Alex Salmond charged with multiple counts of sexual assault, and a bunch of other stuff too.

Another one of our fine, upstanding, elected politicians who insist that we treat them with respect....

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Breaking news.
Alex Salmond charged with two attempted rapes and multiple claims of sexual assault

It looks like wee Alex may have been a naughty little nationalist.
What will Nicola Sturgeon say?
Ouch. Those are very serious charges - far more serious than I expected..

If proven in court, the SNP is about to take a major reputation hit.

I would also wonder why the hell Wee Eck crowd funded an appeal against the way the SNP investigated him internally, when the charges investigated by the police were far more serious - and what I would expect him to concentrate on fighting.

Wordsmith

DAS

Old-Salt
Would the thread title not read better if it were accurate? Attempted rape I believe.

Big charges, if they back fire, found not guilty etc, hell to pay from the SNP, who are not the most understanding forgiving bunch.

Would the thread title not read better if it were accurate? Attempted rape I believe.
Multiple counts of sexual assault. Two counts of attempted rape. And one of breach of the peace. Happy now?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The last trial of a politician this serious was Jeremy Thorpe back in the 1970's.

Thorpe affair - Wikipedia
The Thorpe affair of the 1970s was a British political and sex scandal that ended the career of Jeremy Thorpe, the leader of the Liberal Party and Member of Parliament (MP) for North Devon. The scandal arose from allegations by Norman Josiffe (otherwise known as Norman Scott) that he and Thorpe had a homosexual relationship in the early 1960s, and that Thorpe had begun a badly-planned conspiracy to murder Josiffe, who was threatening to expose their affair.
Wordsmith

Multiple counts of sexual assault. Two counts of attempted rape. And one of breach of the peace. Happy now?
only when you edit the thread title.

They are not faffing around with a bit of misconstrued gropery then...
He faces charges over 14 allegations, said Scotland's prosecuting office: two attempted rapes, nine sexual assaults, two indecent assaults and one breach of the peace.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out - Originally it was reported as two women making the allegations against Wee Eck. Perhaps a certain naivety on my part but why would two women between them give one man thirteen seperate opportunities to (attempt to) rape and/or assault them?

The thirteen offences plus one of breach of the peace are likely just the charges that Police Scotland believe will stand the best chance of achieving a conviction. The sheer number of charges brought against him seems pretty damning.

Mr Salmond said he is "innocent of any criminality whatsoever" as he appeared in court in Edinburgh after being arrested and charged by police. He added: "The only thing I can say is I refute, absolutely, these allegations of criminality and i'll defend myself to the utmost in court
Interesting times for the SNP, for Holyrood and for Scottish politics generally...

Given the number and nature of the charges, I suspect that the Procurator Fiscal was more than content with the evidence gathered by Police Scotland-I wish them every success.
Aye. It's quite a number of charges. The Scottish Police must be very confident.

Given the number and nature of the charges, I suspect that the Procurator Fiscal was more than content with the evidence gathered by Police Scotland-I wish them every success.
My thoughts exactly. The Procurator must have a solid case otherwise wee Eck will be using every dirty trick in the book to squirm his way off.
Bet the crowd funders are pleased that their money isn't going to waste, now he needs some very heavyweight (read hugely expensive) legal representation. I expect that he'll pass the hat around again.

Aye. It's quite a number of charges. The Scottish Police must be very confident.
Not Police Scotland, it's the Procurator Fiscal who decides to take charges forward.
Not in Kansas now Dorothy ;-)

We had wondered why the odious little toad was so quiet while the Brexit feeding frenzy was in full flow as it is a happy hunting ground for the deluded separatists. Although we have to bear in mind that he is of course an ex-politician (ex-MP, ex-MSP, ex-First Minister) and soon to be ex-TV presenter so no longer really sought for his input as lack of influence equates to lack of validity in the eyes of the MSM (and having a show on RT is as credible as reading the news on North Korean Telly). Although they do like to interview the odd ex-something in order to stir the pot a little, especially if it is a slow news week, that isn't often as it makes the interviewee believe they are suddenly relevant again instead of just a tool being used for our amusement and that is like kicking a puppy.

Of course up here in Jockland he was recently fighting the Scottish Government (or was it just Parliament and mis-reported?) on the investigation process into complaints of sexual harassment which he 'won' (Wee Nippy is on record as apologising to the complainants for letting them down - kudos deserved for that one) but I for one am happy if the battle has been lost if the war is won.

Looking at this one with a very keen interest. To many, he IS the SNP. The crown may not be so shiny now. But for the most rabid conspiraloons (of which there are disturbingly many here) they will ardently believe this is a secret Westminster plot to discredit Saint Alexsi, even if he gets sent down. Clowns.

Hold on - ASDA have arrived at the door with delivery of beer and popcorn. Seems they needed an HGV for this one . . .

No... you didn't get the two counts of indecent assault into the title... try:

"Alex Salmond charged with multiple counts of sexual assault two counts of indecent assault, two counts of attempted rape and one count of breach of the peace".​

You could get the 'Longest Thread Title of the Year 2019' award.

My thoughts exactly. The Procurator must have a solid case otherwise wee Eck will be using every dirty trick in the book to squirm his way off.
Bet the crowd funders are pleased that their money isn't going to waste, now he needs some very heavyweight (read hugely expensive) legal representation. I expect that he'll pass the hat around again.
Whatever defence 'team' he manages to cobble together, I suspect that they'll lean long and hard on the recent hearing whereby the Scottish government conceded that they had acted unlawfully by appointing an investigating officer who had "prior involvement" in the case.

Salmond sexual harassment probe 'unlawful'

. . . but now, he has to answer to questions of conduct as opposed to challenging a procedural matter. This one could run longer than 'The Mousetrap'.