, it even flashed the lights if the door bell rang
I ended up shutting the power off to the property and removing the brain, quite a job as it had about 40 cables, each one had to be tagged, the manufacturer had gone out of business !!
after several days of phone calls and emails I tracked down a chap in Cambridge that could speak the language of this thing, he made a new brain, much smaller and more efficient than the other ( turned out he had done a few already)
it took him several days to make, but he knew what he was doing, and modified the main connection board to prevent further problems, he also provided a technical drawing, he came back with me to the property and I rewired it and he did something with a laptop and commissioned it all
the final invoice for his work and mine was substantial
the client never baulked, turned out every other company had wanted to gut the place and rewire it completely
and he wanted to sell it !
seems it has never given a days problem since
there are some very very clever people around Cambridge

I'm with @Joshua Slocum on this one, why do you need to use your phone to turn the lights on when a switch is pretty easy to use. if you need the lights on before you get home there are timer switches.
Ive used the phone to set a variety of timers, but never to just switch them on and off. Having plug in lamps means I still have lights on a switch. But I have mood lighting on timers an I can adjust that without even touching a switch.

Google home also times my coffee in the morning and serves up some great blues radio :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y US 5
Chodmeister Royal Signals 1
DRIVER_B_III_RASC The NAAFI Bar 241